Author Topic: Great Calculator for visual impaired .. and others  (Read 2152 times)

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
Great Calculator for visual impaired .. and others
« on: January 19, 2018, 02:59:26 AM »
As my eyes continue to deteriorate, legally blind in one and 20/200 in the other, I have been looking for a suitable replacement for my trusty HP calculators. I never found a physical calculator that would suit me. Needed large high contrast display and keys marking.. Also needed to be RPN and have a good set of scientific/engineering functions. Never found a physical one, but did find PCalc,, an app for the iPhone an d iPad. The app cost about US$10.

Besides being a good scientific calculator, the great thing about PCalc is that most every thing can be configured to your individual needs/desires. Key colors and layouts are flexible and can be configured for high contrast ant be rearranged to some extent. Key lettering can change fonts and be made bold. It also works in either RPN or algebra mode with one key to switch.

I won't bore you with the many other details here is a link to the website that explains it much better than I could ever do. Many photos of configurations.

http://www.pcalc.com/iphone/

Here is a photo of my full size iPad as currently conifgured.

Gail in NM
I would like to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Great Calculator for visual impaired .. and others
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 11:08:14 AM »
Nice looking App - though not for me as it can't be installed on my phone ...

I have missed updates on the Hornsby Crawler from you and wondered if you are OK ....

Best wishes

Per

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 03:38:10 PM »
Too bad it's not available for android devices yet. It looks interesting!!

Bill

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 09:13:36 PM »
Quote from: Admiral_dk
I have missed updates on the Hornsby Crawler from you and wondered if you are OK ....
PER   --  The crawler project is not dead.   I had a step decrease in vision when I left off on the thread that left me unable to machine some parts as drawn.  They have been redrawn so I can make them but I have spent the last few months upgrading the shop to make it more friendly to a blind old man like me.  I will update the thread with details soon.

Bill -- I doubt that the Pcalc author will do an Android version.  He seem to only do IOS apps.

Gail in NM
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:25:48 AM by Jo »
I would like to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal