Author Topic: Old Style Oscillator  (Read 21004 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Old Style Oscillator
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2017, 08:22:54 PM »
Well you have got to make them look authentic ;)

You can always hide it with some JB Weld  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2017, 08:25:53 PM »
Well you have got to make them look authentic ;)

You can always hide it with some JB Weld  ::)

Jo

Just put a label over the tube, 'Ye Olde Epoxye'   :Lol:

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2017, 09:13:12 PM »
Jason--Beautiful work, as usual. I've not seen an oscillating engine like that one. All I have seen are the Verbourg style "wobblers".---Brian

ChuckKey

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2017, 12:21:06 AM »

How do you know when ordering castings if you are getting the ones from the new or old foundry? Did they use up or toss the old stock?

I can't remember which they told me, it was either a third or a half of the inherited casting stock that was scrapped.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2017, 12:59:55 AM »
The cylinder turned out very nice Jason!

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2017, 04:24:38 PM »
Rather than hide the wayward spot drill hole with JBWeld I decided it would be better off covered up with a bit of cast iron so knocked up the cylinder covers and piston rod gland. I think I will amend my drawings to make the gland flange 1.0mm larger in dia as the holes look a bit close to the edge, good job I have got small nuts.

Piston is also done but just needs skimming to final dia once mounted on the piston rod and some of the studs are also made. I did also do some painting on the Horizontal R&V engine too.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2017, 01:56:29 AM »
Hi Jason, I thought that small spot was deliberate, as a relief landing for the jacking bolts!  Well, perhaps you were coming back to flatten the bottom.

I like the fabrication, how big is that torch?  I would like to try that.

Did you say the rod for the pivot points goes right through?  So it gets cut out when you bore the cylinder to size.   Great way to get. It all lined up.

Thanks for documenting it all so well, very instructive for novice machinists like me.  It is a nice little model.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2017, 07:28:28 AM »
The smaller of the two spigots on the valve side will just pivot in the valve upright, the larger one on the opposite side will take the pointed adjustment screw and pivot on that.

I spent a while going through various ways to decide how best to hold the work and get the two pivots at right angles to the cylinder and came up with the idea of a well fitted shaft passing right through. I sawed away most of the bar before final boring then just used a collet to drive it while supported at the other end with the tailstock, I drilled ctr holes before soldering.

I got The torch as a kit which worked out quite reasonably for Santa, Hamilton Gas do about the best prices

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/jasonballamy/Engineering/Oscillator/DSC02392_zpsy9qfq1ps.jpg

It is the Pro 3486 handle, 3511 neck Tube and 2941 burner that is 28mm dia and puts out 7.7KW plus hose and 4 bar regulator.

https://gasproducts.co.uk/gas-blow-torches/sievert-torch-handles-and-burners.html?p=1

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2017, 09:07:09 AM »
Thanks Jason, an ingenious method to achieve a very tricky lineup.

That burner selection gives a good idea of just how much heat is required for such a fabrication.  Good to see that it can be done without oxy.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2017, 04:22:35 PM »
Started off today by making the piston rod which allowed me to mount the piston onto it for final machining. Had a quick test to see how things were working out, not too bad as there are no rings, gland packing , gaskets or even an oil film.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuGYJlvbIh4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuGYJlvbIh4</a>

Then made the big end and finished off the cylinder studs, piston rod is a bit over length at the moment a sit is easier to take some off on final assembly than to put it back on. Starting to look like an engine now.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2017, 04:29:58 PM »
Nice! That is going to be a beaut!

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2017, 04:37:13 PM »
Looking great Jason  :)

I'm a tad confused about the pivots though  :headscratch:  are you saying the pivot passed right through the cylinder bore which was later rebored ?  I think I'm misunderstanding something here  :facepalm:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2017, 04:56:35 PM »
These are the bits before soldering, cylinder is over length and 2mm under bore, flanges 1mm over dia and 0.5mm over thickness, valve block has about 1.0mm to come off the face and the round bar passes right through and is also over diameter.

If I had just soldered separate pivots onto either side it would have been a lot harder to make sure they were dead opposite each other and at right angles to the bore. The bar had the middle sawn out after soldering and then the cylinder was bored out to finished size and flanges faced.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 05:00:48 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2017, 05:01:41 PM »
Ah ok thanks  :)

The photos on 29/12/17 showing the pivots already in place threw me a bit.

It going to be an attractive little engine.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2017, 05:03:44 PM »
Amazing progress Jason. Nice setup on getting the pivots in line too.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal