Author Topic: High speed drill attachment for lathe  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Doc

• USA ND
High speed drill attachment for lathe
« on: December 09, 2017, 09:13:06 PM »
Ok started working n my high speed drill plan for my lathe. Hopefully it will work. I am waiting for a small drill chuck that I ordered but I figured I could get started.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYKQkiL7g84" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYKQkiL7g84</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYKQkiL7g84" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYKQkiL7g84</a>

Offline petertha

Re: High speed drill attachment for lathe
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 06:19:09 PM »
Very interesting project. I guess you're going to keep me in suspense for next video installations when the assembly comes together. I'm interested in the plan of attack holding the motor bodies concentric (meaning the shaft) because the cases aren't exactly precision machined- at least the ones I've messed around with. I'm assuming the motor will be in the tailstock attachment you machined, not on the tool post? Also, what kinds of bearings do they have in there? I'm guessing this is project is achieve high rpm for small diameter drilling?

I had a similar idea I wanted to adopt on my mill with the motor off on the side with bracket attached to quill, so I don't really have alignment issue as a lathe. I have a spare RC brushless motor that I hooked up to speed control, servo tester for variable rpm & DC power. Its a very high KV winding so can probably do 40K rpm under load very easily. Even though those bearings are very high quality & intended to take propeller thrust load, I'm told that people burn them up in no time with anything like metalworking.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 01:13:38 AM »
The motor I'm going to use runs at 22000 rpm and the small drills will pull hardly anything for a load . I do have a high speed attachment for cnc machine made from a dremel tool that runs I think in the 40k range. I've used it a few times with small end mills (.030) in brass and plastic and it seems to be holding up so far.
    I have 3 screws in the cup that will hold the motor that will be used to dial in the motor shaft. I did get the little drill chuck I ordered and quite honestly am impressed with it and the cost. I did chuck a pin in it and put it in the lathe in a 5c collet and found the jacobs 0 taper runs out a little.
   So when I get back to this I will set up and cut a couple new jacobs taper adapters t correct that. I'll explain that in the next video right now I jumped back to the power feed mod I was working on. I should get that done tomorrow then I'll finish up (I hope) the high speed attachment.

Just a note the little high speed drill press I done up works well and I do like it just encase anyone is interested.

Offline petertha

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 05:09:47 AM »
Doc, how much current do you think the motor will draw once loaded with a drill? A 9v Duracell Coppertop/Procell for example only has ~250maH capacity but that's at teeny 250mA constant discharge. If your motor pulls say 5A that would yield <3 minutes before entirely depleted. But even that's probably optimistic because the way the voltage decays.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 11:34:52 AM »

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 02:18:45 PM »
Thats a really nice set up Rich good job.
      I did a similar set up on my nc machine only I used a dremel tool for the spindle and it works quite well. I was thinking it would have to much slop in the bearings or that they wouldn't hold up but they have so far. but then again all I've used it for is cutting gaskets out of Teflon material and son .03 thick aluminum. Anyway you did a really nice job there!!! :NotWorthy:

Petertha the motor I am using doesn't draw much current I have used it to drill several holes just playing with it. And so far still has enough current to drill with. With the size drills I am drilling with there is very little load on the motor. But if I do have trouble I'll replace the battery with a cord to the power pack that runs my power feed on the lathe. All I need to do is take another 9v connector from a battery and snap it in place and I'll still be able to use the little switch and set up the way it is.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 11:05:46 PM »
Ok Merry Christmas everyone. Here it is Christmas day and I spent a little time out in the shop. I used the high speed attachment for the lathe and the high speed drill press. Everything worked like a dream here are some pictures f the part I made today.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal