Author Topic: R8 Drawbar Questions  (Read 6689 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Re: R8 Drawbar Questions
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 08:26:24 PM »
Kim - I took these two pics earlier this morning 'just in case' - I think perhaps they are worth posting

Not wishing to labour a point but just in case you missed the significance of my previous post but this mod to the draw bar eliminates any need for spacers as the 'floating' nut takes care of any differences in draw bar length (within the limit of the thread length of course)

This is the draw bar made for the new mill - The top nut is held with one spanner the lower tightened to cinch up the tooling.

And this is the one fitted to the old Linley machine sometime in 1970. In fact I don't use a second spanner on the top nut on this machine just gripping across the belt to nip the pulley is sufficient to allow the tooling to be tightened. Neither drawbars have ever had to be removed.

A simple mod and one well worth investigating - or am I missing something here :old:

Whatever, good luck with however you solve your problem and enjoy that new mill

Regards - Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 10:34:48 PM »
Ahh... Thanks Tug!  Yes, the picture makes it very clear indeed!  I do like that idea.  You've made it into an adjustable length draw bar that way!

I may be investigating this method too!

Thanks for the great photos!
Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 04:47:33 AM »
Well, I was going to put another nut on the upper threaded portion of my draw bar like Tug's picture, but I couldn't get the Hex end off.  I tried for a while then just gave up and made a 1/2" spacer.  And that works great.  I can now tighten up all my collets just fine!

Next I'll have to make a spanner for the quill (measured it and its 43mm) but that will come later.

Thanks!
Kim

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 12:58:40 PM »
That's a pity Kim, guess they thread locked it or something as well as the roll pin  :-\

Still you're now sorted - that's the main thing  :ThumbsUp:

Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 03:49:22 PM »
Yeah, I don't know what they did, but it just wouldn't budge.  And I didn't want to risk scaring up the pretty new draw bar by trying too hard to remove it.  So I just put the roll pin back in and did the spacer.

Thanks for all the help Tug & everyone!
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal