Author Topic: New here  (Read 2479 times)

Offline AlexS

New here
« on: January 14, 2018, 10:29:09 PM »
Hey I am new here, my name is Alex.

Recently I am a couple of months busy with building my first model engine. Later on I would start a forum about the one cilinder four stroke.
My goal is to realize a reliable engine and opportunity to improve it, and maybe in a later stage add a homemade dynometer.

I upload a pic of how the engine nowadays look like. There is a lot to build and to adjust!

Greets Alex

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: New here
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 10:35:05 PM »
Hi Alex and welcome to MEM. Looks like you have a nice start on your engine. I hope you will consider doing a build log as you progress along. As you will see, we love pictures.

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 11:01:52 PM »
Hi Alex,
Welcome to the forum!
Kim

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 09:08:08 AM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

What bore and stroke is your engine? I am also making my own designs and have done some load testing. By the news paper I guess you are from the Netherlands.
Best regards

Roger

Offline AlexS

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 07:22:33 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!!

Sure I would doing a build log. And show some pictures of the process of the recent months.

Roger, the bore is 39 mm and 46 mm stroke. So a big stroke 55 cc engine. I want to make a low to mid range running engine. So around 3000 rpm max. For hopefully smooth running for low rpm, I have to add a 120 mm diameter flywheel at the front of the engine. Maybe it is nicer to have two similar flywheels for front and at the rear of the engine. But at the back there would be fitted pulley to drive an oil pump of a scooter.

I want to make most of the parts by myself. But given that this is my first engine, I also use existing components. Such as piston, valve springs and a spark plug.

Offline AlexS

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 07:24:28 PM »
And I forgot to tell, yes I am from the Netherlands  ;)

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 07:46:05 PM »
There are a couple of other guys from the Netherlands on the Forum. I am near Zurich. My engines are also my own design so there are plenty of bugs to find and a lot to learn.  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 09:39:14 PM »
Hi Alex, welcome to the group.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 10:46:38 PM »
Welcome Alex,
from another Dutchman

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 12:13:13 AM »
I was in the Netherlands some years ago on business and I was lost.
Some people could tell I was lost, that I was foreigner, and without my asking, they helped me get to where I needed to go.
Such kindness and help I've seen in other places but that particular experience is a very fond memory.

Welcome to the forum!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline AlexS

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 10:54:56 PM »
Hello all!

Nice to see that there are more people here coming from Holland.

Zeeprogrammer, I think it is quiet normal to help, in particular, foreigners. I think, if I needed help, I also wanted someone to help me.
But that is something you encounter in several places. I was helped several times at the time when my old car was broken.
For example, an older man helped me to push the car. He told me he also had one many years ago, and so we had a conversation. So simpel.

Roger, are all men born in Swiss born to be good machinist/engineer? Because that's where good machines come from, except bikes from Ktm ...  ;)  (kuch , Japan bike fan, kuch kuck)  But you are right, it is own designed, and have to trail and error. But that is what I liked about it. But have to say that I make several calculations for mechanic etc, to be sure.

Today I have finished the crankshaft. And pressed it together. At the weekend I would upload some photos!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 12:14:46 AM »
Alex, you may want to start a new thread in the appropriate Engines section to post your ongoing progress. More will see it there I think.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal