Author Topic: When, what to my wondering eyes should appear...  (Read 16522 times)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear...
« on: December 16, 2017, 06:36:02 AM »
… when, what to my  wondering eyes should appear, but a miniature sleigh, and eight tiny reindeer, …

Or maybe it was a big yellow truck with a lift gate.

Regardless, the important point is, that the jolly old man left me a present!

Oh!  What fun!  Just what I always wanted for Christmas!  How did my wife know?!   OK, maybe I helped her out a little bit.  And my gift to her was that she didn’t have to have anything to do with it!  And she could be far away during delivery.   :D

Delivery went very smoothly.  He offered to back the truck down the driveway and help me get it right into the garage.  Couldn’t have asked for a better situation!

After he’d left I broke open the crate.  I found the packaging interesting.  The lathe came in a completely enclosed box – hard sides all around.  The mill, clearly, did not. But it seems to have arrived just fine.

Next step is figuring out how to get it off the pallet.  Always a fun bonding experience with a new piece of equipment :D

There are a bunch more goodies coming for it sometime next week – um…  or so a little elf told me.  It's all a surprise to me! (isn’t it?  ;))

Ho, ho, ho….  :cartwheel:    :whoohoo:   :cartwheel:
Kim

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 07:26:14 AM by Kim »

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
Re: When, what to my wondering eyes should appear...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 08:06:49 AM »
Ooohhhhh NICE!

Take care getting it off the pellet, I’m sure you will.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 08:26:39 AM »
 8)

That looks very useful  :naughty: I Hope you are not going to be good and wait for Xmas day itself to make swarf with it  :stickpoke:

Make sure that someone else helps you when you take it off the pallet  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Joco

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 09:38:12 AM »
Now that looks SOLID.   Awesome xmas prezzy.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 10:05:49 AM »
That's a lovely acquisition Kim  :ThumbsUp:

May you have many, many hours of pleasure in its use  :)

Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 12:16:28 PM »
Nice Kim!   go slow and think about the process.....Gravity is a mothah!...

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 12:35:14 PM »
Congratulations Kim. A fine new addition to the shop!!

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 01:06:32 PM »
Nice! Good thing Santa rented a truck rather than land that crate on your roof, and drop it down the chimney!!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 03:21:15 PM »
Congrats on the new addition Kim!

One of my engine buddies has pretty much the same mill, he is quite happy with it.

You must have been pretty good this year!

Dave

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 03:49:52 PM »
Thanks everyone!  As you might guess, I'm quite excited!  :cartwheel:

Yes, I'll be extremely careful.  I believe I have a good plan on how to stage the manouver without ever breaking a sweat!  Slow and careful is the ticket, as you say.  Take no chances at all.

No, Jo, I'm not going to be good !  I'll be all over it this week before Christmas.  I've got some time off and will be using it to make the newest member of my shop feel right at home!  ;D

Kim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 05:07:20 PM »
Hi Kim,
nice present, congratulation.
I am just thinking how to get such a monster through the staircase into my shop unser the roof in the second flloor. :lolb:

Kind Regards
Achim

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 05:34:07 PM »
WONDERFUL present Kim   Take care and have FUN.       Terry

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 06:10:03 PM »
Thanks to all for the well wishes on my new addition!

And I wish you all have as happy a Christmas as I have!
Its not just because of the new addition to the shop.  I get to have several of my kids come home for the holidays, and that is the best present ever!
Kim

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 10:45:33 PM »
OK, how to get the pallet out from under the mill?  Turns out, the pallet is two wide in both directions for my shop crane to get in there to hook up to the mill.  I seem to recall having the same problem with the lathe!  What I did then was to jack up each corner and slowly raise the pallet high enough that I could slide the crane under it.

I started doing that, but the mill lifted hire off the ground, it started to feel too unstable.  And that didn’t give me good feelings.  So, in keeping with my “Don’t take any chances” mentality, I lowered the pallet back down and decided on another course of action.

This time I just blocked up the pallet where the runners attached to the mill, and then cut off all the excess pallet.  This shot is right after I finished cutting the pallet down to size.
[

And with the pallet narrowed like this, I could get the shop crane in far enough to be useful.

So I rolled the crane into position, harnessed it up and lifted the mill off the pallet.  Then I pulled the mutilated pallet out from under it, and set it back down to rest on the legs of the shop crane itself.  Like so:

Now here, you can see where the mill is currently positioned (close to the garage door), and where its going to go – right about where my red HF Horizontal Bandsaw is on the left side of the pic.  And I have to navigate around that stupid pole in the middle of my garage.  (OK,so the stupid pole supports the house, but still, I’m sure they could have found a more inconvenient place for this pole if they’d really tried, but its pretty inconvenient as it is!)

And then slowly rolling the shop crane around, I got my new mill to his new home location.

Now, for the safety conscience amongst us (which I hope is ALL of you!), I want assure you that the pile of junk behind the mill will be leaving the garage in the next few days ( :cartwheel:) so it won’t be in the way.
Also, while I did all of the moving myself, I did have my wife come out to the shop to supervise any of the lifting/moving parts, just so that I had human backup to call if anything went horribly wrong.  But, taking it slowly and carefully, and thinking through each step ahead of time, and stopping if anything felt the least bit questionable – I was able to do the whole move without lifting anything, or even expending much effort.  Most of the effort was in braking up the shipping pallet it came on!

And finally, the cliff-hanger:  Just I was coming in for lunch, the doorbell rang. It was our UPS man with a small collection of boxes for me!  I’m betting that long one on top are the scales for the DRO for the mill.  And the other boxes?  I’ll have to open them and see!  That will be a post-lunch activity :)

Thanks for checking in on me,
Kim

Offline dalem9

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 11:03:13 PM »
Very nice Kim . I just got a new mill in Feb. Was really exciting to have something new . I am sure you will enjoy it !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal