Author Topic: Air compressor tank?  (Read 2851 times)

Offline tinkerer

Air compressor tank?
« on: January 03, 2018, 02:35:04 AM »
Has any one built a boiler out of an air compressor tank? Seems like a good candidate for a starting point. Since you're already dealing with a pressure vessel that was designed to operate about 120lbs pressure (setting for pop offs on most small tanks). Seems like it would be an easy (& probably safe) conversion. I'm new to this stuff & I'm sure there may be considerations I am not aware of or haven't thought of.
You never know what you can do, till you try. Don't be afraid to try & fail. We learn more from our failures than our successes.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Air compressor tank?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 02:52:38 AM »
Never seen it done, a lot would depend on what metal its made of, pressure by itself is one thing, heat is something else on top of that. Plus corrosion issues?

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 03:36:21 AM »
The rated pressure of the air tank does NOT allow corrosion. The actual bursting pressure of a loco boiler is quite high when new, but is designed to take working pressure decades later.

Air tanks is air tanks. Nothing more.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline asm109

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 04:28:10 AM »
ASME design rules  fall into two broad categories, fired and unfired pressure vessels.  Air tank is unfired. The design rules use the material properties of steel at essentially room temperature.  Fired pressure vessels use the material properties at elevated temperatures. 
Short answer, don't do it.  Tank was not designed to work at elevated temps.

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 07:00:31 AM »
Well I certainly don't want family history to repeat it self LOL I have the dubious distinction of being the Gr-gr-gr-gr- Nephew of the owner & Captain of the Lucy Walker, Joe Vann (brother of my 3rd great grandfather). A steam ship that exploded in 1844 on the Ohio river. One of the worst steam boat accidents in this countries history LOL It was said that the only piece of him found & identified. Was his arm recovered from a tree on shore. Identified only by his ring with an engraving of the Lucy Walker. Over 100 were killed in the explosion & fire.
You never know what you can do, till you try. Don't be afraid to try & fail. We learn more from our failures than our successes.

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 11:03:51 PM »
I have seen two small boilers that were made from fire extinguishers, one was from brass and the other steel. The brass one was made as a replacement for a toy boiler that ran at under 30psig. (hydro tested to 120psig.) and worked very well at that temperature/pressure range. The steel one was hydro tested to 300psig. an was run at 80psig. but within two years had developed leaks and failed a test at 60psig.. I was at the second test and convinced the owner to let me run it through the metal band saw and make a display model of it.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal