Author Topic: When, what to my wondering eyes should appear...  (Read 16529 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: When, what to my wondering eyes should appear...
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2017, 12:21:51 AM »
We will need the obligatory pic of course Kim.  :D

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 12:25:41 AM »
I agree Bill: with Kim in Christmas pajamas and raindeer house shoes  :lolb:

Cletus

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2017, 12:41:16 AM »
You're having too much fun!  :ThumbsUp:

Dave

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2017, 04:44:26 AM »
Sweet!  :whoohoo:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2017, 07:55:44 AM »
It doesn't take that long to open a few boxes  :noidea:

Hey Kim, don't keep us in suspense we want to see what is in the boxes  :naughty:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2017, 08:04:05 AM »
I expect he has been slowed by having to move all that junk behind earlier than expected so the crane can be backed out of the way :'(

Looking good, are you allowed to properly play (make swarf) with the new toy before Xmas?

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2017, 04:37:35 PM »
Well, I actually HAVE opened the boxes, I just haven't gotten around to posting pics... I'll try to do that later today.  With all the festivities of the upcoming holiday, believe it or not, I'm actually taking some time out of the shop to spend with my family  :Lol:.

But, since it hasn't happened if there aren't pictures to prove it, I guess I haven't opened the boxes  yet!  :naughty:

And Jason, very astute observation.  You're more right than you know!  I haven't moved the crane yet - I've left it all harnessed up, just in case I need to nudge the machine an inch to the left or something.  But I fear I will have to clear up the pile of junk before the crane will come out!

And no moratorium on swarf making before Christmas!  ;D  However, I will have to get out to Home Depot and get a suitable plug & cord so that I can hook it up to power.  These machines don't come with a plug.  I guess they figure no matter which one they put on it will be wrong, or that you'll cut it off to connect it directly to a power source.  Anyway, all part of the fun of a new machine!

Eric, still working on the Christmas Pajamas, so that picture will be delayed a while!  :ROFL:

Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 05:17:43 PM »
OK, just to make sure you all know that I REALLY did unbox my goodies yesterday, here’s the proof:

The highlights are, 3-axis DRO (with a little iGaging unit for the quill), a SB 4” mill vise, a selection of R8 collets and tooling, and a SB 8” Rotary Table.

You might have also noticed the yellow foot pads in the previous photo.  I was waiting for those to set the machine down.  And, since they came in, I went ahead and set the mill down on the floor, on all four feet!

Onward and upward!
Kim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2017, 08:19:47 PM »
Awesome Kim and congrats buddy on you acquisition. Now you know it’s really starting to get addictive and the acquition syndrome is starting to really sink in.... :lolb:

:cheers:
Don

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2017, 10:04:19 PM »
Thanks Don! Yes, it is somewhat addictive, isn't it?  But I'm going to have to stop - I've run out of room in my shop!  :o

Many days in the past week have been dedicated to fun family times :)  But I’ve still made some progress in the shop.

I think it was still before Christmas when I actually got around to leveling the Mill:

And also leveling the Lathe in its new location.  Note the carefully written note on the tailstock to remind me!

Yesterday, I started working on the DRO installation.  First, I unboxed the scales and the DRO unit and spread them all out on my work table, then carefully read the sketchy installation instructions.

With all the pondering and pacing that goes into these kinds of things, it took me many hours yesterday to get the X-axis installed.  Here’s a first test fitting with the scale clamped in place.

After a bunch of drilling and tapping (always a little tense when I’m working on a new piece of machinery!) I got the X-axis installed and squared up.  The read head is bolted to the back of the 1/4" aluminum bar, which is in turn, bolted to the back side of the saddle.

And now with the cover installed, my X-axis is complete.

Only two more to go!
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2017, 10:23:53 PM »
I am behind Kim. That's a nice bunch of goodies to go with the new mill. You must have been very good this year!!

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 08:22:03 AM »
Thanks Bill.  Clearly, I've been exemplary this year  :lolb:
Kim

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 01:28:04 PM »
Hi Kim, have fun with the DRO kit!, I was doing just the same pondering and head scratching a year ago with a pile of pretty similar looking bits. I tried a few false starts before coming up with the arrangement, as one good thing seemed to be compromised by some snag elsewhere.   The bracketry you have looks highly the same....  I ended up making a fair amount of other odd bits from bar stock, as you have done.
   See that you opted for putting the X axis scale on the back of your slide, I would have quite liked that solution but I would have lost too much of the available Y travel.  I wrote up / photographed my adventures with the 3 axis fitting on my Senior mill, in the My Workshop section, Dec 31st '16, Fitting a DRO to a Tom Senior Mill, just wonder if there is anything there to interest you while you are doing your design scheming...      Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 05:31:52 PM »
Hi Dave,
Yes, I do remember your work putting the DRO on your Tom Senior mill.  And in fact, I'm mounting my Y axis just as you did.  My read head bracket will have to be slightly different since I've got a few more bits to dodge around on my mill, but quite similar.

As you noted, I opted for the back of the slide on the X-axis.  Yes, its quite sad to lose slightly over an inch of Y travel.  But in the end, I decied I'd miss that less than losing the stops and the access to the X-axis locks.  So that's the way I went.  As you said, its all a big pile of compromises!

Did you install a Z-axis on your Tom Senior? I didn't see one in your post.

Thanks,
Kim

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 10:46:57 AM »
Hello Kim, thanks for your comments.  Yes, the third, Z,  axis is on my mill, the photos show it all.
   That third axis was the most involved to configure, as one side of the mill column had a door, and the other the electrics that needed to be shifted: -  but you look to have an easier proposition, I think.  I wanted to keep chips away from the Z scale and reader, so had to devise some dedicated fitments to tuck the delicate bits "round the corner"  so to speak.   As you can see, I painted the covers and brackets, which did a lot to blend the apparatus in.   Dave
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:50:01 AM by Chipswitheverything »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal