Author Topic: When, what to my wondering eyes should appear...  (Read 16525 times)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: When, what to my wondering eyes should appear...
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2018, 04:12:14 PM »
Thanks for the picture, Dave. Yes, I see your Z-axis there now.  I think it was the excellent paint job you did that caused me not to notice!  I don’t plan on painting mine, at least, not yet! :)  But my Z-axis shouldn’t be too bad (he says optimistically :) )

As you see below, my Y-axis had that kind of problem – lots of do-dads to work around.

Here I’m squaring up the Y-axis scale.

Then I modified the cover to fit around all the fixtures on the mill.

Showing the cover in place:

Next, and most complicated, was fixing the read head to the saddle.  This is a bit of bar stock I had to modify to fit on the end of the saddle to hold the fixture.

And how it fits in (“F” marks the Front).

Then, hours of little puzzles and headaches later, I had the read head squared and attached to the saddle.

And, finally, with the swarf cover in place.

Last will be the Z-axis.  And it does look to be ‘mostly’ straight forward. But all that piping for the One-Shot-Oiler that is on this mill makes things a little more challenging. It uses up valuable real estate on the mill and makes for lots of ‘off limit’ areas and things you have to dodge around.

But I’ll get there!
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2018, 04:20:02 PM »
Despite all the dodging of obstacles, that is a very neat installation Kim!  Hopefully the "Z" axis will be easier. That is just a quill attachment correct?

Bill

Edit: looking back at the earlier pictured of all the goodies, I see that you have a 3 axis kit, so assume you will have a DRO for the knee and quill both ...nice
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 04:23:51 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2018, 04:50:11 PM »
Yes, Bill, that is my plan.
I'm putting the Z-axis of the DRO on the knee, and have a little iGaging scale for the quill.
Kim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2018, 01:12:12 AM »
Kim I had my x axis at the back of the mill but loss some travel so I moved it to the front worked much better.

Don

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2018, 05:31:48 AM »
Hmm... You too, eh, Don?  Did you lose the X-axis stops or the locks?  I make use of the lock a lot.  I've never had the stops, but I have thought that those would have been very handy and always wished I had them.  But maybe you haven't found that to be a limitation?

Kim

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2018, 09:40:55 AM »
Hi Kim, progress on the tricky fitting is coming on well.
  I had to lose the stop facility on my mill table when I put the DRO slider on the front of the main table, but as the arrangement on the Senior always had a bit of "squeeze" in it, I never much used the stops.  With the DRO working, you will have a very accurate indication of coming up to a limit, without the physical stop.   But the slide locks you very definitely need to keep available.  I had to do a mod on my lock, described in my write up.  The tee slot for the stops I was able to conveniently use to mount the DRO slider bar and its backing plate. 
 If you do think to move the DRO to the front of the table, see if you can avoid a silly oversight of mine - I should have left a small amount of table edge above the cover plate of the DRO, so that I could put the stock of a square against it when setting up jobs on the table.   Dave

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2018, 07:19:48 PM »
Ok, I’m another one Kim. I moved mine to the front awhile before I bought the big Jet. IIRC, I mounted the read head where the switch for the X axis power feed stops was mounted and didn’t even have to drill and tap any holes for that. I don’t recall it hampering the X axis table locks though. +1 on leaving a lip, whether front or back.

Cletus

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2018, 08:17:27 PM »
OK, now you guys have me reconsidering here.  I may have to move my X-axis scale up front...  If the stops aren't that big of a deal, and I can keep the travel x-axis lock, then it's hard to think about leaving it there - an inch-plus is a big part of the Y-travel... Hmm....

Hate to back up and do that one again, but better now than later I guess...

Kim
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:28:11 PM by Kim »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2018, 08:33:58 PM »
I have the scale on the front on "H"'s X axis but it is spaced off so that the stops are still available: I needed to keep them as they provide trip when using the power feed.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2018, 10:32:46 PM »
Kim, I would use it a while first and see if it really is a problem. You can also compensate by moving the head ram in or out an inch or so. Just a thought.

Bill

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2018, 11:06:36 PM »
Hmm... yeah, Bill, that seems like sound advice.

Jo, how far is it spaced off?  The stops on this mill stick out almost an inch which seems like it would be pretty far out.

Kim

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2018, 08:07:15 AM »

Jo, how far is it spaced off?  The stops on this mill stick out almost an inch which seems like it would be pretty far out.

It is spaced off 50mm from the bed, mounted on a steel bar to support/protect the scale. By careful positioning of the cover it seems more like an extension to the bed ( = more space that I can leave my tools all over  :) )

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2018, 04:38:27 PM »
Thanks for the info Jo.  More for me to think about...

For the moment, I'll be focusing on the Z-axis.  I may just leave the X as is for a bit and how much it bothers me.  I can always move it, right? :)

Kim

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2018, 07:11:57 PM »
Kim, if the head of your mill will extend and retract in the Y axis , then you should be ok, mine and Don’s doesn’t.

Cletus

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2018, 07:43:53 PM »
Hey Cletus,
Yes, this mill has a 'ram head' and can move in and out.  However, I'm sure you'll have to re-tram things every time you move it.  But yes, I can see how having the head be able to move in and out could mitigate the loss of Y-travel a bit.

Thanks!
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal