Author Topic: My take on a Kingway tool...  (Read 7149 times)

Offline stvy

Re: My take on a Kingway tool...
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 08:06:33 PM »
Pete,

Yes ok. The only casting ways I have like that on my bridgeport rebuild project are the back of the knee and underside of the saddle. For the other areas the vials will come in very handy. I used a real kingway to get the twist out of the bottom side of the table just using the vials. Very handy and quick; 15mins in total, and easy to do the measuring, although I spent 3 days solid doing the scraping. 

This thread has reminded me I need to crack on with building my kingway. I am a fair few hours behind you. I have still to do the knuckles, the vial mounts, and the circular disc "foot" to go underneath the ball, but at least I have dug out the box of parts!

Thanks,
Steve

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 08:53:23 PM »
Steve, post some pics of your Kingway, please. And your Bridgeport! I'd love to see what's up doing.

:cheers:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 09:59:14 AM »
I finally finished the box!!

Pete
[/img]http://listerengine.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?pid=7308http://listerengine.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?pid=7309[img]

I seem to have forgotten how to make the pics show properly... :facepalm:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 06:01:38 AM by 10KPete »
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 01:53:59 PM »
looks good Pete.

On the level thing, you may not need that function for a mill and as you point out things can be easily added to the beam structure. 

Just for the benefit of the un-initiated trying to puzzle out how it assists with reconditioning, in other situations, that level function is crucial for scraping for alignment.  For example a lathe bed.  With two surfaces of the long V done, using the level is the only way I know to get the corresponding horizontal surface parallel to the V.  With my rendition of the device, I built things that clamp on to the beams so you can place a Starrett 199 level (the accuracy needed for alignment scraping) - you get the function, its not in the way when you don't need it and you don't have to buy more stuff

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 03:05:59 PM »
Here you go Pete:

I had to resize it so it wasn't too large to post.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal