Author Topic: Anzani Drawings  (Read 6604 times)

Offline Trevorc

Anzani Drawings
« on: December 06, 2017, 05:59:38 PM »
Hello, i have previously made appeals for info on castings and drawings for the Anzani Y engine.
Have now made contact with vendor of castings so thank you for the help in that direction. I am told that drawings are available from John Chenery but havent been able to make contact yet. An e mail address provided by a member " bounced" when used so no luck in that direction. So, one more plea for contact details for John Chenery please. If replying with address details please send via private message- such details are deleted from general forum correspondence.
Many thanks
Trevorc
PS , i have Model Engineer articles but drawings are too small to work to with my eyesight!

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Anzani Drawings
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 06:35:21 PM »
Don't know if the e-mail link on this page is different to the one you have tried.

http://www.modelengineeringwebsite.com/Chenery_2.html

Offline Trevorc

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 09:43:53 PM »
Thanks Jason, it worked!! I now have the info i require.
Many thanks
Trevorc

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 10:43:54 PM »
Hello Trevor,

Your persistence is remarkable. Eventually, after all these weeks, the MEM members have got you in touch with the supplier of the castings and now the supplier of the drawings.
I hope building the engine will be easier than the chase for the castings and drawings.

Cheers

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline petertha

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 10:55:18 PM »
Just out of interest, where did the castings come from & are they still available? (Strange that there wouldn't be some plans+castings combo arrangement made, but I don't really know anything about the situation or rights etc.).

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 07:43:36 AM »
Have a look at this thread, Mike can sometimes supply castings from his patterns.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 08:12:53 AM »
Just out of interest, where did the castings come from & are they still available? (Strange that there wouldn't be some plans+castings combo arrangement made, but I don't really know anything about the situation or rights etc.).

Hi Peter,

The drawings for the Y type Anzani are by Les Chenery and his son is still selling the drawings but can not supply the castings.

One of our members Mike Cole http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?action=profile;u=2650 has made patterns for three different Anzani engines and if asked nicely will provide castings for them at a very reasonable cost and he will also send them overseas  :)

I have drawn up the variations from Les' original drawings required for the W type and the 6 cylinder versions that Mike provides the castings for   ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline mnay

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 07:38:32 PM »
I don't know if this is the same engine, but  an Anzani was featured in the magazine "Strictly IC"
Back issues are still available.

ANZANI 3-CYL FAN ENGINE IN QUARTER SCALE, by Ing. Alfred Eichinger..
          The engine which flew the Bleriot in the first crossing of the English Channel.
                         Issue:# 81, 82, 83 & 84.....$8.00ea.....Total: $32.00

Good luck
Mike

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 08:25:00 PM »
First pic is Alfred Eichinger's Fan Anzani Engine.

Second is the Les Chenery Y Type Anzani engine  ;)

Jo

Offline Woodguy

• Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 09:09:13 PM »
Video of the Deperdussin powered by the Anzani Y can be seen here: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU34wHlCM4Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU34wHlCM4Y</a>  (Note: not my video)

I set out the other day to begin a 3D model of the Anzani Y (anyone done that?) and I decided to start with the cylinders. I have a question. I thought that the engine which was modeled By Mr. Chenery was the one at Old Warden, but if you compare the models or drawings with that engine (photo attached), you can clearly see that they are different (count the fins).  Is there any description in the original magazine article which speaks to the differences? Casting the cylinders with the original fin layout at this scale would be difficult indeed, unless by investment and I wonder if that was the reason the number of fins was reduced - or was it a different version that was modeled?

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 07:28:27 AM »
Fins were machined and not cast on the models.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 07:28:58 AM »
I thought that the engine which was modeled By Mr. Chenery was the one at Old Warden, but if you compare the models or drawings with that engine (photo attached), you can clearly see that they are different (count the fins).  Is there any description in the original magazine article which speaks to the differences? Casting the cylinders with the original fin layout at this scale would be difficult indeed, unless by investment and I wonder if that was the reason the number of fins was reduced - or was it a different version that was modeled?

Les in his original design attempted to provider the modeller with a casting for the cylinders and he chose Aluminium for all of his castings. If you look at the design of the fins you need to machine them with a ball nose cutter in this case a 3mm one, this leaves fins that are 1.2mm thick. Really the gaps should also be 1.2mm wide but that is not practical to machine as 1.2mm ball nose cutters of the length required do not exist (and if they did would break).

Les's provision of an Aluminium cylinder casting is not original - the Anzani Y type, like all Aero engines prior to the Bentley BR2 Aero engine, has cylinders made of a steel billet machined to a very thin section but for a model scale fins/gaps and thickness is not practical. Brian Fairey produced steel cylinder design for the Anzani that allowed the more traditional technique of using a slitting saw to be used to cut the fins, with subsequent silver soldering requirements but still you cannot get to the original number/pitch of fins on the cylinders.

Jo

Offline mikecole7

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 09:37:02 AM »

Hi

All the Anzani cylinders are cast iron castings the "y"type, the Fan engine and the 6 cylinder. They are all cast in cast iron.

Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal