Author Topic: New lathe  (Read 1976 times)

Offline tinkerer

New lathe
« on: January 10, 2018, 11:20:50 PM »
I just bought a 7X14" lathe. Haven't gotten it yet, but it'll be a learning experience LOL I've never used much in the way of metal working tools except cutting & welding torch & a grinder. I always took wood shop & auto shop in school & drafting. But never took metal or machine shop. I'm a whiz when it comes to wood, but metal is something else LOL
You never know what you can do, till you try. Don't be afraid to try & fail. We learn more from our failures than our successes.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
Re: New lathe
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 11:55:59 PM »
I was in a similar situation to you a couple of years ago, I had never used a lathe but bought a little 8x16 machine to try and make small engines :-) It was the best thing I ever bought and only sold it recently to upgrade to a bigger machine.

Everyone will have their own opinion as to what tooling an accessories you'll need but for me I just bought a cheap bench grinder and a dozen bits of HSS blanks to make my own cutting tools. Armed with a few bits of scrap bar stock I just turned random sizes with homemade tools and just played around with feed rates etc till I saw what worked. With the tool bits some worked and some didn't but I just kept guessing and regrinding - eventually you'll get the hang of things.

I'd just spend a week making swarf and maybe trying to turn to a specific size then look at making a simple wobbler engine.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 12:16:51 AM »
Congrats on the new acquisition. Once you get the metalworking bug, it's hard to let go of, though there is still a place for the brown stuff too ;)

Pics please when it arrives.

Bill

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 03:12:38 AM »
Just consider the metal lathe like a wood one. it makes thick stuff thinner just pretend its hardwood. :Jester:
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 03:33:01 AM »
I come from a woodworking background myself. I've really been enjoying learning metal machining. The only downside is that I find myself measuring the cuts on the table saw with my micrometer.  :hammerbash:

Bill is correct. Metal machining does get to be somewhat addictive.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 04:04:53 AM »
Thanks guys I'm really looking forwards to making little ones out of big ones LOL I've always loved working on my wood lathe. My wife just laughs when I talk about "playing" with my power tools & the lathe in particular. But I've always been lucky. If it had to do with tools? I could do it they just come naturally to me. I've a self taught silversmith & lapidary too. I have plenty of grinders & a good drill press & a band saw I can at least cut aluminum & brass on. So I'm well on the road. I just ordered a cross feed table for my drill press. So some minor milling operations I should be able to do. I also have a good friend that has a large lathe & Bridgeport mill I can call on for advice & help. I have experience in pattern making too, I made the casting patterns for the front suspension on a road race sports special he built a few years ago. May do some casting of my own with my forge burners.LOL.
You never know what you can do, till you try. Don't be afraid to try & fail. We learn more from our failures than our successes.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 09:42:37 AM »
I wouldn't recommend using a drill press and cross feed table for milling specially if the chuck in the drill press is fitted to the spindle via a taper, Jacobs into the chuck, and Morse into the spindle, the sideways action of milling will cause the tapers to fall out, I know 'cause that's how I started.
Ian S C

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal