Author Topic: Mini Mill Belt Drive Conversion  (Read 2951 times)

Offline RayW

Mini Mill Belt Drive Conversion
« on: April 15, 2018, 05:58:41 PM »
Those of you familiar with the Sieg X1 Mini Mill and its clones will be all too familiar with the awful noisy and very fragile, plastic gears, which shed teeth when the least load is put on them.
Having replaced gears regularly since buying my Clarke CMD10 mill, I decided that it was time to convert to belt drive.
I purchased a beautifully designed and manufactured kit from a very helpful guy in Turkey, Murat Bilgin Bilici, and the attached photos show the end result. The only extra I had to purchase was the black plastic box to house the electronics, which were originally incorporated in the gearbox. Fitting itself could not have been more simple, taking about 20-30 minutes. Transferring the electronics to their new box took longer!
 I have not included pictures of the actual conversion process as there are excellent illustrations on Murats website at https://www.mbbilici.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=57
The kits are in great demand and Murat produces them in batches so there can be a wait of several months, but he accepts pre-orders and does not request payment until the kit is ready for despatch.

Ray
Ray

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Mini Mill Belt Drive Conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 06:11:05 PM »
Nice! You'll enjoy that.

I'm not familiar with that particular machine.
I'm assuming the electronics were replaced. Why? Did the new electronics provide some interesting features you didn't have?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline RayW

Re: Mini Mill Belt Drive Conversion
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 09:15:48 PM »
Hi Zee.

The existing electronics are retained but they had to be relocated as the old gearbox unit, which also housed the electronics, was removed to fit the belt drive assembly.
The triple pulley arrangement, coupled with the existing variable speed control, gives an excellent range of speeds, coupled with much quieter running.
My machine is a Clarke CMD10, which is identical to the Sieg X1.

Ray
Ray

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal