Author Topic: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project  (Read 92462 times)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project
« Reply #420 on: September 15, 2020, 08:53:24 PM »
Great to see that you got a desire to continue a bit more on this build Ramon  :cheers:
And the parts are up to your usual standard  :ThumbsUp:

Say hello to Sue and take care.

Per

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #421 on: September 16, 2020, 09:08:19 AM »
Hi Per - yes I think I've surprised myself with how much I've enjoyed picking it up again. Novelty hasn't worn off yet so theres still a bit more to come - who knows it might even get finished  ;D

Good to hear from you, how's that new mill going?

Hope you are well, we are still ticking over nicely despite the restrictions.

Sue sends her regards too,

All the best - Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #422 on: September 16, 2020, 11:37:15 AM »
Great to hear that you enjoy making parts again  :cheers:

I'm sure that the mill is doing fine, though it might be a bit bored as I only had found time to correct the T-Nuts for it and repairing some parts for my Off-Roader winter bike so far ...
But I have promished myself that the first model engine part done on it will be the piston pin hole and weight reducing milling internal to it, for a new Viking (and the old one too)  so I can get it to run as it should.

I'm doing fine, if rather busy with (as usual) way too many projects and unfortunately with higher priority than model engines ....

Thank you to you both and best wishes

Per

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #423 on: September 22, 2020, 11:01:22 PM »
Hi Per, I shall look forwards to that Viking in due course  ;)

I've been picking away at the trip gear parts - all milled from cast iron and small amouts of JBW to give the odd fillet here and there.

Though I have found the drawings to be good overall there are some slight discrepancies in this area but with some careful jiggling and countless take aparts and reassmblies I'm getting there.

Here are a couple of pics of state of play as of this evening

The HP valve rocker is finally linked up which served to highlight the fact that any adjustment finer than half the thread pitch is out of the question. A 5BA LH tap and die is on order to rectify this situation.

The exhaust linkage had to be rearranged for clearance on the inlet linkage. New pins are required hence the loose parts

One of the things I overlooked when changing the steam stop valve to top mounted as opposed to floor standing was the bracket for the govenor linkage. I think I can get away with this by putting a spacer underneath the valve.

That's the latest - still the inlet valves and spindles to deal with plus more linkages  ::)

Regards - Tug

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #424 on: September 22, 2020, 11:24:54 PM »
Great progress and beautiful work Tug!
Your photos are stunning!
Thanks for the updates.

Dave

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #425 on: September 25, 2020, 11:44:32 PM »
Tug
This is all good to see and it provides more inspiration and encouragement for me to keep going with my engine.

All the extra detail you've added really shows in these pictures.

David
Don't die wondering!

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #426 on: September 26, 2020, 08:57:53 AM »
Exquisite :praise2: :popcorn: :popcorn:     Terry

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #427 on: September 28, 2020, 10:44:35 AM »
Dave, David and Terry - thanks for looking in  :ThumbsUp:

Photos are more by luck than judgement Dave - Nikon Coolpix does the work I just press the button ::)

David - I've enjoyed doing the odd bit of personalisation so I'm glad to hear it's apparent  :) Still working on the 'gear' parts - slow and at times a mite tedious but it's slowly getting there. Making the linkage to the valve rocker arm with L and R threads made a huge improvement in adjustability over that as drawn. I shall do the same on the governor linkage - in fact that's what I'm about to go and do on this damp and cold morning  - the 'ole shid' is the only place to be on such a day  ;D

Regards - Tug

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #428 on: September 30, 2020, 11:42:15 AM »
Glad to see you back on this one  :)  :)  :wine1: Lots of fidley bits for the valve gear  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #429 on: October 05, 2020, 10:19:53 PM »
Hello Roger - thanks for looking in  :ThumbsUp:

'Fidley bits' ? well you could say that I guess  ::)

Here's the latest update as of tonight - quite a bit done this last week or so but doesn't look much once in place. Getting there though - soon be working on the inlet valve gear.

All the cylinder heads have now had the studs fitted and a start on the pipework made. The pipework was not soldered but assembled with a liberal coating of JBWeld on all joints. Based on the tests done on the Wide a Wake build I'm quite confident this will more than live up to the stresses involved. Using JBW and doing it this way meant it could be done in situ rather than having to make a jig to keep all parts in line while soldering.

Still a lot of small parts to make but it's getting closer to the point of it all - will it run ?

Glad tidings to all who look in

'Tha's it fer ter nite'

Regards - Tug

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #430 on: October 05, 2020, 10:37:59 PM »
Wow... this is just amazing!

:LittleAngel:

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #431 on: October 05, 2020, 11:01:37 PM »
Hi Tug,
I think that "the odd bit of personalisation" is a serious understatement! You've made a lot of improvements to the look of the design, if you hadn't "personalised" it would have been finished decades ago  :). In the picture looking towards the air pump I can't see the "atmospheric exhaust valve" anywhere; have you chosen to omit this? For an engine that will only run on air it doesn't look to have any real purpose and apart from that I still haven't worked out the correct assembly arrangement from the drawings.

David
Don't die wondering!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #432 on: October 06, 2020, 12:00:03 PM »
Ah, you had me going there for a moment David - Atmospheric exhaust valve? What's that then? :D Had to get the original dyeline prints out to find it (I've been working to tiled photo copies in order to protect them from the light).

Having looked at it it would be under the base anyway so will omit it. Though the condenser/airpump is made to print and could function if required I have removed the springs as previously mentioned so it is, for all intents and purposes, a dummy. To that effect, though there is material available to couple it up correctly (should whoever owns it after I'm long gone desire to do so) I have brought the exhaust out from the LP cylinder directly. Seemed no point in making it find its way all through the condenser and associated pipework. My 'Atmospheric Exhaust Valve' is therefore a piece of thick walled silicone tubing  ;)

With no assembly drawing I assume this valve would work by the exhaust pressure holding the valve to 'close to atmosphere' position and be opened by the lever to 'open to atmosphere' which is held back by the catch.

A late start today but now off to begin those inlet valve parts

Regards - Tug

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #433 on: October 11, 2020, 10:45:29 PM »
Hi Guys,

Just a quick post to say I now have the inlet valves fitted and the LP cylinder ones working - just the trip gear linkage to do to finish that cylinder off  :)

Most of the threaded parts required shortening from drawn dimensions which made for several assembly and dis-assemblies. One thing I have found out David (DT) is that the trip bars work perfectly well by gravity  :ThumbsUp: - you do really need a right and left hand threaded coupling to the rockers though and I'm sure that the drop links for the trip gear will really benefit from that facility too. I was able to 'run' the engine by hand power and ascertain the trip gear works well by holding it in place - only thing I'm a little unsure on is the actual amount the valves open. The only way I can see to improve that is to increase the throw of the rocker slightly

It won't be that long before finding out if the short opening will have a detrimental effect. I was hoping that this engine would run on quite low pressure but now thinking that possibly that may not quite be the case.

That's it for tonight, hopefully the HP cylinder will soon reach the same stage and those trip links can be tackled

Hope that's of interest

Regards for now - Tug

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #434 on: October 12, 2020, 12:12:33 PM »
Hi Tug,
Thanks for the reassurance re the links dropping, it's as well this engine doesn't have to fly inverted, it wouldn't be any good in a control liner ;D.

Those rounded-off valve links look far better than the original design!

After a lot of fiddling around in Alibre I have found some link lengths that look to get the valves almost fully open, they should stay there until tripped - diagrams sent in a PM. If the measurements turn out to be close to correct I'll post them later in my own build.

David
Don't die wondering!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal