Author Topic: Lauson LA build  (Read 30242 times)

Offline AlexS

Re: Lauson LA build
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2018, 08:21:51 PM »
Looking good :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2018, 10:13:44 PM »
Thanks Brian.  I just grab it with a pair of pliers and yank it out.  A little acetone and a brush cleans any residue up.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2018, 11:51:23 PM »
Very nicely done Craig. If it turns over freely, you must have gotten it right ;)

Bill
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 12:19:39 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2018, 12:18:23 AM »
If you use a glue gun and hot glue sticks, the hot glue will peel right off with no mess. The spacer in the gap is more to prevent things moving when the cranks is machined between centers. If you tighten the tailstock enough to work properly that gap will close an alarming amount, and the crank will be crooked as a dogs leg when it comes out of the lathe. All the glue is doing is keeping the spacer in place so it doesn't fly out from centrifugal force.

Offline kvom

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2018, 01:43:40 AM »
I hadn't read this thread for some time and got caught up tonight.

There were two Volstros for sale at the consignment desk at CF this year.  I don't think either sold.  I've only seen one used.  Like rotary tables, CNC does away with the need for these, but they are really impressive works of machinery.

I was surprised that the liner needed to be bored after being pressed into the block.  It seems to be that boring on the lathe would yield less taper than on the mill.  However, if you needed more material in order to facilitate pressing that would explain it.

Looks like some nice work here.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2018, 11:38:07 PM »
Chris, Alex, Bill, Brian, Kirk; thanks for your kind comments.

Brian- your comments on the spacer are spot on.  I’ve always used a spacer.  I can imagine the disappointment if you didn’t.

Kirk- saw the Volstros at Cabin Fever.  They were priced at the top of the going rate so I suspect that’s why they didn’t sell.  I got mine in an eBay auction for under half those prices, I guess I lucked out.

I never tried pressing a thinner liner; I’ve always done it this way.  My Bridgeport bores a concentric hole if you don’t push the boring head with a heavy cut.  I follow this up with a hone (just a spring brake hone) but if there was any taper I suspect I could work it out with the hone.

I’ve been working toward the time I need to fabricate the helical gears that drive the camshaft.  This project is dead if I can’t make acceptable gears. :toilet_claw:  Up thread I talk about the process (thanks again George and Chuck). 

I was so engrossed in making the crankshaft that my single train of thought  didn’t move on to think too much about the gears ::).  Now that I’m there, I thought I would get some leaded steel that’s supposed to be very machine able: I’m thinking I’ll need all the help  I can get.  With that in mind I ordered a bar of 11L17 steel.  It is supposed to machine “like butter” and is a stock used for gearing-  :happyreader: so the literature says.  While I’m waiting for delivery, I thought I’d look into the valves.

I took lots of pictures, some aren’t that clear.  Looks like I’ll need to start using a REAL camera, as opposed to my phone.

I’m using stainless steel for the valves.  Don’t know what type it is; it was a gift from a friend who was closing down his shop.  Here I’ve just started working the piece down to the largest OD.

Once this was accomplished, I needed to center drill the end.  No way can I machine the slender valve stem and expect it to be uniform in width without some support on the end.

Now that the end is supported, I’m working the shaft down to the next diameter step.

Finally, I’m working on the valve stem itself.  One of the things about your own design is that you can change the design as you go.  I had originally specified these valve stems to be .094 dia. :headscratch:  This is ridiculously small for this size of valve.  I changed it to .156 (also re-reamed the valve guides in the block). 

Here I’m just finishing up a valve stem.  They’re still pretty slender.

This is the setup I used to cut the valve lip.  It’s a 60 degree angle and I used the compound on the lathe  to facilitate this.

And a closer view.

After that I cut the valve off the stock and faced it.  (Jo- you following?).  In another thread Jo showed leaving a stub on the top of the valve to facilitate valve grinding. :ThumbsUp:  I commented that this was a GERAT idea and I would certainly be using it on this engine, so of course I forgot all about it till I had faced the top of the valves. :facepalm:   Well, there’s always the NEXT engine.

All the Lauson engines use a pin, captured in a keeper to retain the valve spring.  If it’s good enough for the full size, it’s good enough for the model. :Lol:  Here I’m drilling the hole through the valve stem for the pin.

Since I’m NOT  :wallbang: using Jo’s method for valve grinding, I’ll cut a slot in the valve top and use the traditional screwdriver method.  A woodruff keyway cutter works great for this.

Finally the completed valves. 

While I was at it I lapped them to the valve seats.  One valve needed very little lapping and the other; well, it took a while.  Some keepers and springs and I’ll need to find something else to work on till the gear material arrives.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 03:44:50 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2018, 12:22:19 AM »
More amazing progress Craig. Very impressive.

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2018, 12:31:13 AM »
Craig, I have been following along and just haven’t taken the time to comment and for that I apologize. You my friend, are one of those that should be categorized as a “metal carver” and not just a machinist. I’m really enjoying this build  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:. Funny you showed the valve turning when I checked in tonight. I have a Red Wing that was torn down to paint and upon reassembly, it swallowed the intake valve when trying to restart it. Today I remade the valve and I remembered to leave the “lapping handle” :lolb:. I also tried George Britnell’s suggestion and only left about a .030” wide face on the valve: lapped and sealed much easier than the first one did.  I’m sure you’ve shown, but, how will this one be started? Anyhoo, carry on and I will be following. Y’all come see us,

Cletus

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2018, 07:58:36 PM »
Again thanks to Bill, Cletus, and all others who are following along with this build.  It’s a joy to bring y’all along as I go.  Cletus, thanks for your reference to my skills.  We all bring to this hobby what we can.  There are true “masters” on this site (and I know a few others personally) who’s caliber of work I can only aspire to emulate.

I got home from my volunteer work today and went out to the shop.  It’s a cold, damp, basically raw and nasty day here in North Carolina and though the kerosene heater took the chill off it couldn’t seem to do much about the damp.  I didn’t stay out in the shop long.  The weather later in the week bodes to be considerably better.

I thought I’d finish installing the valves; all I had left to do was to wind some springs and then install the components.  For those of you who haven’t been moved to wind a spring, I’ll show you that it’s deceptively easy.  I have an assortment of music wire from my Hammered Dulcimer building days, so the materials are readily at hand.  For these springs I choose .034 diameter wire (which is the heaviest I have).  I might want a slightly heavier wire, well see how well the valves seat once I get the engine running.

The spring will come out at a slightly larger diameter than the mandrel you wind it on.  This is usually trial-and-error till I come across the right diameter mandrel for the size wire and spring needed.

I put the lathe down on back gears: as slow as it will go.  Chuck an appropriate mandrel in the lathe chuck (I’m using a piece of brass rod).

Turn on the lathe and pull the wire tight against the mandrel.  You want to have a few coils tight together, then form the length of the spring, then finish with a few more coils tight together again.  Wind a few extra at the beginning and end of the spring.  Turn off the lathe, remove the spring and trim the lead-in and lead-out wire stock as required.  (sorry for the blurry picture, it’s hard to hold the wire tight with one hand and operate a camera with the other)

Finally, a view of the springs and valves installed.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 06:27:42 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2018, 09:54:10 PM »
It's coming along nicely Craig. Your weather isn't much better than ours at this point.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2018, 03:07:33 AM »
Craig,
Wanted to let you know that I'm still following along. I have a question about the valves? What is the step between the stem and head of the valve? I have  never seen that before. Never seen the insides of a Lauson either for that matter.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2018, 12:41:50 AM »
Art, you ask an excellent question.  The valve doesn’t look like any valve I’ve ever seen :shrug:, and it doesn’t look like the valve in the full size either. :-[ 

Why did I make it that way :headscratch:?  Well, I mindlessly followed the drawing. :ThumbsUp:
Why was that detail on the drawing? :thinking:  Because the 3-D rendering has that detail and the drawing was auto-created by the software from the 3-D rendering. :ThumbsUp:
So, why does the 3-D rendering have it?   :-[  Uh…. :stickpoke: Er…. :stickpoke:  obviously, when I was designing the valve I was called away during the design for some pressing matter, and later I thought the design was complete. :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:  (at least that’s my story and I’m stick’in to it :lolb:).

I don’t expect the engine to rev like a 2-cycle, but it don’t need any unnecessary weight in the valve train either.  I disassembled the valve train, trimmed off the step, and reassembled.  Thanks for pointing this out, can’t believe this didn’t occur to me also during fabrication. 

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 06:29:45 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2018, 12:56:26 AM »
Hey Craig, maybe you had unknowingly come up with a revolutionary new design....karna and all that stuff. The modified valve does look more conventional though  ;)

Bill

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2018, 01:25:26 AM »
Been there. Done that. Lied like Hell to cover it up!!!---------

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2018, 02:57:18 AM »
Craig,
Glad I could be of service. :lolb: Hind site being 20/20 and all it seems rather humorous. Don't think I'd have missed the valve, something else though, guilty as charged. :ROFL:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal