Author Topic: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project  (Read 94622 times)

Offline jeff l

Re: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project
« Reply #330 on: June 25, 2018, 03:36:00 AM »
outstanding !

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #331 on: June 25, 2018, 03:48:44 AM »

Dave - the nuts are dummys - I'll explain more a bit later

I'm very interested in that one too - all looks wonderful!
 :popcorn:

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #332 on: June 25, 2018, 07:49:17 AM »
Morning guys, Well, I got my cup of tea but didn't get much further as I had a surprise visitor in my old flying (model) mate who moved to Cornwall several years ago. He's up here on hol so called in on spec. It is said that when we get together that we are as bad as each other so we had a lot of noisy and hilarious catching up to do - you'd have to know David to appreciate that :lolb:

Did get the crankshaft trimmed to length beforehand in so hope to get it all assembled today - pics and explanation later.

Have a good day then - I'm intending to  ;) - Ol Tug

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #333 on: June 25, 2018, 08:21:51 PM »
Hi Tug, These flywheel covers are beautiful. Something I should keep in mind for my large, may be, future Corliss project.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #334 on: June 25, 2018, 10:24:28 PM »
Hi Achim, Nice to hear from you, thanks for your kind comments  :ThumbsUp: It's been time consuming and a bit tedious at times but the end result has been well worth the effort I feel.

I was hoping to have the flywheel in place today but one of those streaming eyes and nose summer colds has set in which tends to get in the way. Whatever I do now have the crankshaft finished and also one cover board ready to fit with the other not far behind  :)

Re those eccentrics - you may recall I decided not to split them as per full size due to the difficulty of tightening the bolts. However the discussion at the time lead me to think I should at least try to give that impression.

This was how they were when first done

I don't have any pics of the op but first off was to hold the eccentric on a mandrel in the lathe and setting the two flat faces vertical a line was scribed using a sharp pointed tool on it's side across the centre line. (Edit) The lathe spindle was locked on the bull wheel then rotated through 90 degrees to scribe the line)
The corners in the cut out were then filed to allow a 5BA nut to sit inside. It was then set up on the mill and two holes drilled through the rim to break through into the cut out.

A bolt was threaded into a nut to give the right amount of protrusion and loctited in place. The threaded part was cut off below the nut leaving about 5mm. This was then wiggled into the hole until the nut sat flat against the face. In order to acheive this some of the lower threaded part had to be filed away. Once satisfied the nut was held with a drop of cyano. As this was not likely to hold totally secure the through holes were then back filled with JB Weld making sure it was well poked down the hole to surround the threaded portion.

The eccentrics were finally set in position today - the shaft had been scribed with two lines at the inlet and exhaust lead angles relative to the dowel hole which would secure the crank web. You can just make out the lines on shaft and eccentric in this pic. At this stage the crank web has yet to Loctited in position

The crank pin was turned from En1a free cutting MS and the banjo oiler boss from brass. Must admit tapping those three 12BA holes with two taps that to be fair have definitely seen better days made for a few anxious moments.
The black ring at the far side is the closing ring for the inner cover board hub parts

Well that's as far as progress got today - hopefully it will all be back in place tomorrow.

Hope that explains the 'dummy' eccentrics ok Dave and Chris

Time for a hot toddy and a warm bed me thinks

That's it then for tonight, regards for now - Tug
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 10:49:13 PM by Ramon »

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #335 on: June 25, 2018, 10:31:04 PM »
Good lord, it is your bedtime. Beautiful machining and brilliant “slide of hand” . Men have made millions on an “illusion”  :ThumbsUp:

Cletus

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #336 on: June 26, 2018, 12:25:34 AM »
I jumped in and then realized I must look away.
Awesome.
That's the kind of work (like much on this forum) that makes me wonder how I can ever even get close. And I mean close in the sense of miles (or kilometers).
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #337 on: June 26, 2018, 01:18:06 AM »
Thanks Tug

I appreciate you taking time to explain this very nice little detail.

Dave

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #338 on: June 26, 2018, 11:11:10 AM »
Late start today guys - nose still requiring attention - two boxes of tissues down -three to go I think ::)

Whiskey - long been a believer of slight of hand  but making millions  :o really?? I've gone sadly wrong somewhere as so far not a bloody penny has crossed my itchy palm :lolb:

Zee - we all start somewhere and all that we do is relative to each others output. Never be put off - just do your best at what ever level you are comfortable with and enjoy every minute - our time at it won't last long :ThumbsUp:

You're welcome Dave  :) - now, it's time for a coffee and a venture out to the ol shid to see if I can get that flywheel fitted at last  :)

Back a bit later perhaps - Tug

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #339 on: June 26, 2018, 08:58:19 PM »
This is beautiful work.

Thank you very much for your help with my boiler.

gary

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #340 on: June 26, 2018, 09:15:43 PM »
Hi Tug,

Just jumped in here and am not up to speed on the back stories, but I think those two eccentrics should be mounted in a velvet lined shadow box and mounted on the wall!

Most skillful and creative work Tug.

Cheers...John

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #341 on: June 26, 2018, 09:23:28 PM »
Hi Gary - you're welcome, thanks for looking in - you too John - thanks for the comments :ThumbsUp:

Been a bit of a hot one today but fairly cool in the shid  :)

I had bolted the 'solid' hub to one cover yesterday but run out of steam so today, albeit a late start, it was in to fit those boards with luck.

First off though I had overlooked that the keys would need attention so some time was spent filing these to fit individually to each key way so that they just tapped home tight on the last mil or so.

The hub ring and cover board on the eccentric side was placed over the shaft first then the keys fitted. The flywheel does have a grub screw but this serves more to keep the wheel on the shaft  in the correct place laterally whilst the keys are fitted.

The first half of the hub located

Followed by the second and the outer ring held in place by twenty 10 BA bolts. The closing ring has a temp hex head in but these will be square headed dog screws eventually.

Four more keys in the second side and second cover board was fitted.

A quick clean away and at last the flywheel is back where it should be hopefully for the final time. Despite the break down of the parts there appears to be no misalignment on rebuild and the flywheel turned with ease albeit without the top bearings.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ13Q7VOilU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ13Q7VOilU</a>

That's it for a day or two - fading fast with this bloody summer cold but want to get that new yacht ready for the open day on Saturday

Thanks for looking in, back soon - Tug

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #342 on: June 26, 2018, 09:26:12 PM »
That looks incredibly good!!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Online sco

« Reply #343 on: June 26, 2018, 09:33:04 PM »
Smooooth as silk!  ;D
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #344 on: June 27, 2018, 12:43:42 AM »
 :o

Very very good.  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal