Author Topic: Bentley BR2 Propeller  (Read 3068 times)

Offline sparkplug

Bentley BR2 Propeller
« on: January 24, 2018, 05:32:30 PM »
Hi. All.
         Almost at the end of my BR2 build but I'm finding it difficult to source a suitable propeller.   The Blackmore plans call for a prop to be hand crafted, I'm okay with metal but my wood working skills are few.    Does anyone know of an off the peg propeller supplier with a prop that's suitable for this particular engine, a 28-10 would be ideal, the central boss needs to be no smaller than 2.625''.
  Thanks.

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
Re: Bentley BR2 Propeller
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 10:57:22 PM »
If I have one I'd happily lend it, but unfortunately my own inventory tops out at 24" diameter - the largest motors I ever flew were 60cc and the 28" to 32" props go with the 100cc+ motors.

So my first port of call would be Punctilio in Attleborough (01953 456688; propellers@btconnect.com). They manufacture a large range of wooden props for model aircraft, drones and microlights. They are (or were) a family business - give them a call and see if they can help. Punctilio are the source most likely to have the sort of hub-size you're looking for.

Failing them any of the model shops catering to the large-aircraft fraternity would probably offer a range of 28-10 props, but you'd have to check with them on hub sizes. Most of these will have a hub that is just pilot-drilled (usually 10mm or 1/2"). Even Hobbyking (the hong-kong-based discounter) carry a number of chinese-made props in that sort of size.

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 01:13:33 AM »
Assuming you are in the UK - based on Allen's response ...
You can try this shop - https://www.propguy.co.uk/shop/painted-scimitar-wwi/
No affiliation.  The link should take you to a pre finished scimitar available as a 28x10. I'm sure they can tell you what the hub dimensions are.
Poking around the site and you'll find other options.

Offline mikemill

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 10:06:23 AM »
Hi Sparky

You say your wood working skills are not up to making a prop, I can assure you it’s not that difficult if you follow Blackmore's method, try one out on a scrap piece of wood, just think it’s a chunk of metal go on have a go what have you got to lose. I think you would be very lucky to find a different layered wood prop of that size.

Mike

Offline sparkplug

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 12:32:10 PM »
Hi. Mike.
            I tried Propguy, who has a range of propellers in stock, but when I asked for the boss width of their 28 x 10 props the emails stopped!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 01:19:47 PM »
Hi Sparky - I too have a Bentley on the go though I fear it will not get as far as yours  :-\

Regarding the prop though I would echo Mike Mills suggestion and have a go yourself. It really isn't that difficult providing you follow the relevant procedure. Apart from a fair number of clamps for the lamination little tooling is required to achieve a good result.

Though much smaller I've made a few props in my time but the principal is the same. I described the making of the props for the Atomatic diesels which may be of help and give you an idea of the process involved

Post 222 onwards here
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,3233.210.html

Hope that's of use

Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline sparkplug

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 05:59:00 PM »
Hi. Allen.    I'm talking to John at Propellers and he's confident he can make me a suitable prop, so I'll wait to see what comes of it.   Thanks for the link.

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 09:13:27 PM »
Hi. Allen.    I'm talking to John at Propellers and he's confident he can make me a suitable prop, so I'll wait to see what comes of it.   Thanks for the link.

I was pretty confident they could - glad I could help.

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 08:26:35 PM »
You can always use a "club" prop for short term testing, no?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal