Author Topic: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project  (Read 94343 times)

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
Re: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project
« Reply #390 on: December 22, 2019, 01:32:39 AM »
its been a great build and I've enjoyed it very much....maybe we can hope for some poor flying weather so we can see some more installments :)

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #391 on: December 22, 2019, 09:22:04 AM »
Hi Tug, It's good to see you back!

It's a shame we couldn't meet at Forncett but if the rain around your area was anything like the wall of water I drove into near Thetford on the way from Cambridge then I can understand you staying at home.

I'm particularly glad to see you active on this thread again as I'm sure I'm going to need advice on what to do with the pile of bits on my workbench right now:

I'll start a new build thread for this lot soon, right now we're away from home until after Christmas.

All the best for Christmas and for 2020 to you and everyone on MEM

David

Don't die wondering!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #392 on: December 22, 2019, 04:12:56 PM »
Hey Tug

Please share the link to the YouTube video of you flying one of your planes, I would love to see it.  ;)

Dave

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #393 on: December 22, 2019, 06:20:18 PM »
I'm so glad to hear that you really enjoyed flying again  :whoohoo:

So one can say that the friend who asked you to fly his plane / engine  :noidea: (my bad memory) some weeks before John and I visited Sue and you, had a positive influence on your desire to "be a part of the circle again", so to speak  :cheers:

One can also argue that with all the nice work you already has put into this engine, it would be a bit of a shame if you didn't complete it - so it is also nice to hear that you feel like continue the build here again  :)

Best wishes and a nice Xmas + please great Sue too.

Per

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #394 on: December 23, 2019, 09:50:25 AM »
Morning guys - thanks for taking the time to respond - good to hear from you  :)

I can't say I'm 'back' exactly though it's nice to hear you think I might be  ;) - No, it's just an update on where things stand at present but I do intend to get back on the Corliss asap this coming year

David - glad to see you made it home safely with your set - did that all go as hand baggage  :Lol: Given that super outcome with the Mastiff I don't think you'll need too much advice - I'll look forward to you starting yours in due course. Sorry we missed you but we made our minds not to attend Forncett on the Friday due to the weather warning. We have had to have our car extricated from the mud there before so prudence came before valour. Phoning Bill to explain our apologies we worked out I'd missed three in twenty seven events so felt a break could justifiably taken without loss of conscience  ;)

Dave - I don't have any videos and next years flying seems a way off - I can show you though what has just returned to the fold so to speak.....

I built this about twenty years ago - it's a 56" wingspan Bob Palmer designed Thunderbird Mk2. It was built from a plan from scratch. Powered by a Super Tigre G21/46 7cc glow motor and tissue covered. It is a fine flying model and was the last model I flew in competition. This pic was taken just before I sold it just over a year ago.

I built this one, again from a plan, around 2010. I never flew this one and though I never regretted selling them I found myself wishing I had done. Little did I know that wish would be granted. It's a slightly smaller model powered by an OS35S glow motor and again tissue covered. I sold this in 2015 (and the one above) to a friend from Holland - Gerben.

As said - quite out of the blue these models are now back in their hangar thanks to Gerben's incredible generosity and kindness.  When I told him I was flying again and intended to make another Pinnacle he immediately said he would return this one. On arrival the Thunderbird was in his car too :o. Both as pristine as when they left I am really looking forwards to flying these models next year - the conditions have just not been right since receiving them. Needless to say I am still overwhelmed by Gerbens considerate action.

And so Per - you are so right - thanks to the friendship of others I have found myself doing something that I have always loved but had thought was truly dead. Just goes to show one should 'never say never'  ::) You are also right in that far too much has been put into the Corliss to let it languish so maybe this will be my New Years resolution ;)

So, on that note, the images above are to be the last - of a none Corliss nature - on this thread. Hopefully the next will be far more topical

Regards to all who have looked in afresh and my thanks for those replying - may you all have a great Xmas break

Back in the New Year - Ol Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #395 on: December 23, 2019, 01:37:40 PM »
Nice looking models. I can see why you're happy to have them back in your life. I flew some control line back in my youth.

I always enjoy these little side tips once in a while in build threads.  :)

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #396 on: August 23, 2020, 11:21:01 PM »
Well guys, it's been a long time coming but as promised "the next pics will be far more topical"

The last few months have seen little interest in machining due to a variety of non modelling factors but about a month ago a flicker of interest saw the wraps come off. I'm afraid I took no in progress images but heres a few of the current stage

I began by making all the valves from bronze to see how things would go and the engine now has its main working parts done and fitted. The bronze pistons have been fitted with PTFE impregnated packing for a friction free but excellent seal and the glands with graphited yarn.  I decided not to pack the pump piston as this is a non working item anyway and after turning it over a few times removed the springs on the valves due to the 'farting' sound at each end of the stroke :o

The cross head was tackled next with the bars machined from UHB11 steel (ex works, a lovely stress free  material that has the property of not moving no matter how much material is removed) ) and draw filed and emeried to dimension. The slides are cast iron - the dummy oil boxes serve as means to prevent the crosshead pin working it's way out

After considering the amount of interupted cutting to be tackled the con rod is composite - a 'machined from one piece' big end and rod with the little end machined from solid (EN1a)

The bearing parts are made from manganese bronze - two attempts at this due to the solder joint breaking as I reamed it. Second one was bored to size to prevent that recuring

The little end has a 25 mm x 6.35 spigot that is loctited into a hole reamed in the end of the rod with the joint line at the boss Carefully set up to ensure squareness of alignment once the loctite had cured the join was then reinforced with two 3mm dia steel pins set in from underneath.

Finally all the linkage to the exhaust valves are finished and fitted and working smoothly.

Well that's it up to date. I wouldn't say I'm 'back on this again' per se as I find myself with a much shorter attention span on anything these days so we'll just have to see what happens next

As usual I hope that's of interest to those who have been following along.

Regards from tha ol shid

Ol Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #397 on: August 23, 2020, 11:54:14 PM »
Just beautiful.

Great photos too.

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #398 on: August 24, 2020, 12:06:03 AM »
Outstanding workmanship! It's going to be a great engine.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #399 on: August 24, 2020, 12:45:10 AM »
Nice to see you back at it Ramon.

Vince

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #400 on: August 24, 2020, 12:58:04 AM »
Hi Tug,
Thanks for the pictures, it's good to see your progress. Now I really need to get on with my version!
David
Don't die wondering!

Offline kvom

« Reply #401 on: August 24, 2020, 12:46:15 PM »
Gorgeous.  :ThumbsUp:

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #402 on: August 24, 2020, 04:16:33 PM »
Hi Ramon,
good to see this impressive progress.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #403 on: August 24, 2020, 06:50:32 PM »
Great to see it and hear from you again Tug - I almost felt that I was back in 'tha ol shid' again (a year later) and have a glimpse some of all your treasures  :ThumbsUp:

I hope both you and Sue are doing well - best wishes

Per

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #404 on: August 24, 2020, 07:48:17 PM »
Fabulous work!
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal