Author Topic: High temp coating  (Read 2782 times)

Offline tinkerer

High temp coating
« on: January 16, 2018, 06:14:51 PM »
Has anyone looked into/used the high temp coatings they use on automotive headers? I'm just wondering if those coatings might be good for the longevity inside a boiler for a locomotive. I'm not sure of the temp ratings on regular powder coatings. But if the header coatings will stand up to those temps. Then a boiler certainly should not adversely effect them.
You never know what you can do, till you try. Don't be afraid to try & fail. We learn more from our failures than our successes.

Offline tinkerer

Re: High temp coating
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 06:16:53 PM »
A PS: I'm talking about the inside of the boiler shell if it's steel. Not the tubes as it might affect the heat transfer.
You never know what you can do, till you try. Don't be afraid to try & fail. We learn more from our failures than our successes.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 06:37:05 PM »
Good use of boiler treatment will cover the inside with a tannin coating which will help prevent corrosion.

https://www.heritagesteamsupplies.co.uk/water-treatment.html

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 08:43:00 PM »
I have never tried the header paint but I have used grill paint meant for gas grills and it seemed to hold up pretty good.

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 09:55:50 PM »
By "inside of the boiler shell" - you mean the fire side, not the water side, right?  Yes, I could see various flame-spray coatings used effectively there, as with combustion chambers and valve ends on IC engines.  Toughest thing is getting tooling small enough that the spray coating can be effectively applied inside the small bores, but they are getting more effective at this every day, so go ask.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal