Author Topic: Big stroke 55 cc one cylinder ICE  (Read 20207 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Big stroke 55 cc one cylinder ICE
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2019, 01:43:50 PM »
I admire your support tower for the camshaft and how the rockers act directly on the valves. Nice design, nice engine.---Brian

Offline AlexS

« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2019, 06:46:00 PM »
Thanks guys!

First try with oil was 300 ml ish. But this gave too much splashing oil in the crankcase. Such that at higher revs a reasonable amount of oil came out of the crankcase ventilation hole (no pcv valve/hose for now).
Get some oil out so there the crankshaft barely touch the oil bath. And modified valve timing (lobe degree) to compensate the very very unusual opening time of the exhaust valve. I think this caused 'some' pressure in the carter, because old timing openend the exhaust after bodem dead center ;)

The base circle of the exhaust cam should be the same as the intake. But with milling the profile I had milled off too much. So this also result to more exhaust valve clearance than intake. But valve clearance was easy to modified, by make the hole bigger  mounting block of the exhaust rocker assembly. Next time exhaust should be the same base circle as intake (15 mm instead of 13.16 mm).

Recently I have written down all notes and adjustments of the latest tests. This also applies to the valve timings and clearances.

Timing first starts with old camshaft axis.

- Intake
Valve Clearance: 0.6 mm
Valve lift: 4.1 mm (4.7 mm - 0.6 valve clearance)

Opening: 28 BTDC
Closing: 8 BBDC
Duration: 200 deg

- Exhaust
Valve Clearance: 0.5 mm
Valve lift: 3.83 mm (4.33 mm - 0.5 valve clearance should be 3.7-0.2)

Opening: 28 ABDC
Closing: 19 ATDC
Duration: 171 deg

Valve overlay: 47 deg

Lobe separation angle: 128.5 deg

Second timing. Goal to run with current cams but trying to get some early opening timing of both valves.

- Intake
Valve Clearance: 0.2 mm (minimum)
Valve lift: 4.5 mm (4.7 mm - 0.2 valve clearance)

Opening: 1 ATDC
Closing: 34 ABDC
Duration: 213 deg

- Exhaust
Valve Clearance: 0.3 mm
Valve lift: 4.03 mm (4.33 mm - 0.3 valve clearance should be 3.7-0.2)

Opening: 13 BBDC
Closing: 2 ATDC
Duration 195 deg

Valve overlay: 1 deg

Lobe separation angle: 100 deg

For next timing I will try to make an adjustment of the lobe degree to get a duration (with valve clearance in mind) for both cams around 220 deg. And opening intake and closing exhaust around 10 deg. Should be 20 deg valve overlap enough for low-mid rpm performance?

Compression test old camshaft and without oil in crankcase: 5 bar. Latest camshaft 9.77 bar.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 04:48:00 PM by AlexS »

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2019, 11:48:11 AM »
First, nice runner  :cheers:

You are right about the conrod only skimming the top of the oil is more that enough - just look at bearing tables, where the max RPM is a lot higher in a oil mist condition compared to oil bath.

I would had said that your first valve clearance values were much too high, as all my four-stroke bike over the years has between 0.08 and 0.15mm. in cold condition. Clearance in this area depends partly on materials and partly on dimentions, geometry and temperature range.

I'm no expert on this subject, but I would expect that the ideal clearance results in somewhere around 0.001-0.01mm. at max working temperature.

Offline AlexS

« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2019, 04:50:47 PM »
Thanks for input Admiral. I would check what a reasonable valve clearance would be for this engine, I see no big expansions but be sure that valves not openend duo to not 100% round base circle of cams.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2019, 06:50:22 PM »
Alex,
I'm on vacation and just caught up on your build. Good job getting your own design running. :ThumbsUp: I saw the earlier video with the free standing cam with unsupported ends and made a mental note. I would have supported both ends but it obviously works quite well now that the cam is supported. My experience with crankcase splash lube is that to much oil without proper crankcase ventilation causes it to come out EVERYWHERE. Very messy.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline AlexS

« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2019, 07:51:27 PM »
Thanks Art, I agree with the messy part of to much oil. The engine did get lubricated on the inside, but also on the outside.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2019, 01:56:49 AM »
Alex
I can laugh with you on that one! :lolb:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline AlexS

« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2019, 11:11:33 PM »
I saw that the reason for breaking the camshaft axle (support the cams) had to do with some not true 90 deg bored hole in the camshaft support tower.
Two years ago I did bore this hole on a machine at school. I did not notice it before and it was no problem before I added the extra 3rd support bearing with block.
On side to side there was 5 mm (!) difference.
Luckily I could bored to 24.5mm and reamed to 25 at work.

Today I made for this a bearing block to mount the two 608zz bearings. Fitted well and now nearly 90 degree fitment and inline with 3rd support bearing.

Made a drawing of the second version of the exhaust cam. With 0.2mm valve lash in mind to have a duration of ~220 deg instead of 195 and 3.5 mm lift. Coming soon.

After that new camshaft axle. Addition in mind to mill the upper carter surface of compared to camshaft support tower for better mounting and looking of this assembly.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2020, 08:25:25 AM »
Glad that you spotted and corrected that problem  :)  :ThumbsUp: It would have caused you a lot of future problems  :toilet_claw:
Best regards

Roger

Offline AlexS

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2020, 02:27:53 PM »
Yes indeed Roger. Currently I am busy with building a test station to fit the engine. So that I can test it outside + dc fan + gasoline tank. I would show more upgrades of this engine on this forum.

Alex

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2020, 06:22:29 PM »
Building and testing is always fun and a good learning experience  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline AlexS

« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2021, 08:10:09 PM »
Progress and testing from last 1.5 year!

Photo 1. New exhaust cam, now with cam lift 3.5mm and more duration than previous (less sharp edge on cam lobe). Later on welded on camshaft same as intake cam.

Modification of the camshaft pulley to fit a 8mm locking assembly. This to be sure no rotational movement and easy adjustment of camshaft timing! Photo 2 and total assembly at photo 5, here you can see that there is also a locking assembly fitted in the flywheel.
Big upgrade, because flywheel rotated a bit after quick acceleration of the engine and moved ignition timing. Also now easy fitting of flywheel.

Photo 3. For in the future driving a dynometer (work in progress :) or something else, a pulley is needed to fit the output shaft. Also here fitting a locking assembly 15mm for 8M 20 timing chain.

For better and tunable ignition timing a pickup plate has been made. So now you can fix that Chinese hall sensor better on the engine! Timing can now quick been modified around 15 degrees. Another option is to lose the locking assembly of the flywheel to set the base ignition timing. This shown in photo 4 and 5 (difficult to see, see next assembly pictures).

Offline AlexS

« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2021, 08:23:54 PM »
Testing the engine shows that it pops quit hard and so a large force caused to bend the top plate of the crankcase. This cylinder is mounted to the top plate but the middle part is not fixed to be stiff enough.

So there is an crankcase reinforcement been made. Photo 1, 2, 3 shows the extra beams to fix the top plate better to the rest of the crankcase. As you can see the beams are different, because in the top plate two extra holes are made. One hole for oil input and the other for fixing an crankcase breather (the breather showed later on).

The crankcase is now more solid. Now to the next upgrade. First the crankshaft axial movement was blocked by two circlips. But they did not resist the force and is not best way to do I discover later (same as making cuts in shaft for weak spots).
To prevent to much movement, axial bushes/bearings do the job. Aluminium pieces to set the crank right in the middle of the crankcase. Job done.

Offline AlexS

« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2021, 08:29:09 PM »
It is nice to have oil in an engine. And it is nicer to stay in the engine :old:

So to realise this, a crankcase breather was born. The little breather come to earth quit easy and do the trick with some foam inside it. There is still a little bit oil leakage, but only between cylinder bore and top plate of crankcase. Only needed to modified cylinder for a O-ring. On the to do list!

Offline AlexS

« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2021, 08:42:39 PM »
The engine wants some damping.

And exhaust has been made. All from stainless steel that I have laying around.

Total exhaust volume 125cc factor 2.3 of the engine displacement. 8 mm inlet and outlet diameter. 18 mm silencer expansion pipe, 37 mm inside diameter of the silencer. Holes has been bored in the expansion pipe of 2 and 3.5mm. Damping wool used to fill the silencer.

The engine produce now nice and quiet sound!

Photo 6 shows also the crankcase breather located on the top plate.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal