Author Topic: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project  (Read 94532 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2017, 06:32:21 PM »
Hi Bob   :)

First may I say what a lovely guy Peter was, the two of us spent a very nice couple of hours at the A34 service station (he was visiting his mother in law at Salisbury that day) as he handed over my Cross Compound Castings and showed me his Triple Expansion Engine that he was just finishing off  8) My castings are all Iron other than the air pump - it was Peter who talked me out of the larger Corliss engines and having built my four cylinder tandem engine I totally agree with everything that Peter said to me  :ThumbsUp:

I must be honest and admit that I acquired an orphan set of the 6" Southworth steam pump castings last Wednesday, without the drawings :ShakeHead:  but I have a set of the 12" engine which I have been considering scaling down :noidea: I would appreciate a set of the right drawings  ;)

Sadly like you I have seen the cost of having castings done go through the roof the last couple of years so I fear we will all be forced to make out of bar stock shortly: it is not the same  :'(

Jo

P.S. My Air Pump casting from Peter is excellent  :ThumbsUp:
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2017, 06:36:18 PM »
Lovely work Tug, just a most impressive engine!!!

Bill

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2017, 10:42:51 PM »
Hi guys, Thanks as usual for looking in  :ThumbsUp:

I don't have to go far Bertie - haircut in the kitchen then straight out to the workshop ;)

Per, nice to see you here  :) the diesels are original ED 3.46 Hunters, one needing a new spray bar the other just a clean before it's first run for over forty years :o There are two 5 cc versions in the pipeline, cases are done so maybe get on to the rest in the New Year.

Thanks for your kind remarks Bob and for putting the current situation into perspective - I have a feeling you may be hearing from 'Delta Tango' at some stage  ;)

I have the eccentrics fitted and working at last Phil - not sure if the following will help as I'm sure you  will be following full size practice given what you've done so far.

After a lot of thought I decided not to do the eccentrics as drawn for just one reason - that of being able to get a reasonable size nut within the cut out. I considered a two stepped bolt coming in from the back so that the major part would provide the grip and the thinner part the means to fit a smaller nut but trying a suitable sized nut it looked ridiculously out of scale. Besides I really did not want to have to have two gaps in the raised portion that the strap actually rides on. With the fact that I want to display this more as a working model than as one as scale as possible, the opt out to use the conventional, one grub screw fixing, hidden under the strap was easily decided upon.

The strap blanks had been done a while back - two slabs of cast, face and milled square then drilled to take two long fitted studs to keep them in alignment.

These were held on a face plate and bored before mounting on an expanding mandrel to face to thickness. I found this unused mandrel lurking underneath the lathe bench, it must have been there twenty plus years since I made it - at work, along with many others, from scrap bits of steel and hedging against the day when the opportunity would no longer be there. It's the last one :(

Once faced the straps were set back on a small faceplate (a 6 inch disc of MS held in the three jaw) and the groove for the 2mm x 2mm rib cut in.

The eccentrics were turned from EN1a -the ideal wearing combination with cast and the outer diameters cut so that the wearing surface was the outer diameter of the rib. The straps were tested for optimum fit as the final cuts were made

The eccentrics were then held in an ali clamping plate for putting the bore in. By using a clamping plate for this op the correct throw is easily established by setting the clamp bore to run true then introducing a spacer (drill shank) between the clamp and stop to give the throw. (The drill has been removed but the gap can be seen 'tween stop and clamp)

Still in the clamp it was transferred to the R/T for milling the cut out using the same means- first the outer radius against the stop...

... then the second inner radius with the spacer in place

The finished eccentrics with the embryo straps

The straps were set up on another small adapter plate for milling the profiles...

.. .and the side relief

Just realised I still have some more pics  to upload - too late for that tonight so that will have to do - I need that beauty sleep  ;D

Back soon then - sleep tight  :)

Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2017, 11:24:45 PM »
Very well done!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2017, 02:40:36 AM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn:

I'm itching to see the finished rod!! 

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2017, 06:24:53 AM »
Hi Ramon, Great work! Its really good to see this making progress.
The engine is very impressive, it both encourages me to think more about the Corliss as a project and makes the sheer size of the beast obvious.  If I do make one I doubt very much that it will make it anywhere near even the bottom of the stairs at Forncett. Even business class only gives you a 40kg baggage allowance! I'll PM Bob about the drawings.

Happy Christmas! David

Don't die wondering!

Offline kvom

« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2017, 01:14:53 PM »
Is the purpose of the slot to balance the eccentric, or more for elegance?

Many good techniques on display with this thread.   :ThumbsUp:

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2017, 06:52:47 PM »
Just an update from yesterday before shutting down for a couple of days.

Hello David - nice to think you are inspired. It is a big'un but I do think it will be a lovely thing to display once completed so I'm sure you would enjoy making it.

kvom - I have no real idea but a bit of both I guess though given the speed of rotation dampened by such large flywheels at the time it may not have been more for balance but more the means to save on cast iron.

Well here are basically the last of the pics to date

The rods are composite - the rods were cut from 1/4" dia En1a round bar and had one end drilled and reamed 3.5mm and the other turned and threaded 5/32 x 40 tpi as per print.  The palms were also turned from En1a with a 15mm long, 3.5 mm dia spigot that located into the reamed hole and Loctited in place. A dummy centre was made, threaded to match the rod and centred on the reverse end for the tailstock support.

The 0.22' taper was then turned in stages utilising near the full extreme of the topslide travel, particular care take to get good matching when resetting.

Once turned they were finished off using a mill-cut file, emery and wet and 400 dry paper with a final polish with a garryflex block and paraffin.

A simple fixture had been drilled at the same time as the palms were drilled for holding while the palms were milled to width

And finally they were ready to fit

The rocker arms were cut from some round En1a, note they are bushed with bronze which by doing so to as many points where it's possible will help keep friction to a minimum. The pins are from En34 and case hardened with the screw thread an insert Loctited in place so that the thread will fully engage to bring the face of the pin up square to the arm.

The finished rods complete - hope they've lived up to expectation Pete  ;)  The engraved marks are for setting - the crankshaft will have marks engraved at the relevant places according to the drawing

Well that's about it for this side of Christmas guys hope you are getting something from this but if nothing else at least enjoying the journey with me. Time for me to have a couple of days away from 'tha ol shid'

Have a great break now, back soon - Tug

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2017, 10:22:54 PM »
Tug, those rods are beautiful! I see some details there I have filed away for future use. Very lovely...

Merry Christmas!!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2017, 06:19:59 PM »
Merry Christmas to you too Pete - glad there was something there you could use  :ThumbsUp:

Tale from today and no, not from the shid

I have a very tall Leylandi tree at the bottom of the garden. Knock comes on the door this morning. New Neighbour. Sorry to bother you he says but my new R/C helicopter has landed in your garden. There's no lights on the tree, definitely not a fairy on the top but it does now have a bright red helicopter with a red light flashing away - near right on the bloody top too :lolb:

I think I know how some of Boxing Day will be spent  :Lol:

Hope you've all had a good day :cheers:

Tug

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2017, 06:35:54 PM »
.... There's no lights on the tree, definitely not a fairy on the top but it does now have a bright red helicopter with a red light flashing away - near right on the bloody top too :lolb:

I think I know how some of Boxing Day will be spent  :Lol:
Training the squirrel to go fetch the copter?!   :lolb:

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2017, 05:10:16 PM »
Well the squirrels weren't having any of that Chris so Sue and I decamped for Dunwich Forest for a nice walk in winter sunshine.

I did put a double ladder up yesterday but need at least another double one again from the top of that  :ShakeHead: so there it stayed, the red light flashing through the night as a warning to low flying bats.

Now - to better things

The crank was milled from a slab of UHB11 - a nice to machine bolster plate steel that's equivalent to En9. We used this an awful lot where I worked and there were always loads of offcuts - wasn't going anywhere but the skip so scrounging mode was constantly in play ;) The new cutter discussed elsewhere on here performed well leaving a very fine surface despite the look of those marks

The holes were centred on the mill then transfered to the faceplate for drilling, boring and reaming

Back on the mill and R/T for radiusing

Finish milled .....

...and with very little work with a fine file, emery and wet and dry paper ready to fit. This will be a Loctite and pinned assembly as I want to mark the eccentric positions on the crankshaft dead relative to the crankweb's centre line

Well that's fundamentally the current state of play on the machining so far. Here's how it looks as of today.....

The governor parts are working but have a very irritating 'gear meshing' noise even at low rpm. The Gears are ex HPC and I'm reliably informed by fellow engineering colleagues that straight cut gears will always produce this sound. They mesh very freely without binding or backlash but I'm thinking that possibly reducing the driven area of mesh on the pinion may have an effect to the better - any thoughts on that would be welcome. I have found (Ebay) a turntable belt that fits perfectly for the drive belt - the one I fitted to the Waller engine so long ago still working admirably.

Here's a short vid of the 'working parts'
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxf_lbvzpEs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxf_lbvzpEs</a>

Well that's it for now guys - I'm taking a short break from machining for no other reason than I want to break it all down and get that plinth and those bed plates painted before I get too much assembled. I also need to do some work underneath the base to accommodate the differing pipework from that intended.

I can see quite a lot have visited though very few have commented - but if you have found it of interest, rest assured "I will be back:D

Happy New Year to you all

Soynin orfa tha ole shid

'Ole Tug'

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2017, 06:35:04 PM »
All looking very nice Ramon easy to move yet no slop or tight spots.

I wonder if you could swap one of the bevel gears for a nylon or similar plastic whether that would have an effect on the noise. Or can the box at the base of the governor be filled with oil which may dampen things out a bit.

J

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2017, 06:48:06 PM »
A couple of well placed shots from a nice side by side Holland & Holland smooth bore should rectify the ‘copter situation  :mischief:. The build is looking super and you seem to be getting on with the new mill quite handily. I sometimes think a wee bit more gear noise in a model is desired: sounds like it’s real and not a model. Haircut; ha, all I have done is the fuzz trimmed, hair long gone  :lolb:. How do you like that facemill? I have a couple a little larger: the one with inserts for aluminum cuts as smooth as a squids belly and the one with the inserts for steel sounds like it’s going to bash the spindle bearings to Hell   :shrug: .
Sign’n off frum th ol shad 8) ;)  (redneck translation)

Cletus

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2017, 08:28:44 PM »
Fascinating, I admire the work you put into this. And as usual very well executed.

/Björn

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal