Author Topic: Old Style Oscillator  (Read 20998 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Old Style Oscillator
« on: December 24, 2017, 04:08:57 PM »
Some of you may have seen the thread discussing the pivot details of an old oscillating engien that I was thinking of building

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,7715.0.html

Well I've made a start. I'm just going to put up the odd photo as the bits are done then when I know everything works will do a more detailed build together with drawings.

Sole Plate

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Old Style Oscillator
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 07:27:24 PM »
Nice start Jason. You have been busy these last few days. Are you also putting that new Mill through it's paces?

Bill

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 07:51:22 PM »
Bill I did use the new mill for some of it, the main reason being that the table is about 5" lower than my X3 and the switches are also easier to reach when sitting as my back is playing up so I can't stand for long. Also tried out the 6" rotary table, being 72:1 rather than the usual 90:1 it is quiet nice for rounding parts as you don't have to crank the handle quite so many times. 12mm Carbide 2-flute cutter with aluminium specific geometry chomped through the 14mm thick plate at 1800rpm.

J

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 11:30:06 PM »
Nice start Jason, I'm looking forward to seeing more of this one.

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 06:50:24 PM »
Bit more done today, not quite as much as I had hoped for but it is progressing. maybe if I had not stopped to watch the latest round of the Cyclocross World Cup that was live streaming I would have had the bearings done too :thinking:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 07:47:20 PM »
Yeah but that is still some nice progress. Looking good too!!

Bill

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 05:03:59 PM »
Today I partly reworked the bearing caps as I was not happy with the way the looked and have also added bosses under the fixings rather than the counterbores I had originally drawn. Also made the bearings and got the crankshaft together, when the Loctite has set I will cut out the middle of the main shaft and file the ends flush.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 06:00:19 PM »
Will you pin the joints as well Jason or rely just on the Loctite?

Bill

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 06:19:11 PM »
Bill, on these little ones that won't really be expected to do any work I just use Loctite on its own.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 07:03:22 PM »
Looks great Jason   :)

Are the bearing block sides a circular profile?  They look like an elliptical shape so I was wondering how you managed to cut the curve  :headscratch:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 07:09:03 PM »
There is a short straight vertical section down to the center line of the bearing and from there it is a 40mm radius but as the C/L of the bearing is only 25mm tall you only get part of the circle making up the side.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 07:22:33 PM »
Thanks I see it now.

It makes for an attractive profile.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 04:43:32 PM »
I started off by machining the two flywheels this morning. You hear a lot of people saying recent Stuart castings are not as good as the old ones but these two were very good, little flash between the spokes which tool less than 5mins each to fettle with a couple of files and near zero mould shift between the two halves. Ran true in the 3 jaw and went from tool just touching surface to cleaned up with a single 15thou cut on both sides and face of the rim. Bored out the 8.0mm hole for a firm fit on the shaft which was tighter and truer than if I had used a reamer.

Then set to and made the various bits that will make up the cylinder "casting" I will leave soldering that until the morning.

J

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 05:47:31 PM »
The Bridgenorth Stuart castings are very good, it was the dregs from the previous foundry that left a bit to be desired  ::)

That looks very Brassy. Are you not worried with the Ali base that the engine is going to jump around a bit when it gets swinging around?  :thinking:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 06:32:38 PM »
The Bridgenorth Stuart castings are very good, it was the dregs from the previous foundry that left a bit to be desired  ::)

That looks very Brassy. Are you not worried with the Ali base that the engine is going to jump around a bit when it gets swinging around?  :thinking:

Jo
How do you know when ordering castings if you are getting the ones from the new or old foundry? Did they use up or toss the old stock?

And for the base, wouldn't it be fine once bolted down on a display base?

:popcorn:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal