Author Topic: Cabin Fever next month  (Read 20967 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Cabin Fever next month
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2018, 10:36:09 PM »
Great video, Chris!  Bet that got some looks driving around the show :)

Thanks for posting the pics!
Kim

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2018, 11:22:16 PM »
I also had a great time, ran my tugboat a few times, until the transmitter battery went dead.

I came home with TWO sets of castings, a Stuart Turner twin Victoria and a Cornwall Forge blowing engine. Really three sets because the twin Vic is really just two singles.

No new tools, I almost got a nice comparator, but I waited to think about it a bit more, and when I went back it was gone.

Weather was great for driving both ways, cold coming home, but it was warm in the car. And I got to make my first crossing of the new Tappan Zee bridge.

As always a great time for me, now have to waith 3 months for NAMES.

Offline cheepo45

« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2018, 11:36:56 PM »
Another great Cabin Fever Expo!
 Another casting set found it's way to my workbench-a Parcell and Weed vertical from LittleLoco's. Super castings and plans!
Great to see (and meet) quite a few MEMbers-especially crueby. He fits right in with the rest of us loonies.
Keep building.
 cheepo45

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2018, 11:59:11 PM »
Did I miss seeing you cheepo45? I know I missed seeing kvom. And I think a couple of others. Bummer.

That's the problem with our avatars. Or my problem. Trying to match up forum names with real names and real people.

Hey...next year on name tags...put your name and avatar name on.

I, on the other hand, am unforgettable...I am Z.  :lolb:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2018, 12:11:09 AM »
Did I miss seeing you cheepo45? I know I missed seeing kvom. And I think a couple of others. Bummer.

That's the problem with our avatars. Or my problem. Trying to match up forum names with real names and real people.

Hey...next year on name tags...put your name and avatar name on.

I, on the other hand, am unforgettable...I am Z.  :lolb:
You don't look like your avatar either. Glad I don't look like mine (either end! )  :Lol:  just act like it sometimes...!

Offline kvom

« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2018, 12:25:02 AM »
I didn't take any pics, but enjoyed seeing all the exhibits.  The Joy and Coventry engines ran all weekend unattended so that I didn't spend much time at the table.  The Westbury paddle engine was running pretty well, but when it spat out a couple of screws from non-obvious places I let it sit motionless the rest of the show.

My Stuart triple casting set didn't sell at the consignment table.  It was right next to the set Ron Ginger apparently bought, so I guess he was intimidated.   >:D  :LittleDevil:

I did pick up a few goodies.  First, got some 2-56 screws and washers from AME booth and saved the shipping.  Then found a 12" steel rule with 1/100 graduations that I've been looking for for a few shows.  Got about 10 USA-made endmills for less than $5 each on average, and several sheets of acrylic needed to finish the Colibri.

I also picked up an air-operated gearhead motor from the consignment table that "may" work for powering the Colibri.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2018, 02:15:43 AM »
Thank you for the posts and pictures!! There's some beautiful machinery there, and I especially like the dirt pile for the construction equipment modelers. That's a rabbit hole I could easily fall down!!

Wow, some day...

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2018, 02:43:50 AM »
Thank you for the posts and pictures!! There's some beautiful machinery there, and I especially like the dirt pile for the construction equipment modelers. That's a rabbit hole I could easily fall down!!

Wow, some day...

Pete
Those excavators are truly amazing bits of machinery, using real hydraulic pumps and cylinders, though messy when one springs a leak. Would be a whole lot of fun though!

Offline Steam Haulage

• Notts UK
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2018, 08:39:26 AM »
Thanks for the Cabin Fever pix and especially for the video, modern technology vs Victorian. I couldn't help wondering whether the Lombard in steam would have been able to get up the dirt pile on its own.

Jerry :old:
Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you, pigs treat you as equal.

Offline cheepo45

« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2018, 11:58:22 AM »
I did talk to you briefly, Zee.
Thanks for posting the pictures, crueby-nice work!
Already working on an engine for next year.
 cheepo45 (Scott)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2018, 01:25:11 PM »
Thanks for the Cabin Fever pix and especially for the video, modern technology vs Victorian. I couldn't help wondering whether the Lombard in steam would have been able to get up the dirt pile on its own.

Jerry :old:
That ramp was about the same grade as my driveway, so I think it could, as long as the wheels on the front didn't sink into the dirt. The trucks had the power but the wheels were too hard and smooth, and just spun.

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2018, 01:34:05 PM »
My Stuart triple casting set didn't sell at the consignment table.  It was right next to the set Ron Ginger apparently bought, so I guess he was intimidated.   >:D  :LittleDevil:

Yes, I really want to have that engine, but I am not sure I am up to such a detailed engine. I have the Stuart twin compound under my bench. I started it once but decided it had to wait for more skill to build up. I'm not sure the rate of increase in skill and the decline of old age will intersect on the positive side.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2018, 03:22:53 PM »
Great video and pictures Chris. Loved the action at the dirt pile! Thanks for posting.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2018, 07:06:22 AM »
I was there on Saturday afternoon, and talked to Stan for a little while. I haven't done anything with model engines lately, or even machining, for that matter. Mostly electronics projects and things around the house. I got a knee replacement in March, so I am presently caught up on my way to being bionic. I might get zerk fittings for my remaining joints! I also got a senior dog, Mr Tibbs, in June, and he also keeps me busy.

http://muttleydog.com/pictures/MrTibbs/Paul&Tibbs_Adoption_Event_2017.jpg height=624
http://muttleydog.com/pictures/MrTibbs/Paul&Tibbs_3409a.jpg

Here is a video I made of Cabin Fever:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2UsKrfgm4Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2UsKrfgm4Y</a>

I'll try to visit here a little more often.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2018, 11:38:46 AM »
Hi Paul, and thanks for adding the video from CF for those of us that weren't able to go. A fine looking companion you have there too !!

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal