Author Topic: Old Style Oscillator  (Read 20957 times)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Old Style Oscillator
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2017, 06:16:13 PM »
That's really neat how you did that, Jason.
Kim

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2018, 04:27:59 PM »
 :pinkelephant: :cartwheel: :pinkelephant: :whoohoo:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2018, 07:17:48 PM »
Well as you may have guessed from the above post New Year + New Runner = Happy

Spent a while doing the two pivot supports, the valve one is quite fiddly as there are a lot of small holes that all have to intersect and not go deeper than they should. There is still a bit of shaping left to be done and two of the drilled passages need blanking off properly but I could not resist giving it a go. so knocked up a temporary pivot screw and quickly assembled it still no gaskets, rings or gland packing and tried a bit of air through it. Started straight away with the lightest of flicks to the flywheel.

Will get the last couple of bits done and then slap some paint on it hopefully all by the weekend, in the mean time here is a quick video.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB7tDEuRwO8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB7tDEuRwO8</a>

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2018, 07:31:30 PM »
Wow, I didn't realize that you were so close to a test run!  Excellent!!!

:pinkelephant:    :cartwheel:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2018, 07:36:53 PM »
Very nice Jason, and with the final touches it should run even better, but it looks great and runs smoothly even now.  :ThumbsUp:

Bill

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2018, 08:12:37 PM »
Nice one, great to see it running.

I want one  :)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2018, 08:24:35 PM »
Seeing that run that has confirmed a couple of my thoughts on the replica engine that you knew I have been planning to build  :thinking:

Spent a while doing the two pivot supports, the valve one is quite fiddly as there are a lot of small holes that all have to intersect and not go deeper than they should.

So why did you change from Munchaster's original design for the port block it is really simple to machine  :noidea:

Jo
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 08:27:44 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2018, 09:06:52 PM »
I've not seen Muncaster's original design except from the outside (assuming the one in the photo was Muncaster's) and that was after I had already drawn it up.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2018, 02:24:49 AM »
Congrats on a runner Jason!

I guess it really doesn’t matter to me who designed the port block.  :lolb: She runs pretty nice.
With some gaskets and running in, it is bound to get even better.

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2018, 08:00:20 AM »
So Jo does that mean that you have found the Muncaster drawings?

Just found another photos that I have had for a couple of years which I had been looking for, it was not in my usual "future projects" file but just in a PB album so one I have fancied doing for a couple of years as it was taken early 2016 at AP when it was on the Northern Assoc of MEs stand. Mine is not an exact replica just an engine in the same style

You can just see a couple of brass plugs in the valve support which suggests it uses the circular groove with pins to divide the groove into two sections Exhaust and inlet. I opted for two horizontal holes which has the advantage of less "open" area on teh port faces for air/steam to escape as you only have two small slots letting air out rather than a half round groove.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2018, 08:30:14 AM »
So Jo does that mean that you have found the Muncaster drawings?

Julius redrew the drawings for the Munchaster Vertical oscillator engine for us some time go  8) I am sure you also have the Westbury update from back in 1957 http://www.replicaplans.com/MuncasterModelEngines/muncaster-02.pdf

Yes, the two brass plugs on the engine match the original Munchaster design of the single circular slot plugged on either side with those brass plugs. The port being open to the pressure for a slightly longer angular duration smooths the power output of the engine  :).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2018, 10:14:37 AM »
I though Julius only did his version a couple of months ago at the most. Though I did buy the Muncaster book That Westbury's drawing was taken from when is was 19 or 20 so have had it for some time :-[. It was not until you mentioned the engine was also one of Muncasters that I had thought about it and only noticed the pins when I saw my photo this morning.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2018, 04:17:43 PM »
Well a couple of days doing the last few little bits to make it look nice plus a lick of paint and that is this one done and dusted.

As you can see I went with the creamy yellow which is in fact U-POL HIGH5 high build primer filler topped off with a clear gloss lacquer. I also kept the wood cleading fairly light too.

A bit of a vid of it running, I did give it some beans at the beginning but despite Jo's worries it shows no signs of jumping about even before I put it onto the wooden base. These 24mm bore engines are quite a nice size - not too small that they become fiddly and not too large that you need to spend a lot on materials or need a big compressor to run them. At a steady speed it will run for about 3mins before the compressor trips in or if I switch it off I can get about 7mins before the tank is too low.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQl8cqJ17Fc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQl8cqJ17Fc</a>

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2018, 04:23:07 PM »
That is just wonderful!!

:ThumbsUp:

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2018, 04:39:16 PM »
Looks and runs great  :)