Author Topic: Small Copper Boiler  (Read 4724 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Small Copper Boiler
« on: December 25, 2017, 09:07:15 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have been working on several designs for Small Copper Boilers and have completed the first unit, Boiler #1. Attached is a video showing the construction and test run under steam. I have started on another unit based on this designed with some modifications making it much easier to build and will post a video of it when completed.

Have a great day,
Thomas

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nx6aruUTwU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nx6aruUTwU</a>
Thomas

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
Re: Small Copper Boiler
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 09:27:33 PM »
Looks great.

I'd quite like to have a go at making one of these when the plans are available. I already have most of the materials so I was looking for something simple to build that would power something small.

I look forward to seeing it hooked up to an engine  :)

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 12:34:06 PM »
Looks great.

I'd quite like to have a go at making one of these when the plans are available. I already have most of the materials so I was looking for something simple to build that would power something small.

I look forward to seeing it hooked up to an engine  :)

Good morning gas_mantle,

Ordinarily I would not offer a set of plans until I had built and fully tested the unit, but I hope to have the plans for Boiler #5 completed sometime today. There is so little change in the “operation” design between Boiler #1 and #5 that I am confident that #5 will perform exactly like #1.

After looking over the plans please let me know if you have any questions.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 04:46:15 PM »
Hi Thomas,

I'm not in any rush, but once you are happy to release your plans I'd like to see a copy and possibly have a go at making one

Many thanks
Peter.

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 07:14:02 PM »
Hey again Peter and to everyone,

As I have already stated, normally I would not offer any plans on a project until I had completed building and testing. However in this case Boiler No.5 is so very close to being a “copy” of Boiler No.1 that I am completely satisfied it will operate as well.

I am attaching four pdf format documents; 1 is a syllabus of the materials and construction procedure. The other 3 are AutoCAD drawings of the Boiler. The drawings were created on 11x17 size paper and can be printed out on any size from 8-1/2x11 up to 11x17. I designed this Boiler to use standard “off the shelf” materials to make it easy to build and keep the cost down. All the pipe is Type “L” copper and all the fittings are standard wrought copper. Note that I did not machine any of the brass threaded bushing required, instead I purchased stock parts from Ministeam and have included their part numbers in the materials list. As noted in the syllabus if you machine the brass parts to your own size, bore and thread be sure and make the required changes to your build.

One extra note: if you want to use a hand pump to add water, the fitting in the back on the Top Cap can be plumbed for that use.

Good luck and hope you enjoy building this Boiler. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Have a great day,
Thomas

Thomas

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 07:22:32 PM »
Thanks Thomas,

I'll have good read through over the next day or 2 and possibly have a go at making one in the New Year.

I can silver solder but I'm new at it and not an expert so I wanted to try something simple like this then maybe have a go at a PMR or GLR if things turn out ok. Luckily I'm a member of a local model engineers club so I'm pretty sure I can get them to test anything I build.

Thanks.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 07:29:21 PM »
Peter, before you do have a go at making this show the drawings to your club inspector to make sure he is happy with the design before you start cutting metal.  He will at least want to see what the working pressure is supposed to be, can't see it on the drawings but have to assume it is 60psi as that is what the Safety is set for.

There is also the first part of what looks quiet a nice boiler design in the current ME.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 07:37:08 PM »
Ok Jason thanks  :)

I'll take a look at the magazine, I tend not to buy it very often as it seems more focussed on skilled modellers with little of interest for newbies.

I'm not sure my little MAPP gas torch will have enough guts for a boiler so it makes sense to try something small first.

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 08:38:06 PM »
Hello again everyone,

I just uploaded a video, Part - 1 building Boiler No.5, to my Youtube channel. This will give you a good idea of the required parts and assembly.

Have a great day,
Thomas

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN8IiTWxvf4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN8IiTWxvf4</a>
Thomas

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 09:07:23 PM »
Hi Thomas,

Looks good, is there any chance I could see it powering a small engine ?

I'm going to start building a replica Stuart 10V shortly and if your boiler can power one for demo purposes then potentially making a small self contained steam plant is an option  :)

Thanks  :)

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 09:18:46 PM »
Hi Thomas,

Looks good, is there any chance I could see it powering a small engine ?

I'm going to start building a replica Stuart 10V shortly and if your boiler can power one for demo purposes then potentially making a small self contained steam plant is an option  :)

Thanks  :)

Hello again Peter,

Yes, as soon as I complete the build on the propane burner that I will use to power this Boiler, I will make a video and upload to my Youtube channel.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 02:42:13 PM »
G’ day to everyone,

I have received an email requesting the formula that I used when designing Boiler #5 and if this design could be scaled up to a 3" nominal pipe size.

To answer the latter question first, the answer is yes. You would still use the 1" for the Burner Tube and reduced to ˝" for the stack and the Boiler Body can be lengthen.

As a member of ASME I always use the formulas and standards recognized and approved by them. I am listing a link to Copper Development Association Inc.. In this link you will find the formula ( see below ) and several pages of information pertaining to Copper Pipe and Copper Fittings that will be useful.

https://www.copper.org/applications/plumbing/cth/design-installation/cth_3design_burst.html

As for many piping materials, the calculated allowable internal pressure for copper tube in service is commonly based on the formula used in the American Society of Mechanical Engineers Code for Pressure Piping (ASME B31):

2St min     
P=
      D max-0.8t min

Based on the above formula you will find the Actual burst pressure for Type “L” 2-1/2 Drawn Copper Pipe at room temperature ( 3,215 psi ) is shown on Table 14.5.

If you wish to calculate a safe Internal Working Pressure at 250F for the 2-1/2" pipe the value will be in the 300psi range. Remember that the above formula does not apply to the one-inch Burner Tube, because the forces are external on this pipe.

Also keep in mind that the quality of the soldering work and the added fittings will have a direct effect on the final safe working pressure of a small boiler like this.

Have a great day,
Thomas

Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal