Author Topic: Spitfire  (Read 4026 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: Spitfire
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 07:41:32 PM »
I guess I’m just not enough of an adrenaline junky. I do have a PPL, though not current. I enjoyed every minute of straight and level flight that I have flown. I also hated every minute of stall and unusual attitude instruction. It wasn’t even required to demonstrate spin recovery (thank God) when I got my ticket, just demonstrate the knowledge. The pilots that fly or have flown fighter aircraft are a breed of their own in my opinion. When you also consider the age of the young chaps that flew the aircraft of the Spitfire’s era with probably a lot fewer hours than it takes to get a PPL today, it’s quite impressive ( also speaks of the generation) . I hope y’all have a blast and have this pilots prayers for a safe landing. As for me, I’m happy with trimming the aircraft for altitude and bearings and wouldn’t hesitate for a second to ask ATC for an altitude change if things started to get bumpy   :lolb:. BTW, video footage posted here is a must  :stir:

Godspeed
Cletus

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 10:23:37 AM »
Been there...done it     Well not quite :Lol:   Mine had no engine and was a mock-up to raise funds for British Legion.  The guys said it was more fun than selling poppies!  Cumbria Steam Gathering a couple of years ago, £10 to sit in and get a photo.            Terry

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 08:48:30 PM »
I hardly ever fly straight and level.  :embarassed:

When I did my PPL spinning was not part of the syllabus. However, the CFI at the Cambridge Flying Group stated that since the Tiger Moth would spin he expected to see three turns of a spin and recovery in each direction as part of the GFT.

In the old days when farmers burnt straw after harvest we used to play a game in gliders; climb to the top of the fire (could be 5000ft), spin down to 1000ft, re-enter and climb to the top then repeat. In retrospect that was rather pushing our luck as the old certification requirements were only for recovery after five (I think?) turns. After that you're on your own.

Andrew

Offline Swarf Maker

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 11:49:27 PM »
When I was doing my PPL I indicated to my instructor that I was going to avoid flying over a straw burning field. "No, don't bother", came the instruction, so I tightened my seat belt. He didn't. Guess whose head bounced off the cockpit ceiling!

By the time I was flying gliders the stubble burning had been out-lawed. Always knew that I had missed some fun!

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 09:45:07 AM »
If you come to Christchurch(NZ), get your self to the Air force museum, you can fly a simulated flight on a bombing raid on Amiens Prison in a Mosquito. Controls all rigged to real life feel by crew who flew the real thing.
Not sure if they are still there, but there used to be simulators forthe A-4K Skyhawk, Strikemaster, and I think there was a Harvard, but as the Mossie has just been done up, the others may be getting the same treatment.
Ian S C

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2018, 11:21:27 AM »
By the time I was flying gliders the stubble burning had been out-lawed. Always knew that I had missed some fun!

Very definitely! Although they could be rough. I reckoned one was in control of the situation if you were somewhere between the stall and rough air speed, and the right way up. The lift could be good too, I timed one at about 2000ft/min. However, it's a bit disconcerting seeing burning straw going past; when you're in a wood and fabric glider.  :o

One idea we had was to carry milk bottles full of petrol. If you got low you could always light one and lob it out of the window into the stubble.  ;D

Andrew

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal