Author Topic: When, what to my wondering eyes should appear...  (Read 16535 times)

Offline Chipswitheverything

Re: When, what to my wondering eyes should appear...
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2018, 10:12:07 AM »
Hi Kim, that all looks like an excellent start with enjoying and learning the new machinery, and it seems that you have added a considerable asset to your machine shop.  Hasn't taken you long to get the DRO sorted and the first swarf on the table!   Dave

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2018, 11:03:56 AM »
Kim, I am totally impressed.  The new mill is a great addition and as for the dro...what can I say :LickLips:. I would certainly GRIN on every visit.      Enjoy              Terry

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2018, 02:56:13 PM »
Thanks Dave and Terry,
I certainly am enjoying my new toys tools! :)
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2018, 07:19:04 PM »
Glad you are getting to play with the new mill and DROs Kim. I can well relate as to  the power difference between the new mill and the Taig. It will spoil you, especially when working on larger parts. So happy to hear you are up and running!!!

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2018, 05:06:49 AM »
Thanks Bill!

With the clamps rounded, I drilled and tapped holes for the clamping screw.

After drilling a clearance hole half way through, I used a 3/8” 2-slot end mill to make a countersink for the 1/4" SCHS clamping screws.

Next I needed to cut the slit in the clamps.  However, as I was setting this up I noticed that the top of the parts would hit the quill as I was trying to cut the slit.  :(

Luckly, I came up with a way to do it – I used the 3/8” sitting saw adaptor from my Taig, and put that in the 3/8” R8 Holder.   This put the slitting saw significantly lower than using the R8 slitting saw adaptor directly.

Here’s a shot after cutting the slit in one of the clamps:

And the two completed clamps:

For my final shot, I’ve got them clamped in place on the mill.  Now all I have to do is trim them up a bit and attach the iGauging scale!

Getting closer!
Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2018, 12:31:37 AM »
To complete the installation of the Quill Z-Axis, I made 3 threaded holes in the back of the read head and mounted it to the vertical plate clamped to the quill feed.

Then I trimmed the horizontal plate that clamped to the Quill itself to match up with the scale, and drilled and tapped a couple of holes for the scale clamp.

Here’s the completed process:

I attached a 8” length of aluminum angle as a cover to help protect the DRO.

Finally, I double sticky taped a short length of steel angle iron to the top of my DRO display, and attached the quill readout there (there are magnets on the back of the iGaging readout, so it just magnets to the angle iron.

My new mill, in all its completed glory!

And it only took me four weeks to get the DROs all installed!  But I’m happy to have it done :)

Thanks for the advice and help along the way,
Kim

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2018, 12:53:30 AM »
Very nice work Kim on a very sweet piece of equipment.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2018, 01:13:14 AM »
Very neat installation Kim. Now you can start making some chips  8)

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2018, 01:30:33 AM »
Thanks Bob & Bill!
Kim

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2018, 08:21:31 AM »
That's a very nice installation Kim, and it's been a good idea to get on with it and have the DRO available from the very outset. Like your DRO mounting,  my Tom Senior DRO fit did take quite a time to do:  and I do just wonder if a few DRO kits sit in their boxes for ages after purchase, when the buyers realise the work that they have landed themselves with!   Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2018, 10:26:33 PM »
A few weeks back this package showed up on my doorstep:

I’d completely forgotten I’d ordered this er… um… my wife order it, I mean, as part of my Christmas present!  And it was back-ordered.  I knew it was on back-order because Grizzly is very good about letting you know.  But had been over 2 months and I'd forgotten about it.  What a fun surprise!

And with the metal rack complete, it seemed time to tackle this, before getting back to the steam tractor.

First thing I did was to read through the skimpy directions.  These did not look like the standard Grizzly instructions.  These were factory sealed instructions.  And the first page just cracked me up: “Welcome to use this power feed. It will make your job convenient and make you happy.”

I mean, what more could you ask for from a piece of equipment beyond making your job convenient, and making you happy!  :ROFL:

Once past that, I started taking apart the right side of the xy table, as conveniently and happily instructed.

Next was to mount the power feed.  One problem here was that I had no 3mm square key, and it didn’t come with one.  So I had to make a trip to the HW store to pick one up.  Unfortunately, they only had 4mm, so I milled 1mm off each dimension and we were good to go.

Here’s the bevel gear that engages with the motor, and the 3mm key on the drive shaft.

Next issue; the bearing housing that came with the mill was about 2x longer than the one that comes with the power feed.

Which resulted in this:

The number dial isn’t anywhere near the marker that you are supposed to read it from.

But, since I’ve got the DROs, I won’t be relying on that dial too much.  So for now, I’ve decided to ignore it. :)

Here’s completed beauty shot.  I did have to modify the Y axis connection for the DRO.  The power feed housing was hitting the Y-axis DRO brackets when pulled in to one extreme of travel.

Even with this, I think I am loosing about an inch of X travel.  I’m going to leave it like this for now.  I’d have to completely re-plumb the Y-DRO setup to get around it and I just wasn’t ready to bite that off.  Maybe someday, when I decide that extra inch is worth it!

So, NOW I think my new mill is ready for some SERIOUS action!  And It will be convenient, AND I will be happy!  :D

Thanks,
Kim

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2018, 10:42:48 PM »
You're going to love that.  :ThumbsUp:

I also have an ALSGS for my mill. But I had to mount it on the left side of the table and it completely replaced the left hand-wheel.
Which is fine. I happen to be right-handed and the right hand-wheel is 'handy'.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2018, 11:50:54 PM »
I'm glad you like yours, Zee.

I might have been better off to mount it on the left.  That would have resolved the problem with the interference with the Y-axis DRO.

But, wouldn't the controls be on the back side of the mill if you mount it on the right left?  How does that work?

Kim
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:34:44 AM by Kim »

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2018, 11:52:15 PM »
One other question I was going to ask for anyone who might know - the instructions talk about a knee mount for the ALSGS.  Has anyone used one of these to drive their mill knee?  I would certainly be interested in doing that!   It's a lot of work cranking that thing up and down! :)

Thanks,
Kim

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2018, 12:40:55 AM »
I might have been better off to mount it on the left.  That would have resolved the problem with the interference with the Y-axis DRO.
But, wouldn't the controls be on the back side of the mill if you mount it on the right?  How does that work?

Yes. Controls would have been in the back had I mounted on the right.
When I first talked to the vendor, along with some misunderstanding of the instructions...I had initially tried to mount it on the right.
All the time thinking I didn't like it because the hand wheel would be gone.

It was soon apparent that it was designed for the left.

Looks to me that yours was designed for the right. Otherwise, just as you suspect, the controls would be on the back side. No?

It seems surprising to me that there would be left versus right drives. There may be...but I'd think it would be more clear where they go.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal