Author Topic: Bugger Bugger Bugger  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
Bugger Bugger Bugger
« on: January 01, 2018, 06:34:25 AM »
News years Eve and I had a full afternoon of workshop time so a start was made on the motorization of the 'X' axis on the drill mill. After around 2 hours of lathe work the motor slowed up as I was taking a cut, quite a light cut into aluminum.  :facepalm: The motor was quite warm but I could still hold my hand on it so it was not too hot. I decided to stop there and see if it might be OK when fully cooled. Fast forward to today and the slowness is still there. BUGGER.  :censored: So it looks like the motor windings have given up the ghost and probably lost their insulation properties. I have had the lathe for 25 years so I guess that is not too bad a life.
However getting the motor off was a bit of a challenge, I was hoping I could remove it without having to bring the lathe away from the wall, but that was never going to work. Car jack, levers and rollers later (not to mention sweat - 35 deg. here today) the lathe was about a meter from the wall and I could access the motor. Still quite tricky to get it off but I persisted and it surrendered eventually. I looked up motor rewinders in my area and guess what, they are off work until Jan 15th BUGGER  :censored:

Robert
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
Re: Bugger Bugger Bugger
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 07:02:43 AM »
Hi Robert,
 I feel your pain!
Last year my mill, which was working fine before going on holiday, decided not to run when I got home! A few emails back & forth with the company I brought it from, under new ownership, & a 3 month wait for the replacement board & it was sorted!

Hope the motor rewinding will sort your issue.

I guess pulling the lathe out means you can check the elves hiding hole for all those lost bits.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 07:41:45 AM »
It might be easier to pick up a new motor rather than wait for the winders to do their stuff.

Good luck!

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 11:01:14 AM »
Happy new year Robert.

Perhaps not a good start eh? Your Lathe looks familiar to me, Far Eastern? Looks like a “ Craftsman “ that my old firm sold here in the UK.

Have you checked the motor bearings? Those motors weren’t fitted with, let’s say, the best!

Just a thought before going down the expensive route.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Bertie_Bassett

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 12:28:25 PM »
sorry to hear your having problems with the motor.

is it a single phase motor? if so it might just be the capacitors have got old and need replacing.

id be looking there first, unless the windings are totally shot the insulation resistance shouldn't cause slow running. so you shouldnt need a rewind
one day ill finish a project before starting another!
suffolk - uk

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 03:02:23 PM »
   Are there any capacitors? It almost sounds like a running cap gave up on you the motor would be fine with a new one. I had a friend with a air compressor that the same thing was going on. If it does have caps for starting and running look at the ends of them. Are they flat across if the end is bulged out a little more than likely it is bad.

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 10:16:46 PM »
Thanks guys and Jo, I have looked at the capacitors and there is no 'bulging' on the end (they my still be dead though) but I will get the rewinder shop to check. I am searching for other shops that may be open during the holidays. The motor is an Australian one but the lathe is Taiwanese.
Robert

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 12:37:50 AM »
I have Googled how to check a capacitor and they both (start and run) seem OK. Also the rotor turns smoothly so the bearings look OK as well. The only thing left is the windings and I am sure they will turn out to be the culprit.
Robert

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal