Author Topic: Greetings from MA  (Read 1662 times)

Offline bouch

Greetings from MA
« on: January 22, 2018, 04:28:02 PM »
Hi folks,

I first joined a few years ago, but drifted away.  I'm back, but I've realized I never posted an "introduce yourself" topic...

My name's Mike, and I've been involved in live steam/model engineering since I was 4.  I'm 50 now.  We have home movies showing me riding the trains at Pioneer Valley Live Steamers and Waushakum Live steamers from the early 70s.

When I was in high school, I started building a 3.5" live steam 4-6-0, and messed up some parts (all 6 axle boxes, for starters)  So I started building stationary engines to learn how to do machining before I ruined any more locomotive parts.  Life has gotten in the way occasionally (marriage, kids, divorce, illnesses), but I'm still actively involved in the hobby.

A few years ago, I made a new years resolution to not start any new projects until I finished an existing one.  That got me working again on a reasonably large model I had bought the castings for and started machining 20+ years ago.  Its a 1.5" bore x 3.5" stroke horizontal stationary engine, flywheel is about 10.5" diameter, overall length around 21".  The guy who made the castings has all but disappeared, which is a shame because they're rather nice hunks of cast iron.

The drawings were, um, basic.  Hand drawn sketches with dimensions missing and/or wrong.  I re-drew the plans in Draftsight before I started working on the engine again.  I still need to determine the length of the connecting rod and eccentric rod from the assembly.

So, here's where I am now on this engine.  Its looking like an engine, but still a lot to do (crosshead, connecting rod, and the entire valve gear (simple eccentric, no reversing gear)  I also have a set of governor castings from the Coles Cretors popcorn engine that I'm planning on adding at some point.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Greetings from MA
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 04:38:56 PM »
Welcome  back Mike! Nice looking engine there and you have a good start on it for sure. With all that cast iron it's going to be a hefty one too!!  Will look forward to following you progress on it and hope you will pick up with a build log as well.

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 04:57:54 PM »
Hey Mile....welcome!
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 05:08:32 PM »
Hi Mike,
Welcome (back) to the forum!
Kim

Offline Alex

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 09:05:28 PM »
Hi Mike; We do know each other, as I'm the Canadian with a French 2-8-2 in 3-1/2" gauge, and you helped me unload it *years ago* at WLS. I do ask about you from some of the other MA people that I see around, like DonR. Maybe we'll cross paths this summer - keep an eye out for the 2-8-2, ok?

Nice to see you back in the fray - I have taken time off when life and or work has gotten in the way - it is a hobby after all.

John.

Offline bouch

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 03:04:33 PM »
Looks like a few people know me from "real life" ;)  Good to see you online as well.

An yes, its a heavy chunk of iron.  I figure its about 40 lbs (18 Kg) right now, but hopefully it won't get too much heavier.  Its going to need a substantial carrying box...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal