Author Topic: What have I learnt building the Stuart D10  (Read 4017 times)

Offline geoff5269

What have I learnt building the Stuart D10
« on: December 21, 2017, 11:47:20 AM »
I have built several ambitious model engines over the last few years so I thought that building a basic Stuart would be plain sailing and maybe it would be close to perfect,
but it can still be a challenge and there are still lessons to be learnt so what went wrong.
While machining the base with a nice new carbide end mill I found the cutter digging deeper and deeper before I realised it was being pulled out of the collet, and I lost some height in the piece. also this dig in had shifted the vice a little and this showed up in a later operation, and I think both of these happened because of the very smooth and hard surfaces that are being clamped don't grip as well.  So I must take more care next time.
The next major bloomer was when I had machined the crankshaft in one piece, a process I had avoided before but  thought I had better try it and it seemed to go well, I turned the crank journals with a parting tool I had sharpened in the tool post so that it was square and sharp to the corners, but after finishing the work I moved the cutter aside and then the eccentric work came round and hit the tool and was bent out of shape before I could even try it out. I couldn't believe I had been so stupid. So I had to make another with built up parts but that seemed to take longer to make.
When you come to inserting the piston with it's packing it can be quite a squeeze to get it in so I made a tapered ring I can slide on the piston while it's held in the vice and then transfer that to the cylinder and it pushes in without any poking around with a screwdriver.   I hope this helpful to someone.
I'm in the painting stage right now so hope to finish soon.
Geoff

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: What have I learnt building the Stuart D10
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 12:11:49 PM »
Despite the mishaps Geoff, the final result came out looking very nice!!  Well done  :ThumbsUp:

Bill

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 12:20:34 PM »
Is that all that went wrong??   You were lucky!  (Spoken in a Monty Python Yorkshire accent  ;) )
Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 12:41:56 PM »
Pleased to see the near finished engine Geoff, it's looking nice.  I'm mucking around with two Stuart No 10's at the moment, when the workshop isn't too freezing. As I think I mentioned before, just because the 10 is supposed to be small and simple, it doesn't mean that one can leave the thinking cap off! I've not been greatly helped by a short length of 5/32" dia stainless, for the piston rod,  that Stuart T supplied with my kit 45 years ago, which was mysteriously about 2.5 out of round, and not absolutely straight either...!   Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 01:44:55 PM »
Looking good so far.

May not be the jaws as most vice jaws are hardened, if you were holding the casting then it is unlikely to be an even surface so the contact area will be a lot smaller, a piece of aluminium or even paper will increase the contact area and give a better grip.

Offline geoff5269

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 11:36:36 AM »
Thanks for the replies,
I have decided to remake the cylinder covers in stainless 303 hoping it will look better, so I got a length of 38mm round and when it came to clamping it in my 100mm chuck I realised that with the jaws that far open there is only 1 tooth of the jaws engaging with the scroll which can't be good.
so I looked at the 4 jaw independent and found there are plenty of teeth engaged at this size I will just have to take time to centre the work.
This metal turned ok with a good finish but parting off such a lump was a no go, so I had to hand saw off the slice and then use soft jaws to hold it the other way round.
Geoff

Offline geoff5269

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 02:47:48 PM »
I have finally finished after a couple of attempts at painting and thought I would show the results. There are a few things I would do differently next time so I have ordered a 10V and added the reverse gear which I haven't done before and will try out some new techniques on this. I do like 2 cylinder engines as they start up so easily but I thought I better build something slightly different. Here is a picture and video.<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmzRXWTFpa0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmzRXWTFpa0</a>
Geoff

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 04:35:44 PM »
A great looker and a great runner Geoff.

Well done  :)

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 07:19:20 PM »
A very smart result Geoff and a good runner too.  :ThumbsUp:
Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 09:23:26 PM »
Congratulations on a fine runner Geoff.

Vince

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 11:40:16 PM »
Seems you learned to make a great runner.
Looks beautiful too!

:ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 12:31:18 AM »
Very nice Geoff. I like the paint job too!!!

Bill

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 11:28:16 AM »
A lovely example of the attractive Double 10, Geoff, runs beautifully and looks great, what a nice project!     Dave

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 12:54:49 PM »
That turned out well. Everyone already said it all.

Thank You for posting.

ShopShoe

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal