Author Topic: What is next on your build list?  (Read 3329 times)

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
What is next on your build list?
« on: December 25, 2017, 07:59:59 PM »
Firstly a happy Christmas to everyone  :)

With the New Year looming I wondered what other members are planning to build in 2018?

Once I finish my Muncaster (probably in January) I want to start on a replica Stuart 10V. I was kindly given a few castings and some barstock by a couple of forum members so this should allow me to make an attractive little engine with a bit of scope to add my own touch.

During the Summer I'd like to have a crack at making a fairly large horizontal steam engine from barstock or possibly a barstock Benson engine. I've always thought Benson engines have an attractive look and ever since I started this hobby I've said once I have the necessary tools / experience I'd like to make one to sit in my front window  :)

Peter.

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
Re: What is next on your build list?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 08:21:02 PM »
Happy Christmas to you too Peter.
Having just about finished my Potty Popcorn engine (just waiting for the paint to harden) I am in the process of converting the imperial measurements on Ray Hasbrouk's rocking valve engine to metric and that should be under way in early January.  That should be a fairly quick project as there's not a lot to it.  After that I must find a Hit'n'miss engine which is drawn in metric units, large enough to run intermittently, which I understand small ones don't very well,  yet small enough to make on my Warco 9 x 20 lathe.
If you are looking for a largish barstock engine may I suggest the MEM Corliss valve motor.  Plans are free and there have been a couple of excellent build logs to help if you get stuck.
Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Offline AOG

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 08:30:29 PM »
I am contemplating that very question right now. I think that when I get back from the Hollidays, I will start on a Stuart twin oscillator. After that I will make something a bit more complex. I am thinking maybe a Stuart S-50 or a PMR number one.

Tony

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 08:40:30 PM »
Hi Jim,

Great to hear you have finished the Popcorn engine, can we see it once it dries  :)  I did think of having a go at Stews Potty overcrank engine and it is something I'll like to have a go at later.

As for a biggish horizontal, I kind of thought about just making something fairly simple, maybe like a large Stuart S50 or Victoria but with a bore of about 2". I was going to just make it up as I was going along but if I can find plans of something suitable I'd do that.

I'm unfamiliar with the MEM Corliss (the word Corliss suggests complexity to me ) but I'll see if I can find something about it.

Hi Tony, I also like the S50 - have you considered a barstock one ?

Cheers  :DrinkPint:

Offline kvom

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 09:15:12 PM »
The Colibri sculpture is going faster than I expected, and getting a vacuum table for the mill will help speed it along.  That table should help if I decide to get back to working on the magnetic clock I quit on in 2014.  I should be able to machine the large gear in one piece now.  Trying to do it in plastic made it too flexible to rotate in a constant plane.  Plus my frame pieces weren't done precisely enough either.  I suspect I'd need to remake almost everything, but that's OK too.

One other tempting idea is the Muncaster Grasshopper using the plans posted by Julius as a starting point (e.g., imperial rather than metric).

Finally, I'm fascinated by the Green automatic cutoff engine. 

https://downrivertools.com/historic-models-and-reproductions/casting-sets/green-automatic-cutoff-steam-engine-castings-and-drawings-set.html

My lathe is just a bit too small to turn the flywheel, and it would be another 100+ pound beast to haul to shows.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 09:30:09 PM by kvom »

Offline AOG

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 09:54:38 PM »

Hi Tony, I also like the S50 - have you considered a barstock one ?

Cheers  :DrinkPint:

I already have the castings for the S50 ageing in the closet of castings  so I’ll make it that way. When I’m back in the mood for a bar stock engine I will probably make Elmer’s equivalent.

Tony

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 10:38:07 PM »
Peter
Corliss sounds complex but the MEM design is simplified from a scale model and if I can do it I'm sure you can. 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ7gfLD7ezg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ7gfLD7ezg</a>

There are some tricky bits but if it was all without a challenge we wouldn't do it, would we?

The plans are somewhere on this site but I cannot seem to find them at the moment, I'll look harder tomorrow and edit this post.
Jim

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 10:45:55 PM »
Jim,

Thanks for posting that, it's a great looking engine and sounds fantastic  :)

I think it's way beyond my skill but if you are able to locate the plans I'd like to take a look. I did try looking myself but couldn't find anything.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 11:23:02 PM »

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 11:37:00 PM »
Cheers Bill, it looks an interesting engine, I'll have a good read through tomorrow.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 07:23:34 AM »
Well lets see, the little oscillator will hopefully be done in the next couple of weeks and I also hope to get on with painting the two R&V engines I have been doing at he same time. This will then let me get on with the Otto Langen and Ruston Hornsby which are both part way through. I also have the small Monitor PJ engine that I have been doing odd bits to when I just want to pick up a drawing & casting and make a part without to much effort.

After that there are quite a few in the "future projects" folder but what is at the top of the list changes quite often and more keep getting added to the list, so will just have to wait and see.

Jim, are you looking for a barstock or casting based hit & miss engine?

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 08:58:28 AM »
I don't think I see yet another steam engine in the next couple of months...Infernal Combustion are looking more likely. I do enjoy making the little aero engines but running them is a bit tricky on my own  :( Having had my early retirement turned down  :'( plans to start some of the larger engines have been delayed at least until I know my future at W**k  :-[ .

I don't normally know which engine is going to be next until I can see the end of the current engine then I start doing a bit of casting fondling and I do what ever takes my fancy  :embarassed:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 12:36:46 PM »
I too have quite a few sets of castings stashed away for various engines, but the progress I am making on Agnes makes me wonder if I will ever need another "next on the list" at all.

Maybe in 1565 days time when I retire, things might start to actually get done a bit quicker.  :old:
That's actually 1001 working days if you take holidays into account (not that I am counting or anything)  ;D

Phil
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 12:40:49 PM by pgp001 »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 01:06:00 PM »
I too have quite a few sets of castings stashed away for various engines

Anything interesting Phil   :)

I know you have the Uniflow  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 03:24:25 PM »
George
Bill found the right plans.  Thanks Bill

Jason. 
Thanks for asking.  I have not had a good experience with the couple of castings I've done so I would prefer barstock.  Having said that I am nowhere near your skill level with fabrications so a casting set is probably what I'll end up with.

Jim

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2017, 04:40:52 PM »
Well, Merry Christmas to y'all.  Santa was good to me this year - one of the first gifts I opened was a casting set for the PM Research #5, so that's one.  But then my wife gave me a small envelope, which contained a note that said to go look in the storage area in front of her car in the garage (where a lot of bins for Christmas decorations got stacked earlier last month).  Lo and behold, behind those bins was a crate with a Sieg mini mill on it  :o - so setting that up (and probably welding up a stand for it to go on, as the workbench is already crowded with the mini lathe and drill press) will be #1 priority for a while.  I also got plans for the Stirling bobber and Thermo-pulse mobile engines from Jan Ridders, and have been waiting to find a good deal on pyrex test tubes before starting those projects.  Looks like I will keep myself busy this winter...maybe into spring as well :)

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2017, 04:52:39 PM »
I too have quite a few sets of castings stashed away for various engines

Anything interesting Phil   :)

I know you have the Uniflow  ;)

Jo

Well Jo I have from memory :-

1/16 scale Pollit & Wigzell tandem compound condensing mill engine by Peter Southworth.

1/16 scale Cole Marchent & Morley Uniflow mill engine with generator set by Arnold Throp.

1/8 scale Burrell SCC traction engine by A.J. Every.

1/8 scale Marshall Portable engine by W.J. Hughes.

Beam Engine by Stuart Turner.

Sanderson Beam Engine by Clarksons.

Tandem Compound Mill/Winding engine by Clarksons.

McOnie Oscillating engine by Anthony Mount.

Lincoln Twin Tandem Compound mill engine by Peter Southworth.

Plus a rare original Hobbies SE4 engine that my grandad bought new in 1937 which needs restoring.

I am sure your list will be many times longer than mine, but I reckon what with playing around with vintage cars and motorcycles, learning to play the guitar, and still holding down a full time job. I will be about 150 years old if I ever get that lot done !!

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal