Author Topic: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project  (Read 92429 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project
« Reply #345 on: June 27, 2018, 01:16:13 AM »
Beautiful!!

Dave

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #346 on: June 27, 2018, 05:00:47 AM »
The flywheel was a project of it's own. :NotWorthy: :praise2:

Vince

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #347 on: June 27, 2018, 07:03:02 AM »
All coming together very nicely, the light wood goes well with the pale green.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #348 on: June 27, 2018, 08:54:16 AM »
It's a work of art Tug, great stuff  :ThumbsUp:

What was the thinking behind the wood panelling on the flywheels of some large engines ?  I kinda assumed it was a form of streamlining but surely the effect was minimal  :headscratch:

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #349 on: June 27, 2018, 10:00:02 AM »
Hi Guys - thanks for all the valued comments - much appreciated.

Peter - I believe, but am not absolutely certain, that it was mainly done to prevent windage more than having a streamline effect. When you think about it those spokes would displace an awful lot of air once at full chat which would have made for some pretty airy conditions in sometimes quite compact engine rooms. That said there would also be the drag of those spokes so a degree of streamlining would be there anyway. Anyone else have thoughts on this ?

Had a rough old night and feeling bloody rough this morning - only just surfaced. Might only be a summer head cold but I'm getting a bit old not to notice the effect it has  :old:

back soon - a definite 'Ol' Tug today
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #350 on: June 27, 2018, 11:18:50 AM »

Peter - I believe, but am not absolutely certain, that it was mainly done to prevent windage more than having a streamline effect. When you think about it those spokes would displace an awful lot of air once at full chat which would have made for some pretty airy conditions in sometimes quite compact engine rooms. That said there would also be the drag of those spokes so a degree of streamlining would be there anyway. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I guess the windage theory sounds plausible but I can't help but think there must be other reasons ?

I'm really clutching at straws here but could it simple aesthetics play a part, the Victorians built things to look attractive. Maybe it was also to prevent things (people) getting caught in the spokes ?

Well, I did say I was clutching at straws  :headscratch:

Online sco

« Reply #352 on: June 27, 2018, 01:18:06 PM »
Hope you are feeling better soon Tug!

Best wishes,

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #353 on: June 27, 2018, 03:05:59 PM »
Tug,

Take it easy.  Pollen count is really high this year.  Even if you don't normally succumb, it may be adding to your woes.

Get well soon.

Rod

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #354 on: June 27, 2018, 07:43:57 PM »
Tug, the crap you are describing, has hurt me worse this year than ever. I don’t know if’n it’s just super heavy pollen or an act of terrorism  8). I’ve been clogged up so bad, that one minute my teeth are aching and the next, my nose will be running like a maple tap  :facepalm:. I’d offer to send you some Tennessee Whiskey, what for making a hot lemon toddy, but, due to the present political affairs; the tariffs would be atrocious  :lolb: :facepalm:. I’m not being funny here, but, I have found that the best relief I get comes from steam. I go to the big tiled shower in the pool bathhouse and just empty the 55 gallon water heater with no cold water added to the shower head whilst just deep breathing : works for a bit. I hope you get to feeling better: I want more build  :stir: :naughty:  :lolb:  Ask Sue if she needs me to send my mother’s chicken noodle soup recipe: that’s good medicine too  :ThumbsUp:.

Whiskey

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #355 on: June 27, 2018, 08:21:57 PM »
Totally awesome work on the cladding Ramon, a thing of beauty.

Bill

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #356 on: June 27, 2018, 08:41:28 PM »
Hi guys - thanks for the concern  :ThumbsUp:

I don't usually suffer from pollen Rod but I agree it has been bad this year. The rape does give me slightly gritty eyes but nothing more. No, it really isn't anything more than a summer head cold but as you say Whiskey the ol nostrils are running better than a leeky fawcett (that's my 'americano' really coming out  ;D). Must confess though I didn't 'hed orf ta the ol shid' this morning but succumbed to the the ol bed instead  for most of the day::)  Nose has finally stopped but chest is now wheezing like a well flogged horse. I'll mend - I got to - I want to try that new yacht out on Saturday, its one of the few open days when racing isn't the priority and the weather is looking perfect for it ;)

One things for sure Peter I'm not suffering from 'wind'  :lolb:

A good link Jason that really explains it all well. I 'm not sure I've heard of the Cold Harbour mill before, doesn't ring a bell - shame it's right down in Devon - that really is a bit too far to go.

That's just reminded me - a short while back Sue and I took a quick break at one of the Warners hotels near Nottingham. Just before going I read about the Markham Grange Steam Museum so we took a quick trip up to Doncaster to visit. Unfortunately, though it should have been a steaming day the boiler feed was out of commission but it gave me the opportunity to take lots of little 'detail' pics of engine parts as well as some of the engines. They are all still sitting in the small pocket camera and have been quite forgot - I'll get that sorted and pop some pics up - it's a great place to visit :ThumbsUp:

Whiskey - I do love a drop of good old malt at times like this (as well as others of course ;)) but have you heard of or tried 'Yukon Jack'? Now that really does make the system perk up :o. As the label says 'distilled for Hoary nights' it certainly lives up to the hype  :ThumbsUp:

Your post has just popped up Bill, thanks for the kind comments

Time to break open that bottle I do believe  :D

Regards - Tug

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #357 on: June 27, 2018, 09:06:18 PM »
Tug

Pollen is giving me grief this year , the only times I was fre of it was when I w**ked total air con no windows ( banks computer centre ) 12 hours of relief ,only thing I  miss though

Any way try some Glenfarclas 105 full cask strength about 70% that should help easy the malady, shame I cannot imbibe anymore due to meds 😭

But by ekk thou has dun a great job on the anti windage panels

My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #358 on: June 28, 2018, 07:12:58 AM »

Doing this from my old (and slow) laptop. The Windows 10 no choice but to do it, we're here to improve your PC etc  'new update' has totally and utterly buggered up my PC  >:(
Regards for now - a very despondent Ol Tug ::)

Tug - have you thought about trying Ubuntu https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop or another similar Linux distribution? I have used nothing else for the last 5 years or so and never looked back. Fast, clean, user friendly, stable... and absolutely free. There is even a handful of CAD applications in the software library, again all free, though I can't vouch for any of them as I haven't used them. I have no vested interests - am just one of the many who have found a better (and zero-cost) alternative to the horrors of Windows.

gary

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #359 on: June 28, 2018, 09:23:44 AM »
Thanks Gary - I have heard others mention the virtues of Linux in the past. I have checked the link and it seems very pronmising.

Not being a 'techie' by any means I'll have a word with the guys in the shop to see about sorting something out. I'm certainly not impressed with the way Windows 10 exercises control over your computer without you having an option >:(

Good luck with that boiler - have confidence in what you set out to do and you'll be fine  :ThumbsUp:

Regards - Tug

PS Apart from an irritating cough feeling much better today guys  :ThumbsUp:  Time to check that boat out :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 09:48:19 AM by Ramon »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal