Author Topic: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project  (Read 94406 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Re: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2018, 09:37:45 AM »
Wow David 41C now that is warm.

The weather yesterday was miserable, good old east anglian 'mizzle' and 'clag'. Hasn't dampened the spirits though and today the sun is out so I'm off for a day in the shed.

Glad you have some drawings to peruse - I had a call from Robin who bought the flywheel at Forncett - he's been talking to Terry Fleet and I've pointed him in Bob's direction - he has ideas of making a version too.

Yep, another one knocked off Whiskey, who'd a thought it a few years back in more manic times - makin' 73 that is  :Lol:
Hope y'all well over there.

Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2018, 09:50:32 AM »
Aggghhhh - I've just sat here and done half a post only to hit the wrong tab at the top and lost the bloody lot  - aggghhhh double bloody aagggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Hello guys - hows it going  ;)

Well I'm happy to say I'm near back to normal and have finally had some decent time in the old shed :). I began by turning that piece of En1a into a length of 6mm walled tube. That dirty swarf covered blob on the tool is a lump of sticky blue tack set there to take the resonance out of the tool. It doesn't always work but on this occasion it did. It won't stop real chatter but it helps and in this instance took out the ringing and the fine chatter marks that had resulted.

The end caps were turned from slices of the same material. The unimportant radius on the ends was formed by a series of angular cuts and finishing by file.

The ends have bores set eccentrically so first off was to machine a fixture plate the same as that used for doing the eccentrics. The slot on the left side is only a few mm deep to receive a locating peg screwed into the end cap

Offset the required 2.4mm the bores were turned to depth and size less .5mm. The front register is for an insert to be JB Welded into place later.

Ready to 'weld' up

With the insert JBW'd into place the parts were set back up for facing and finish turning the bores to size and depth as well as drilling and tapping of the 8BA bolt holes.

The caps were held in place with the original screws and two new tapped holes put in which will eventually hold the feet in place. Held by screws in these holes the original screw holes were machined away as the transfer passage from the end cavity to the sump was milled in.

And finally the parts as of this morning.

The lower face of the sump has been milled at an angle to allow any condensate/oil that may collect to drain into the outlet.

Next up are the feet and the inner bronze bore - more on that as and when

Willy - if you are reading this have decided not to make the journey on Saturday - still don't feel up to it. Have a good day yourself though :ThumbsUp:

That's it for now then -

Have some good modelling this year - I'm certainly intending too ;)

From tha ol shid - 'Ole Tug'

Oh yes, perhaps I should add ... Having mastered the new skill of removing the lens cap (see Zee's thread on cameras ::)) all but the first two pics were taken on the new camera - a real little gem despite it's initial 'difficulty' ;)

Online sco

« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2018, 12:14:14 PM »
Looking great Tug!

And the Blu-tac trick has been filed away for future reference  ;D

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2018, 04:08:18 PM »
Hi Tug, Sorry to hear this ... will tell Barry Fayne...

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2018, 06:05:37 PM »
Thanks Willy but I have spoke with Barry and Roger - all's in order  ;)

'Dew you av a gud dey now'  :D

Simon that's an oldie shown to me long ago by a guy called Arthur Grey. Best guy I ever had the pleasure of working with and an exceptionally good turner. Long gone and sadly missed.

Tug
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:09:28 PM by Ramon »

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2018, 10:43:09 PM »
Hi guys,

A few more pics of the air pump progress - actually I suppose it should really be called the condenser as that's what it is - it just has an integral 'air' pump  :headscratch:

The feet were milled as a pair. The boring head, still set from doing the ends of the sump was used to mill a radius to match the body then the slot for the sump removed. Incidentally the feet came out of 16mm thick En1a so that new Banggood cutter was pressed into service to reduce it to 13mm. Worked very well at 1mm cuts and 1300 rpm leaving a good surface finish that cleaned up easily with a file.

Next was to machine the bronze bore - no problems here, lovely piece of cast gunmetal with plenty to come off. After taking a skim to establish roundness I drilled the holes first so that any burrs would be thrown into the holes and not into the bore.

I still needed to debur the holes on the finished bore so made a small countersink that was Loctited to a 3mm caphead screw.

Inserted using tweezers it could then gripped in a pin chuck to do it's stuff inside

The parts count ready for 'welding' up.....

.... and, as of tonight the main structure is together.

Well I hope that's of interest to someone - no ones saying much so I can only assume it might be.

Tomorrow should see those feet on and the internals done though if the weather is like it was today  then there'll be some time lost to the garden!

Oh yes - talking of garden - we finally ventured out there this afternoon to get to grip with the leaves. Look what Sue found close by the compost heap. Looks like the gales we had the other night did the trick  ;D Rather distressed it's now duly returned to owner

That's it from tha ol shid tonight - Tug

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2018, 11:07:25 PM »
Clever way to do the deburr.

As for the copter, should have filled some of the tubes with brass before returning it!   :LittleDevil:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2018, 11:37:28 PM »
I've only not said much because I've gotten to the point that 'a' I often struggle to even know what's going on and 'b' I struggle to know what to say.
I read a lot. And enjoy everything from everybody.
I wish I could say/ask more.

Having said that...I'd like to know more about making that countersink and loctiting it to a caphead screw. How?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2018, 12:41:29 AM »
Hi Ramon,
I'm still here and still following - the drawings make more sense when I've seen the metal! I've been distracted from metalworking by Father Christmas bringing me a 3D printer kit. This is now working but still providing many "learning opportunities" and things that can be improved.
DT
Don't die wondering!

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2018, 07:48:14 AM »
Hi Ramon,

I am another who always reads your posts.  Your projects are always a master class to people at my stage.  Can't have too much detail.  It is another of your wonderful projects.

Thank you for the effort you put into your posts.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2018, 10:33:57 AM »
Morning guys - as always nice to hear from you.

Chris - a small trick but useful. Looking at your Steam Shovel thread though I'm sure you have more than one or two of those up your sleeve yourself  :ThumbsUp:

DT - Distractions - ah David, I'm good at those  ;D Yes I know only too well how easily that can happen but so far I've (mostly) kept on track on this one but that will no doubt change at some stage  ::)

MJM Thanks for your kind comments. I confess I do sometimes feel a tad despondent to think that no one has anything to say as I always try to post as if I'm talking to someone - perhaps that's not how it's received however. Whatever my only reason for posting is to be part of this community and share what small input I do within our hobby with others in the hope that it will be of interest and benefit to some. Comments such as yours then do make the effort (and it can be an effort at times) of posting all worth while. I see what fantastic input you have made in Talking Thermodynamics - I admit I have no academic nor technical knowledge as such to share on such threads but am always happy to make up for it by conveying what practical skills I have.

Zee - it's always good to see you've been looking in and to hear from you :ThumbsUp: - I'm always happy to respond to questions on anything - all it takes is the asking   ;)

The countersink was quite simple to make but unfortunately I don't have any images of it. However, a thousand words instead of a picture might suffice  :D....

It began as a piece of Silver Steel (Drill Rod) in the lathe which was drilled and tapped to match the screw thread (M3 in this case) deep enough to clear the finished length of the cutter.

The angle was then turned on and the  material transferred to the bench vise and held vertically. The teeth were then cut in by hand using a three square needle file, the depth and spacing done by eye.

Back on the lathe the end was parted off and reversed in the three jaw to be counter-bored for the cap head and the thread cleaned up.

Heat treated and quenched in oil but not tempered for maximum hardness it was cleaned of oil then the screw put in with Loctite 638.

I should point out that it isn't necessary to use a cap head - any cheesehead or countersunk screw would do the same but the cap head is of stronger material that the usual steel BA screw

Hope that conveys it well enough and proves of use to you

Now, I'm 'orf to tha ol shid' to fettle that air pump - er condenser and get to grips with the inner bits.

Regards - Tug
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:40:00 AM by Ramon »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2018, 10:47:35 AM »
Thanks! Well described.  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2018, 01:00:38 PM »
Ramon

Dont think that just because nobody comments that we are not interested. That could not be farther from the truth as far as I am concerned.
Keep it coming. I am noting quite a few of your techniques that I will be using on Agnes.

Cheers
Phil

Offline kvom

« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2018, 01:24:54 PM »
That boring bar sticks out a lot further than I'd like, but seems it works.  Do the burrs result from the slight interrupted cut?  Even so, I'd think the piston would remove them after a few minutes of operation.

Will it actually pump air when finished?

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2018, 01:42:49 PM »
Tug,

Great work on a nice engine! One shot above shows a chuck on the Myford that has the ability to have soft jaws. I'd love to have this capability on my as well, who makes this chuck?

Thanks,
Paul

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal