Author Topic: Lauson LA build  (Read 29966 times)

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
Re: Lauson LA build
« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2018, 01:08:14 AM »
If I knew where to send them, I would !
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2018, 11:07:44 PM »
Thanks to all of you that are hang-in with me on this build. 

Don’t know about y’all (yea, we really say that down here in the sunny south), but it’s at about this point in a build where, to me, things seem to start dragging.  I’ll be taking a two week trip in a week and am traveling up to the St. Laurence river to help a friend with some work at his cottage.  I’m looking forward to it so movement on this project will definitely stop for a few weeks, can’t say I’m not looking forward to the break.  Who knows, maybe they’ll even have my web site fixed by then and all my pictures will re-appear. :Mad:  :NotWorthy:  :embarassed:  :help:

I’m calling the work on this magneto “done” at this point.  I finished all the work I’m planning on doing with it for a while, and I have completed operational points that will actually fit under the flywheel.  :NotWorthy:

At first I meticulously followed my drawings, :happyreader: but it got to a crossroad where I realized that what I had designed might work but wouldn’t be very durable. :Doh:  A re-design caused more problems because when you’re building a scale model, you can’t just change the appearance of the engine to fit some new need.  It took some head scratching :noidea: to work under the constraints of something that would fit under the flywheel, but eventually, perseverance paid off. 

Below is a video of the engine with magneto and points.  The model is like the original, the timing of the engine can’t be adjusted.  I think I have the timing where the engine will run.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt_2LkZbkA8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt_2LkZbkA8</a>

Also, below are two pictures of the points, one with the points closed and another with them open.  I am a bit concerned that the points don’t stay closed very long; possibly at higher RPM, the points might not have a chance to actually close.  If this occurs, I can always cut the lead-in ramp a little longer.

I’m now on to the flywheel.  This is starting as a 5 inch diameter, 2 inch thick chunk of steel.  The shop was blue with smoke this afternoon by the time I managed to get the basic extreme outer dimensions established.  I’ll be doing a lot of carving on this piece, probably 80% will be removed by the time I’m finished. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 08:54:45 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2018, 01:24:37 AM »
Enjoy your break Craig, and the cooler weather too!!

Bill

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2018, 01:37:55 AM »
Craig--On any "long" build, you get to a point where nobody is commenting anymore. It doesn't mean people aren't looking. It just means that everyone who had something to say has already said it. Your post count keeps going up, but the silence is deafening. Take a break. Enjoy helping your friend up on the St. Lawrence. We'll still be following when you pick this up again and begin making progress.---Brian

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2018, 11:09:21 PM »
Yea, maybe you noticed but my pictures up thread are back (so is my web site). :cartwheel: :pinkelephant:  It was only down for a week :killcomputer:  yes, that was intended sarcasm (if you’re bored and have nothing to do :LittleAngel: you can read my RANT :rant: on this at SmokStak.com on the small engine forum).

Brian- Not getting discouraged, just needing a break. ;D  I can’t imagine taking on something like Chris’s steam shovel. :insane:  When he completes it, it will/would look great on the top of the dirt pile at cabin fever. :ThumbsUp:

On a more positive note, progress continued today on the flywheel.  I made lots of swarf to fill the trash and expended lots of time in starting to reduce this lump of steel to something resembling a flywheel.  Here’s a photo of the completed inside.

Before continuing further I wanted to cut the tapered hole for the crankshaft and then cut the taper on the crankshaft to accept the flywheel.  The taper in the flywheel was cut with a tapered reamer; pretty simple.  The taper on the crankshaft was cut on the lathe using the lathe compound which was set to 2.8 degrees.  I don’t know about your lathe, but setting the compound to 2.8 degrees on my lathe was pretty much guess work.  Needless to say, I experimented with a piece of scrap :ThumbsUp: to get the right angle before attempting this on the actual crankshaft.  Once I got the angle right, I switched to the crankshaft and got a fit I’m happy with.  (Yea, I really didn’t want to mess this up and have to make another crankshaft :embarassed:).

Had I not run out of time today, I would have re-assembled the engine and made sure everything cleared under the flywheel.  My CAD software says it will :atcomputer:, but I’ve overlooked things before.

There remains lots of work to complete this flywheel.  I have a few more days I can spend on this before I’m off on my Northern Adventure.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 08:58:48 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2018, 11:28:19 PM »
I build model carburetors based on a design originally developed by Malcolm Stride from the U.K. The throat has an included angle of 16 degrees. Not knowing any better, I bought a tapered spiral flute reamer to use. Gayle from New Mexico warned me to be VERY careful using it, because if there was any "slop" in my tailstock chuck, it would "suck right into the work" and destroy it. Being warned, I tried it on a scrap piece of aluminum . He was absolutely right. It did pull itself into the work to a point where it stalled the lathe. Scared the living Hell out of me. I've never used it again. I made a tapered D bit form 01 steel and hardened it, and it does the job just fine without pulling itself into the work.---Brian

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2018, 12:09:30 AM »
Brian: by dumb ignorance I avoided this.  My reamer has straight flutes and when choosing a chuck to hold it I randomly chose the chuck that came with my lathe that IS NOT keyed into the tailstock.   The reamer did grab the work a few times but since the chuck was not keyed in to the tailstock it merely start turning in the tailstock.  With straight flutes there wasn’t a tendency to draw into the work and without the chuck being keyed, it didn’t grab and shatter the reamer shaft.
Craig

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2018, 04:03:40 AM »
Craig,
Can't speak for the tapered reamer, never used one. But as we say here in WI of going north. Enjoy your trip to the great north woods.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #143 on: May 20, 2018, 06:54:19 PM »
Still following along  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:
 A break from time to time is always good. Small magnetos are a very special art  ::) There needs to be enough iron/inductance to store enough spark energy.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2018, 08:51:14 PM »
I’ve been back from my Great Northern Adventure for nearly a week but as always; there were several things I needed to attend to before I could focus back on this build.

I might not have mentioned it before but there is a tractor/engine show in northern Pennsylvania sponsored by the Endless Mountains Tractor and Engine Club near where my sister lives; the show happened to coincide with my planned trip.  She’s been telling me I need to bring my models and attended the show so this year I opted to do so.  Before heading up to the St. Laurence River, I dropped my models off at her house, they spent a week in the garage and it rained every day.  Place your models in a damp garage for a week and you’ll find out where you missed applying clear coat to the bright metal (that turns not quite so bright :().  Now that I’m back home I’ve spent a few days disassembling models, removing rust, and reassembling after applying clear coat.  I’m hoping this is behind me now.

Finally back to the Lauson LA model.  I had started on the flywheel before the trip and a few more days of effort allowed me to finish this part.  Here is a photo of one of the more bizarre setups I’ve done.  I have the rotary table mounted at a 45 degree angle as I cut the angled flats on the front of the flywheel.

With that done it was on to finishing the fins.  I’m using the dividing head just to align the work at successive 15 degree rotations as I cut the remainder of the fins.  By clamping the piece part to the angle plate I was able to obtain a rigid mount to perform the machine work.

I probably have a little file work to do to really complete this part.  There was a tremendous amount of work and time invested in completing this flywheel; especially distressing since it will be nearly entirely covered by the blower housing.  Still, a model is a model.

Finally two views of the flywheel mounted on the engine.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 09:04:15 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2018, 09:51:04 PM »
Glad to see you back on this build and I can see that there's a lot of work in such a "simple" part  :ThumbsUp:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #146 on: June 14, 2018, 09:56:13 PM »
Quite a complex part Craig. Turned out very well though. Glad you enjoyed your trip other than the damp conditions, but I'm sure the engines appreciated the TLC too.  :)

Bill

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2018, 10:25:19 PM »
Craig--I'm losing track here---Did you do all of that flywheel on manual machines or do you have some cnc going there. Great job whichever you used.---Brian

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2018, 10:28:23 PM »
No CNC equipment in my shop Brian, all manual equipment.  Thanks.
Craig

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #149 on: June 15, 2018, 03:22:42 AM »
Craig,
I've never made a flywheel as complicated as that. Maybe some day I will make an air cooled with that sort of flywheel but I think I will use CNC. Great job.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal