Author Topic: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project  (Read 92423 times)

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
Re: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project
« Reply #360 on: June 28, 2018, 12:37:30 PM »
If you do decide to check out Ubuntu I'll be interested to hear what you think. Their website allows you to download the operating system and burn it on to a CD for an initial trial by booting from the CD rather than installing it on your hard drive in the first instance. If you like it you can then of course go back and download it on to your hard drive. At that stage you have the option of getting rid of Windows altogether or installing Ubuntu in a separate partition alongside Windows in a dual-boot system. I'm no techie either but in fact it's all very easy, and I'd recommend it to anyone to try. Don't worry, though - I'm not messianic about PC operating systems and will not labour the point further  :)

Thanks re the boiler - I remain upbeat!

Enjoy the boat  :)

gary

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #361 on: June 29, 2018, 08:14:29 AM »
Thanks Gary I'll let you know in due course.

Well, every thing is back in place as before the strip down and working nice and smoothly :) but it'll be a day or three before I get back on it....

The next major challenge is to do the lagging of the cylinders. That might sound a bit cart before the horse but the intention is to lag this with shim steel banded with brass angle. I don't fancy tapping 14 BA holes in the cast and there's not enough room for tapped inserts as on the D10 in the WaW. The lagging then, will have to be a (semi) permanent fixture held with 1/32 brass rivets so needs to be fitted first. I'm hoping to do each cylinder side as 'one piece' and if so the valve side will require quite a bit of machining. I've been loaned one of those small bench roller/bender/guillotine tools - it's the latter function required the most. The shim steel is tempered so relatively easy to cut and drill and and after many years languishing under the bench waiting for the right moment a small heat treatment oven has finally seen light of day. A gift from a well missed friend it's a bit 'Heath Robinson-ish' on it's electrics but it does work. Early test pieces show a nice blue grey colour is fairly easy to produce - hopefully the finished parts will be the same.  More on this later.

I really need to get this done before I can bolt the cylinders down - don't want to be removing them a second time - so this will slow progress down for a while but I'll keep you posted on progress.

Regards for now - Ol Tug

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline kvom

« Reply #362 on: June 29, 2018, 12:44:56 PM »
After all the work on the eccentrics you can't see those little nuts anymore.  Sad!  :'(

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #363 on: June 29, 2018, 02:17:49 PM »
Beautiful work!

I look forward to watching it develop, and to learning from that.

gary

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #364 on: June 29, 2018, 10:59:39 PM »
Hi Kvom - after your post I did have to go check see. Yep they are visible but only just ;)

Nice to see you looking in Gary  - glad you had a good result  :ThumbsUp:.

Nothing done today due to a slight distraction  ;) Had to get the new boat ready for a whizz up the pond tomorrow ;)

For those who like to know about such things it's class is a 10 Rater. Built, I would guess, about the mid sixties the actual design (at this stage) is unknown. With a overall length of 72" it has recently been restored from what appears to be a previous restoration but the original build is just superb. Built on the 'bread and butter' system the hull has been carved out inside to no more than 4-5mm thickness. Not sure about the timber but it looks like a smooth pine - Sugar pine perhaps?  Spent the day re-rigging the running rigging to how I prefer it, I cant wait to see it on the water tomorrow.

Sue's model, a 50" long 'Marblehead' is not quite as old but a nice build none the less - obviously we bought both these boats from previous owners.

We haven't been to sail for quite a few months so looking forwards to it - back on the engine later then ;)

As you can see it really is "Regards from 'tha ol shid' "

Have a good'un ya hear - Ol Tug

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #365 on: June 30, 2018, 12:05:36 AM »
 Wonderful photos. Always nice to see a personal touch.  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online sco

« Reply #366 on: June 30, 2018, 09:11:11 AM »
Wow - they look beautiful Tug!

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #367 on: June 30, 2018, 09:42:42 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: Thanks.

Looks like a very nice life to me!   :)

gary

Offline Larry Sw

« Reply #368 on: June 30, 2018, 02:48:11 PM »
Just need to put some wings on those keels.
Probably wouldn't "Rate" anymore though.   :(
It looks as though a small child could actually sail either of those.   8)

Larry

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #369 on: June 30, 2018, 07:54:23 PM »
Tug, what a beautiful boat. Now, being quite uneducated on these types of vessels; are the sails RC controlled? Also, you said something about carved: as in, is this hull carved out of a solid piece?  Also it appears as if you have quite a short, but, really beautiful commute to the ol’ shid  :ThumbsUp:. And finally (drum roll) : where in the world did you find that pretty young lassie with the almost cowboy hat, to play with you and your boats  :lolb: :Jester: :cheers:. Hope y’all took video of the maiden voyage  :stir:.

Whiskey

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #370 on: June 30, 2018, 11:08:58 PM »
Hi Guys - thanks for looking in  :ThumbsUp:

We've both had a really enjoyable but very tiring day - it's amazing just how much you walk up and down the pond with these boats. It's been some eighteen months since we sailed (raced) on a weekly basis but neither of us feel we could go back to that routine again. That said it's been nice to see all the guys again and catch up. My friend Colin brought his big A rater - a bit longer and much beamier and heavier but reasonably matched so we had some good friendly racing in a fair but fickle breeze which made for interesting but very variable sailing speeds. Sorry Whiskey - I did take the camera but so engrossed with sailing and talking (probably not in that order  ;D) I completely forgot about it  ::)

The boat performed better than hoped for - handled very easily and turned better than expected. This boat was built in the sixties and was designed for vane sailing - the kind of rudder and fin/skeg usually fitted to those designs not always as effective under radio control as the usual all moving rudders are.

There are two independent controls Eric, rudder and sails. The two sails are connected to a winch and both operate in unison.

The hull is made from layers of uniform thickness planks - about an inch thick in this case. These planks are cut to a wide outer and inner profile 'slab' then glued on top of each other to form the basic hull The outside is then shaped then the inside carved away to leave a minimum thickness throughout the entire hull. An old way of making such a hull it's a labour of love by any means and this one was done superbly - whoever made it originally certainly was a skilful craftsman. Time and timber must have been much cheaper then!

Yep - don't take long to get out to the shid  :) The area in front of it is the last area of the garden requiring major attention but that is definitely not on the cards for this year  ;D

Well, that's it for a short diversion, though perhaps maybe not quite.  Some may have seen ref elsewhere to trying to find an old photo of a pair of oscillators I made years back. Not much luck there but during the root out up the loft I did come across this ....

Occasion is the launch of the beam trawler Suffolk Mariner at Richards Shipyard at Lowestoft circa 1961. Yep that's yours truly, sixteen years old, newly apprenticed and having to endure the ignominy, as all apprentices had to, of presenting the bouquet to the launch Mistress. A young WREN, her name was Susan Frith - (how's that for a 'short' memory and no it's not written on the back  :D) Note the lack of any suitable wear - a shipyard in those days was a rum old place to work especially in winter as I'm sure there are some on here who could confirm and work-wear  wasn't even invented - well not on Richards it wasn't!
Wearing my mentors old army BD jacket was an omen though for by seventeen and a half I had relinquished my apprenticeship and joined Airborne Forces. Six months later I was camped on Hudson Bay at Fort Churchill in the January - wouldn't have found anything to beat that on the shipyard  that's for sure ;)

Apologies for the nostalgia trip - normal service will be resumed quite soon  :D

Dew yu hev a gud week-en now

Ol - Tug

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #371 on: July 11, 2018, 08:20:58 PM »
Excellent work on the flywheel cladding  :praise2:  :praise2: I think that there should be a video at the end of post 341 but all I see is a blank space  :headscratch: (IE11).

Glad you got some sailing in  :) Make the best of the UK summer  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #372 on: July 11, 2018, 10:26:51 PM »
Hello Roger - thanks for looking in and the kind comments  :)

I can't explain the loss of video at your end - I have just checked and it's there and accessible on this computer  :headscratch:

Yes it was good to get a boat on the water again and hopefully it won't be as long before the next time but I don't think I'll go back to the weekly racing routine - that's just too much commitment now.

The engine's on hold for a bit - still not convinced my idea for going about the cylinder cleading is sound so am mulling things over - considering my options you could say  ;D

Regards - Tug

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #373 on: July 12, 2018, 11:01:10 AM »
Beautiful build as usual from you Ramon  :praise2:

Some of the videos will not show in Internet Explorer 11 and that is in all posts, not just this one, but works fine in Chrome.

It has something to do with how it is posted / stored - but I haven't looked into the details - just noticed that pages here with blank areas where I ekspert a video => copy the full address line above into Chrome and the video is there and can be played. I hope this helps a bit.

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #374 on: August 02, 2018, 09:22:08 PM »
Hi Ramon -

just read this thread right through.

It's an epic voyage, studded with gems!

I'll be delighted if I ever do work that's a hundredth as good as yours   :)

All the Best,

gary

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal