Author Topic: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project  (Read 94326 times)

Offline kvom

Re: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project
« Reply #435 on: October 12, 2020, 03:05:21 PM »
That's sure a lot of nuts!   ;D

For the horizontal dashpots, are there springs inside?

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #436 on: October 12, 2020, 06:46:14 PM »
Thanks for looking in 'KV' :ThumbsUp:

Yes you could say that - they appear endless  ::) I've been having to open 8BA nuts to 7BA today just to keep going - hopefully the latest order from EKP will arrive tomorrow.

The dashpots pistons are separated by a spring and appear to work quite well - theres no dampening as such, at this size I doubt it would be effective anyway - those small bolts in the face representing bleed  points are dummies

David - Just come in from the workshop - had a good day spoilt only by domestic duties this morning  ::)

Thanks for the drawings which are helpful. I now have the HP valves and dashpots hooked up. I haven't measured the dimensions arrived at to compare them with the (Throp) drawings but will check the lengths tomorrow against yours.

I think one of the reasons the valve opening appears a bit short on the LP side is the fact that the linkage from the HP rocker to the LP rocker does not meet the LP one at right angles to its centre line of movement - just like the bellcrank in a control line model, if set up in this way it does give assymetric movement.

Talking of which - you have to admit it would make for some excessive nose weight ;D

Regards - Tug

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #437 on: October 13, 2020, 02:15:02 PM »

I wish I had something more knowledgeable to say than just 'wow!'.

But...well...wow!

gary

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #438 on: October 13, 2020, 10:13:23 PM »
Well 'wow!' is better than nothing at all Gary hope you are getting something from it  :) 

Just bear in mind one thing - when I, and many others too, started out on this hobby much like you have, nothing looked like this does - it all comes with practice, 'time applied', setbacks and mistakes. You have a great road ahead of you - go for it.

It's amazing what enthusiasm (which you obviously possess) - can do for you  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Regards - Tug

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #439 on: October 13, 2020, 10:57:11 PM »
Thank you Ramon - these are kind and encouraging words.

What I get from looking at the photos of your work is not only the obvious sense of technical ability and skill, but also the sheer beauty of it. Even the colours...

Cheers,

gary

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #440 on: October 14, 2020, 12:07:52 AM »
Beautiful Tug, just beautiful.   :ThumbsUp:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #441 on: October 14, 2020, 01:12:02 PM »
Wow.   :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy:

Vince

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #442 on: October 14, 2020, 05:41:27 PM »
Well, they were well meant and well deserved Gary - hope you get your workshop back up and safe soon.

Thanks for looking in and your endorsement Craig - appreciated  :ThumbsUp:

You too Vince - hope you're are keeping well and enjoying that Mediteranean sunshine - really damp and dismal here, been raining for days now but - its bright and warm in the workshop  :)

Had one of those less productive days - several phone calls and just couldn't find any real momentum but tomorrow's another day.

HP cylinder is now at the same stage as the LP and all is working as it should. Currently working on the drop links to connect to the trip levers which should be done by the week end and I can see if it all works as it should. At this rate soon be thinking about putting some air on it  :)

Regards - Tug

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #443 on: October 15, 2020, 02:29:04 PM »
Hi ,This is looking spectacular. and the photography is really good..Something to aspire too definitely . I was looking at an old 18th century mine pumping engine and couldn't help noticing that with all those actuating curved levers working against stops that this looked a bit like a Corliss system for adjusting cut off  etc etc  ?!!! keep up this Wonderfull work

Willy

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #444 on: October 16, 2020, 09:20:43 AM »
Hello Willy - good to hear from you, "Howwa yew gittin orn up ther in Naw-wich bor" ;D  Hope you are keeping well and staying safe.

Photography is down to the camera I'm afraid - all I do is aim the thing!

Coming to the end of the linkages now - it has been tedious at times and I'm not highly motivated at the moment despite the end getting closer but I'll keep going now. Too close not too give in now though  :)

Look after yourself - hopefully we'll get together at Forncett  next year if things improve

Regards - Tug

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #445 on: October 16, 2020, 11:32:33 AM »
Hi Ramon, those linkages really are a marvel.  I can’t imagine what it was like to design them in the days before CAD.  You have been on a marathon to make them all so accurately.  No room for sloppy joints there.

I can see why the engine has to be so large.  Enjoying watching every step.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #446 on: October 16, 2020, 02:43:22 PM »
Still following along Ramon. As usual the work is first rate. Your attention to detail is second to none. This is where the Craftsmanship part comes into model building. Yes a link, rod or piece can be simple and made to work but when it's filed, shaped and polished so that even when magnified by the camera it looks like it was made twice as large.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #447 on: October 17, 2020, 08:02:13 PM »
Hi MJM and George - glad to see you here and for the kind comments  :) Yes it has been a bit of a marathon but ....

......  I'm pleased to say that this particular phase is over - the whole trip gear is now finished and basically working as it should. I say basically as it works when the engine is turned by hand but until some air gets pumped in I won't know if it's all in phase - think positive I keep reminding myself  :D

Apologies for what seems like repetitive images but I assure you they show an advance on those previous

LP Cylinder finalised. Those studs on the steam chest are all going to have to come out to be shortened ::)

And the HP cylinder. If I turn it  by hand fast enough the governor does change the point of trip so it does look promising. The trips are in reasonable synch on both cylinders but theres still quite a bit of tweaking to do I'm sure.

Getting the steam chests studded and fitted is next then I'm going to turn to something I've been looking forwards to for some reason - machining the handrail stanchions.

That's it for this week

Thanks for looking in

From 'tha ol shid then'

'Ol Tug'

Offline kvom

« Reply #448 on: October 17, 2020, 11:37:23 PM »
The bottom photo shows the linkage between the governor and the pivot that adjusts the cutoff on the HP cylinder.  Is there a linkage to the same pivot on the HP cylinder?  It's hard to see from the top photo what's going on at that point.

Nice to see it come together.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #449 on: October 18, 2020, 06:13:54 AM »
Tug,
Just a quick note to say I'm following along and that is an awesome looking engine!  Love all those studs and that complex linkage!  Can't wait to see it all work :)
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal