Author Topic: Lauson LA build  (Read 29961 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Lauson LA build
« Reply #180 on: July 29, 2019, 04:25:05 PM »
Hello Craig,

That is super neat and works so smooth :ThumbsUp:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #181 on: July 29, 2019, 08:03:24 PM »
Splendid  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: That should be capable of starting the engine  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #182 on: July 29, 2019, 08:41:11 PM »
Everything looks amazing so far - one could be forgiven for thinking that first pop is just around the corner  :thinking:    :cheers:     :popcorn:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #183 on: August 28, 2019, 09:59:39 PM »
Thanks for your comments Thomas, Roger, and Admiral.  Thanks for those of you silently stopping by too.

Wow, it’s been a month since I posted an update on this project.  I’ve spent some time in the shop this last month, but family vacations and other issues (like replacing all the windows in the o’le homestead) has been occupying the lion’s share of my time.

I did get to the Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association for their big show this August. I took the Frisco (which refused to show any signs of life at the show  :Mad: though it ran dependably the week before :facepalm:) and my Otto Langen atmospheric IC engine, which ran well all three days I was in attendance :ThumbsUp:.  I also got to spend some time with some of you folks that post here :cheers:.

A main objective while attending the show was to get some pictures, measurements, and information I require for my next project.  I’ll leave that out there as a teaser for now and not inform you of that project yet… but will tell you that the design work has already started :whoohoo:.

Well, back to this little LA Lauson.  As you can see, I have the blower housing and fuel tank made and installed, along with a few other odds and ends.  I still need to do a little sheet metal work, plumbing, and more odds and ends before I’ll call it done.  This engine ran before I put it away a year ago and I haven’t tried to start it since then. I also want to do a little re-work on the carburetor and then I should be ready to see how well it runs.

A few photos of progress to date:

Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #184 on: August 29, 2019, 12:32:38 AM »
Hi Craig,
The engine looks super and the start gears came out great.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #185 on: August 29, 2019, 07:28:26 AM »
Looks good  :praise2:  :praise2: Hope to see a video of the kick start working soon  :)  :wine1:

I know you moved away from the idea of making a magneto but maybe it is possible. How do the dimensions of the Minimag compare to your engine?

http://minimagneto.co.uk/documents/FMK001GA.pdf
Best regards

Roger

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #186 on: August 29, 2019, 01:37:29 PM »
Roger

Pretty neat little device.  It wouldn't do in this case since the magneto needs to allow the crankshaft to pass through it and there isn't enough room to fit it under the flywheel and drive it with a gear or belt.

I have a VW Lauson I built several years ago, where I made a "fake" magneto just to house the points.  I was thinking this might be perfect for it but some quick measuring shows it's too big for that application also.

Thanks for passing on this idea though.  Might have a use for it yet in some future project.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal