Author Topic: Cameras - Suggestions?  (Read 5419 times)

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
Re: Cameras - Suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 05:33:14 AM »
Hi Zee, mine is a Panasonic LUMIX TZ60.  It has 10x optical zoom which I use often for bird shots in the outdoors, (the feathered kind), with the anti shake it is fine hand held, though a tripod would be better, usually too bulky to carry.  But I zoom in to help with close up shots to minimise that wide angle perspective and keep the camera further from steam and oil.   Best feature is the eye level view finder , as sunshine at the beach or snow really blacks out a conventional screen.  Has all the features needed, it is my computer "futzing" that lets me down, not the camera.  I also use an older model of the same for forum shots as I can set it to lower resolution for shots that are easier to post as attachments.

Perhaps a bit big for shirt pockets, but not so big that I ever leave it home for skiing, walking or whatever.

Good luck with which ever you choose.  Looking forward to seeing you back in the shop with those new machines.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 06:55:09 AM »
Hi Karl,
only to increase your pain what to choice.
I am using a small Sony (Cybershot DSC-WX80) since a couple of years.
This camera has also the WIFI function and at the beginning I didnīt know what to do with it until I have made my first video. That was the one of of 16 valve steam engine.
Sony has a very useful APP for the smart phone or the tablet to use it as a remote control for the camera.
You can site your camera with a tripod at a good view to your object while you are in an other, comfortable (my bag is getting older) position, i.e. to operate the model you would like to record with the camera.
At the tablet screen, you get a perfect picture of all what your camera is seeing in real time and you are able to start and stop any recording.

My 2 (Euro) cents only.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 08:45:08 AM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 11:24:53 AM »
Thanks guys.

I went with the Canon ELPH 190.

I almost went with the 180 as I didn't think I'd use the wi-fi and having the extra zoom doesn't seem to come into play for my purpose.
Buy my wife, who is a bit more attracted to shiny technology, pointed out some of the potential of the wi-fi.

@Achim...glad you mentioned that about video. It reminded me of similar issues in the past when I was doing video. I feel better about my choice.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 02:14:23 PM »
Zee, I just recently (this summer) was given a cell phone that doesn't "Phone" any longer. (A handmedown from my daughter that bought a new one) And I find that I can carry it around in my pocket and have it ready to take a good pix in seconds. The resolution is even better than my "good"  digital camera. It focuses even quicker and even though the flash doesn't work on it works in pretty any lighting situation I've found down at school in the shop. I've taken dozens of pix of the mill and lathe projects.  SO! if you have some source of one of those :-)
   ...lew...

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 03:04:19 PM »

I almost went with the 180 as I didn't think I'd use the wi-fi and having the extra zoom doesn't seem to come into play for my purpose.
Buy my wife, who is a bit more attracted to shiny technology, pointed out some of the potential of the wi-fi.

I think you, with T's help, picked the right choice of your three options.  A few thoughts...

The camera's size is ideal.  Any photographer will tell you that the best camera is the one you have with you when a good photo opportunity occurs.  Shirtpocket size is ideal.  Ensure that the pocket has a button or put a clip on the camera leash so you can restrain it.  You don't want to lean over and have the thing slide out.

Zoom capability isn't just for shooting distant objects.  It's a great aid in framing your photo so the subject fills most of the frame, a feature important when trying to capture detail.  In some cases zooming on detail from a distance produces better results than the camera's macro function can.

Wifi isn't a technological nightmare.  Given your electronic smarts, it will take only a few minutes to set up and will be a real pleasure to use.  It saves wear and tear on the camera; there's no need to remove the memory card to transfer photos to the computer. 

Save the photos on the computer in the maximum JPEG size the camera produces.  Then resize them for uploading to fora using IrfanView...

http://www.irfanview.com/

which will allow you to crop, add watermarks, annotations, etc..  Great program and free too.

To speed this process as much as possible, I have two folders on my desktop, PICS and PICLETS.  I have the Canon uploading software hardwired to move pictures from camera to PICS and IrfanView is hardwired to look in PICS for input and dump its output into PICLETS which, in turn is the hardwired source in which Use.com looks for photos when I upload to them.  In less than a minute I can move a photo(s) from the camera to display code in a post I'm writing. 
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 03:22:50 PM »
Thanks guys.

@Achim...glad you mentioned that about video. It reminded me of similar issues in the past when I was doing video. I feel better about my choice.

That's great Zee. We'll be looking forward to .................PICTURES!   :stickpoke:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 04:36:31 PM »
Thanks Marv.
I do use zoom quite a bit, even inside. It was more about needing more than what the 180 provided.
Thanks for the tip on the program to auto-move and size. That will be very helpful.

Jim. Once I start posting pictures...it means I'm cutting parts.  ;D
That will be a great day. In the meantime...I'm still struggling with the lathe to get a decent finish on anything.

More on that in another thread. Sigh.
"To work. To work."

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2018, 05:33:19 PM »
If your shop photography is going to involve frequent switching between hand-held and tripod-held, you might want to think about building a quick release with all your sparkling new tools.  My take on the subject can be seen here...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/tripod-quick-release-27215
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 06:52:11 PM »
Love Canons.  I have had many of their older models, and still have a Powershot 450?, which uses regular AA batteries so I don't have to worry about having a charger.  If you are into time lapse photography or just like mucking about with photography and digital circuits, the control logic for all Canon cameras is reversibly hackable (i.e. does not void the warranty) - http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
This can open up a lot of trickery that your camera can do, or just create another rabbit hole to go down :)

I have also broken a lot of digital cameras over the years (I'm rough on tools, I guess), and so bought a water/shock/freeze resistant camera that is my everyday camera (took some nice snorkelling pictures with it, and some video of my youngest son and self swimming with some sea turtles).  That is a Pentax/Ricoh WG-30.  Good camera, and it's survived a lot of abuse.

If I was in the market today, I would look at the Canon Powershot D10.

Oh, and yes, I always shop cameras that are about 5 years old or so, and thus have a fairly large number of reviews, and typically lower prices than new ones.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 07:18:56 PM »
Love Canons.  I have had many of their older models, and still have a Powershot 450?, which uses regular AA batteries so I don't have to worry about having a charger.  If you are into time lapse photography or just like mucking about with photography and digital circuits, the control logic for all Canon cameras is reversibly hackable (i.e. does not void the warranty) - http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
This can open up a lot of trickery that your camera can do, or just create another rabbit hole to go down :)

I have also broken a lot of digital cameras over the years (I'm rough on tools, I guess), and so bought a water/shock/freeze resistant camera that is my everyday camera (took some nice snorkelling pictures with it, and some video of my youngest son and self swimming with some sea turtles).  That is a Pentax/Ricoh WG-30.  Good camera, and it's survived a lot of abuse.

If I was in the market today, I would look at the Canon Powershot D10.

Oh, and yes, I always shop cameras that are about 5 years old or so, and thus have a fairly large number of reviews, and typically lower prices than new ones.
I have one of the powershot D10 - love it since it is waterproof, use it out on the boats or beach. Limited zoom, but durable. Also used it for some underwater views of the RC submarines.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 07:29:52 PM »
Initial review...

I still have a lot to learn and much to get used to...but overall I'm satisfied.
I was dismayed at first when it seemed there wasn't an alternative to using the battery but found a kit that allows you to plug the camera into the wall for power.
Main issue is going to be what people refer to as paws for my hands. The camera is small but should be handier than lugging my bigger 'no longer workie' camera.

My tripod does have quick release but I'm probably going to have to make a new mount.
The existing one prevents removing the battery and smart card and no doubt will be a problem when I get the power adapter.

I took a look at the wi-fi instructions. Despite what people will say...it looks like a nightmare in the making for me so I'll wait until I have sufficient quiet time and no one's around when I start screaming my frustration.

No doubt in hindsight I'll find it to be easy.
I don't know what it is...but it always seems that what I think should be intuitive is not.

On that note, if you care to continue reading, I'll share today's two rantings....

1) Why change what wasn't broken or move things just to make it different? I needed the computer's control panel today. It wasn't there. I had to resort to googling to find out that now I have to type in 'control panel' in the search bar to get it. Used to be a right-click and it was listed.
2) For some reason my external keyboard keeps disconnecting and sometimes reconnecting. It's maddening. Found one solution to turn off power management but that didn't work. Another solution referenced the power adapter as failing. I disconnected other devices to reduce the load. Still happens.

All of which happened after the 'forced' upgrade to Windows 10.

I use both Mac and Windows and I prefer Windows. I won't go open-source.

I just wish MS would stop moving my cheese. Or making decisions for me without asking or notifying.

Time for a break.
"To work. To work."

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 09:24:29 PM »
Got the camera connected via wi-fi to the computer.
A few fits and starts.
Initial installation of software failed because media player was missing.
That took a bit of work to understand all I had to do was enable it.
Next bit was figuring out what a WPS button is. That was easier than finding it.
Mainly because I couldn't identify it (I couldn't read the small letters) and didn't want to chance mucking up our home network.
After that...it was fairly straight forward.
As usual...some of the instructions are outdated since MS likes to move things around.

Looks like the only way to remotely control the camera is by smart phone. Too bad.
"To work. To work."

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 10:53:59 PM »
And now for my (I hope) last post in this thread.
After much  :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: to the point I was scaring T...I finally got the app loaded on my phone and was able to remotely take a picture and download it.
Once again...Apple (like MS) moved my cheese. The source of much  :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:
I couldn't get to my apps through iTunes. Tried the phone. Much going back and forth with username and passwords.

On the plus side...Apple and MS seems to have better security than our own government. I'm currently dealing with some piece of crap that tried to apply for my social security.
I've already dealt with some piece of crap trying to get an IRS refund.

But that doesn't excuse changing things for no good reason.
I haven't used my signature expletive for quite a while. "crap, crap, and crap".

So I'm leaning back now with a 'stinking hoppie' in hand. Trying to chill.

Next job...maybe 3d print of a holder for the camera. Or an extension to the quick release to clear the power cord.

Nah. Now's the time to relax and not deal with any puzzles.

Rats. I have to go to work tomorrow.

crap crap and crap

;D
"To work. To work."

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 11:11:12 PM »
My biggest source of frustration has been product people who think that by moving or changing things they've 'created' something new and necessary, when in fact all they've done is bullshit the boss into giving them a raise.

Change is NOT progress!!! >:(

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 11:22:15 PM »
My biggest source of frustration has been product people who think that by moving or changing things they've 'created' something new and necessary, when in fact all they've done is bullshit the boss into giving them a raise.

Change is NOT progress!!! >:(

Pete

:ThumbsUp:
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal