Author Topic: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project  (Read 92411 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Re: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project
« Reply #240 on: March 16, 2018, 10:48:32 PM »
Hi guys - thanks for all those good wishes - these things kinda sneak up on you don't they  ::)

Willy - now wouldn't that be great if we could take a wander through that page. Is that an original catalogue or a reprint? If it's the latter any idea where I might get one. I have a few - Bellis's, Mumford's and E.S. Hindley's. All reprints and bought at Forncett and other museums.

Here's a couple of pics as promised. Apart from the actual linking up of all the underneath pipework once the cylinders are in place there's no more work underneath to do.

The drain shut off valve is directly into the exhaust leading from the condensor. The valve is operated from the outside via the coupling. The cheese head screw does nothing save fill a hole. The hole was drilled right through  :facepalm:

The four pipes from the bedplate come through the base and will connect to the manifold using flexible pipe.  Hard plumbing was out as I did not want large holes in the base on the topside in order to get pipe unions through.

Once every thing is installed topside the pipework will be fitted/sealed using JBW

The valve will be operated using a screwdriver/key.

And yes Whiskey there was finally a dry spot for time to get some primer on ;)

That doesn't seem much for the input which has seemed to go on and on. Last couple of days was definitely one forward and three back kind of situation but now at least the engine can begin to be put together as a final assembly.

No chance now of anything for the rest of the weekend so y'all have a good one as someone might say as I certainly will  :cheers:

Regards - Tug

PS Whiskey - PM read - will comeback to you after the weekend :ThumbsUp:
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #241 on: March 17, 2018, 01:06:36 AM »
Hi Tug, yes it is original from Barnards Ltd Drawing office Norwich !! Oh and i like the way the screws slots are arranged , and i have just learnt that you can hold a hexagon bar concentric in a SC 4 jaw chuck.....I wish someone had told me 60 years ago !!! Also when the Marshall cat came out coal was 10 shillings a ton !!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 01:29:21 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #242 on: March 17, 2018, 08:50:06 AM »
Looking Good  :ThumbsUp:....and I love that shot of the workshop.     Terry

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #243 on: March 17, 2018, 09:22:04 AM »
That looks a nice shade of green, can't wait to see it on the rest of the engine.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #244 on: March 20, 2018, 08:00:48 PM »
Hi Tug,
That wooden base is superb. The clean, brass bosses really look nice as does the entire layout.

This is a wonderful build.

John

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #245 on: March 21, 2018, 08:15:19 AM »
Morning guys, thanks for looking in.

Willy - maybe you could bring that catalogue to Forncett if you wouldn't mind - I'd love to have a look at it. I too have only recently seen how to hold hex in a SC 4 jaw - I think it was a post on here somewhere. Works a treat as I used the idea several times on the brass bits just done.
'Ten shillings a ton' - Ha! I went to post a letter the other day - second class. Gave the woman a pound and didn't even get 'ten shillings worth' of change  :o - Inflation eh ::)

Jason - Finally managed to get some paint on the cast parts yesterday - no pics as I want to get the masking off first. I'm still not too sure about the shade of green but it is growing on me  :)

Thanks for your comments John - the feeling is entirely mutual as I'm really enjoying what you are doing too  :ThumbsUp:

Will try to get some pics later but I'm off out this morning with probably garden later.

Tug

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #246 on: March 21, 2018, 12:36:18 PM »
Looking fantastic, the base itself is a work of art  :)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #247 on: March 26, 2018, 09:43:09 AM »
Morning Guys  :)

Thanks for looking in Peter, glad you're liking it  :ThumbsUp:

Well at last there's a decent amount of paint on and rebuilding can begin. A slight interlude over the weekend when a phone call on Friday informed that Sunday was the only opportunity to get the Wide a Wake's boiler tested  :o I didn't expect that to come round quite so soon.

Anyway it was nice to get it out of storage and give it a clean and prep it for the test. It passed without a hitch and I did actually sail it for a bit - even took a bit of video so maybe put that up later.

Here it is on the bench after cleaning up and somewhat dwarfing the Corliss

The green is growing on me - I'm beginning to like it and think it will improve in appearance as the steel parts get added.

I'm intending to lag the cylinders but they will get a coat of paint on their feet a bit later

There's a lot of 'small stuff' to do as the rebuild begins - things like getting studs made, shortening bolts etc and that is going to take a while especially as at last the weather seems to have improved. I have an inordinate amount of catching up to do in the garden so this is going to be my last post for a while. Next big thing to tackle will be boarding in the flywheel so I'll be back once that starts.

In the meantime - have a good spring and enjoy yourselves

"Y'all have a good time ya'hear"

Regards from tha ol shid - Tug

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #248 on: March 28, 2018, 07:51:52 PM »
Yo Dude  8), quite the instrument fitter you are; the piping is spot on. The old gal (Wide Awake) looks really regal sitting in dry (video of the short run :shrug:) I’m really hoping that green grows on me. I like the John Deere and Oliver green; this one isn’t as “green” BTW, there is a wee bit of sawdust by the scroll saw: shame on you  :lolb: :lolb: :lolb:. Keep your cords out of walkways now you hear  8)

Whiskey

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #249 on: March 28, 2018, 08:01:10 PM »
I kinda like that green, looks like the light green that used to be in our old factories, fits the machine.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Online sco

« Reply #250 on: March 28, 2018, 08:53:26 PM »
Me too - not usually a fan of green - but it looks 'right' somehow  :ThumbsUp:

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #251 on: March 29, 2018, 01:08:37 AM »
It all looks great to me. The base is very well thought out and executed. Still watching along.

Bill

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #252 on: March 31, 2018, 04:27:57 PM »
Thanks for looking in guys, the green looks a bit paler in the pics than on the bench. I was hoping for something more sage like in tone - the label gave that impression but it didn't turn out quite as expected. I'll live with it now though :)

Nothing further to report other than I think I have come up with a way to make the boards for the flywheel - it'll be a while yet though before I can find the time to spend on that.

Regards for now - Tug

Offline rarach22

« Reply #253 on: March 31, 2018, 10:42:28 PM »
beautiful model ...... the drive will be compressed air? coal? gas?......

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #254 on: April 01, 2018, 09:05:41 AM »
Hello Pavel - thank you for looking in.

The model will only be run on air - and due to it's size will probably only be displayed a couple of times a year. I used to run a Twin Victoria on steam for many years at a local event until the gas cylinder was forgotten one year. Running on air made me realise just how tied you are to an engine whilst on steam so never did do that afterwards. I do admire your passion for doing it 'the right way' though  :ThumbsUp:

Regards - Tug

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal