Author Topic: Threading dies  (Read 3095 times)

Offline matthew-s

Threading dies
« on: December 29, 2017, 03:01:51 PM »
Hi. I’ve FINALLY started a project.

In a fairly early step I need to thread a 5/16-24 post.

I plan on getting an adjustable HSS die. I was not prepared to see the dies come in different thicknesses. From the likes of 1/4 to 1 inch thick. What are the considerations here, and what is the “standard” size?

Thanks!

Offline kvom

Re: Threading dies
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 04:53:13 PM »
The first question is the diestock (the thing that turned them).  Two types for hex and round dies.

You may be best served by purchasing a good quality tape and die set that would have the proper diestock to fit.

Offline matthew-s

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 05:10:17 PM »
I do not have a die stock, so I’m open on that front. I’m lead to believe the round ones are better than hex ones, no?

How does one go about finding a good “hobby quality” set that is not junk?  I’m willing to buy individually if that gets me better quality for price by purchasing just what I need.

I’ve got a feeling most of the work I’ll be doing is on the small side, which could leave me with a lot of unused taps and dies, maybe?

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 05:22:45 PM »
I consider the hex version of a die a repair tool for damaged threads ONLY.

The best type of dies are split two piece dies like Greenfield Tap and Die Little Giant. These can be found used on ebay.

My next choice would be split round dies. The split ones offer a bit of adjustment.

Small stuff I consider smaller than 1/4" and the common US die size for that range is 13/16" od.

I really like GTD screw plate sets (tap and die sets) and have several sets to cover a wide range of threads.

Dan
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 05:39:03 PM by Dan Rowe »
ShaylocoDan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 07:36:35 PM »
For the smaller sizes, say 10-32 and below, I would buy them as needed and go for quality. As you say, sets may have sizes you won't often need.

Bill

Offline kvom

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 08:23:05 PM »
For the smaller sizes, say 10-32 and below, I would buy them as needed and go for quality. As you say, sets may have sizes you won't often need.

Bill

I'll take the opposite stance and say it's annoying to have to delay finishing a part when you have to wait several days for that one die to arrive.  That's why I have a utility tape and die set and then good quality round dies for the "normal" small imperial sizes.

YMMV

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 08:25:38 PM »
Do you have car boot sales over your side of the pond? Standard size taps and dies turn up over here for very little money at those as no one wants them.

The die holders also come in different sizes  ::)

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 08:28:01 PM »
Do you have car boot sales over your side of the pond? Standard size taps and dies turn up over here for very little money at those as no one wants them.

The die holders also come in different sizes  ::)

Jo

I think we call them flea markets, since our cars do not have 'boots' on the back...!   ;D

Though we don't sell fleas there either.... Hmmmm....

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 09:16:55 PM »
We also have "yard" sales here in the southern parts, though they aren't selling yards either :). Problem is, machines, tooling, etc. rarely show up at those, more often clothes and knick/knacks and such for around the house.

Bill

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 11:51:40 AM »
Down here we leave the car out of it, and call it a garage sale, even if there is no garage. Some second hand shops here have surplus tools for sale at ? reasonable prices?
Ian S C

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 06:48:24 PM »
Back to Taps and Dies,

I buy quality taps and dies as needed and as I can afford them. I also have the cheap sets in imperial and metric from HF for that "11:00 Saturday Night" shop session I want to proceed with. I am gradually replacing the cheaper ones with better ones. Easy enough to add small items to an order from one or more of the vendors I use.

Die stocks and tap handles are also "utility" grade, although one of these days I'm probably going to upgrade to one or more Starrett tap handles.

I am going for round, adjustable dies as I have had to adjust them to make a threaded part fit a specialized threaded part from time to time.

Dies are designed to start threading on one side and finish on the other. The "starting" side is larger and tapers down to the standard thread on the "output" side. If you are threading close to a shoulder you first start with the starting side, then after threading your part, you can reverse the die and clean up the area near the shoulder. Some die stocks have less access on one side than the other because of this, which may affect what you can do.

Smaller die stocks with smaller dies have shorter handles, allowing more clearance. Larger die stocks for larger dies have longer handles, thus more leverage for easier turning on larger parts, but more limited clearance: So, you can see whay I have some of each. 5/16-24 is large in our modeling world, but small in the automotive and machine-repair world. If you are not going to get any larger than than the smallest round die size will work for you, but if you will need to thread, 3/8, 1/2, etc. you may need larger. Pipe threading is a differenct world entirely and I'm not going there today.

Regarding taps: Following builds on these forums has led me to purchase some small forming taps for use in aluminum, spiral taps for threading under power on the mill and for easier work in harder materials, and other special taps. I have never regretted adding these special items to my shop.

I store taps in Huot indexes matched with High-Quality drills they require. I can't over-emphasize the importance of using sharp high-quality drills for making the holes you want to tap and using the correct lubricant for the material. Being careful here will reduce the annoying tap breakage on the next-to-the-last hole we all experience from time to time.

Maybe more than you wanted to know, but threading is a basic skill that seems simple at first and then grows more specialized as you learn.

I'm sure some here can add to this......

ShopShoe

Offline Manorfarmdenton

• Fearnley Contract Services
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 10:55:17 AM »
My experience of using larger in the past and more recently tiny taps and dies is :

Don't be tempted by the cheaper price of carbon taps - always go for HSS.  Carbon ones won't cut anywhere near as well.  Just buy the ones you need in sets of three - taper, second, and plug.

Buy a tailstock threading attachment for the lathe, which will come with holders for the various sizes of dies.

Use the mill to drill and then thread holes.  You can hold the tap in a drill chuck with parallel shank which is in turn loosely located in a collet.  That way the thread is centred on the hole and exactly at the same angle.

All pretty obvious, but worth stating.

Lastly, I use a thread and tap drill chart and a Metric/Inch conversion chart all the time.  Free from Sherwood  the cutting tool manufacturers (my supplier is Cromwells) they are A3 and I've got them on the workshop wall.  The conversion one shows all metric, Imperial, number and letter drills along with metric sizes and their inch equivalents.  So handy.

John.

John Fearnley

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal