Author Topic: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project  (Read 94592 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Re: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project
« Reply #315 on: June 17, 2018, 10:53:52 PM »
Guys -

Mice, Men and plans best laid have been the order of the day for what seems like weeks now - one step forward two back scenario  ::)

Patio's revitalised, raised beds re-edged, dahlia patches dug and planted, tomato's planted and shed roof fixed. Age is becoming a real factor and to coin a local phrase 'Oi don't bloody loike it'. Brain still thinks like a thirty year old - the body rapidly reminds me that it's not  :old:

Apologies for not keeping up with what you've all been up to but hope to be back to some semblance of normality this week  ;D

As a well meaning friend from over the pond would say  'Y'all keep callin now ya hear'

Not quite (yet) frum tha ol shid - Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #316 on: June 21, 2018, 10:46:16 PM »
Hi Guys - been a tiring day driving to pick up a new yacht - a real beauty so worth the effort but no time in the workshop today.

I have got myself back to square one on the flywheel boarding at last and did this yesterday  - this is the first side, all boards bonded to the ali backplate with the Slo Zap with a drop of the thin Zap wicked around the outer and inner edges. Boards have been stained and an initial coat of French Polish applied.

Now too sure how trepanning that to size will go as that ali is pretty claggy stuff. Found that out when drilling previously so have decided not to drill for rivets after all in case of drill breakages as before.

Just that one pic I'm afraid but we are ready to go again  ;)

Regards - Tug

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #317 on: June 21, 2018, 11:16:14 PM »
Good Lord Ray Dar, they is a whole bunch of planks in that flywheel. Gonna be beautiful

Cletus

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #318 on: June 21, 2018, 11:56:36 PM »
Looks good Tug, moving forward again.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #319 on: June 22, 2018, 05:47:04 PM »
Really nice looking, Tug!

I know its just the camera perspective and all, but the picture makes it look like its very eccentric!  I'm sure the wedge shaped planks really add to that illusion.  But it looks great! Nice fit all around.

Kim

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #320 on: June 22, 2018, 06:53:57 PM »
Dang you noticed Kim  :ROFL:

Well it fits the flywheel ok - working on the second side now - more later

Yep nice to be back on it Craig  :ThumbsUp:

and yes looking 'sharp' eh Whiskey - ol Ray Zorr

Regards - Tug :)

« Reply #321 on: June 22, 2018, 09:45:17 PM »
In Tennessee accent he replies: “ You just ain’t a darn toot’n Tuwg, Boy I bet that sucker is gonna look real good when it’s a finished. Hand me a beer, it’s Friday” . BTW, Lou wants to do some patio renovations this year after we close the pool: would you be interested in a trip to Tennessee to lend your services  :stir: :stickpoke:. Keep ‘em coming cowboy.

Luv y’all,
Whiskey

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #322 on: June 22, 2018, 09:59:00 PM »
Good to see you back on this one Ramon. Hope this time will go much better for you.

Bill

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #323 on: June 23, 2018, 07:25:23 AM »
Bag packed, trowel in one hand and knee pads in place  - Hell Whiskey you do make me crease  ;D

Yes Bill, it's going (much) better so far this time - I'm hoping it will all be done today so will post some pics later - I'm now off to 'tha ol shid' for an early start

Regards - Tug

that's aka Ray Zalarf to you Whiskey  :D

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #324 on: June 23, 2018, 11:26:36 PM »
Well it's been a good day in 'tha ol shid' for sure  :)

Got the second planks all bonded to the ali plate and had it all turned and test fitted at close of play  :) :)

First up on these parts was to tre-pan the centres out to take the hub plates. The HSS tool was not quite 1.5mm wide ground with a little side rake and the trailing side ground at an acute angle to thin the tip down to about .5mm wide. Once through the wood method was to plunge in a few thou at a time then face toward the centre a couple of mill to give swarf clearance. Once break through occurred then the hole was opened .5 mm a time until the hub would just fit. The ali was really horrible stuff to turn, real 'claggy' and built up on the tool very quickly. The usual lubricant, paraffin, wd40 etc was out due to it potentially soaking into the wood parts. Just a lick of Tapmatic fluid applied to the tool had to suffice with very small cuts and slow feed being the order.

A backing plate was turned from particle board with an ali boss that located over the dowel and aligned the part. This was to maximise holding pressure once the screws were removed. A sheet of copy paper beneath helped enhance the grip as well. A degree of anxiety was there when doing the bores but nowhere near what there was on turning the outside once those screws were out. Another tool was ground similar to the first but with a reverse profile for cutting inwards.

This was the first one off ....

....which was quickly tried to see what it would look like

The second one set up today waiting (impatiently) for the French Polish to go off fully before machining.

Finished parts ready for a 'dry run'

Closer look at the parts - the keen eye might spot the faux split line and the dummy nuts/studs now fitted to the eccentrics ;)

And finally that dry run before getting to grips and finishing of the crankshaft at last

With all the household stuff that's got in the way for the last few weeks I'm really pleased that at last I can now move forwards on the rest of the build. That set back with having to ditch the previous attempt was a disappointment but mainly from a time perspective - it's good to be back on track so hope to make some steady progress from this point on.

Regards then with a successful outcome frum tha ol shid - Ol Tug  :) :) :)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #325 on: June 24, 2018, 12:09:03 AM »
Wow that's beautiful Ramon!
The boarded flywheel is going to add some nice detail to an already spectacular model.

BTW How do you tighten the nuts in the eccentric cutouts?

Dave

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #326 on: June 24, 2018, 01:41:33 AM »
There's only one thing to say:
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #327 on: June 24, 2018, 07:12:35 AM »
All turned out very nicely Ramon, are you going to add the fixing detail to the planks now they are in place or just leave as is?

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #328 on: June 24, 2018, 03:11:31 PM »
Hi Guys thanks for looking in  :ThumbsUp:

Been out all day so far enjoying the sun/shade of glorious woodland  :)

Dave - the nuts are dummys - I'll explain more a bit later

Jason - I've decided (at this stage) to leave as is. Main reason is the claggy nature of that ali, it really is a pig to drill with a 0.8mm drill and as with the machining using a lubricant is not practical. Rather than risk a broken drill (for the second time) I think I'll leave this as is. I don't think it will be too noticeable, especially when running.

Time for a cup of tea and a start on the crankshaft  ;)

Regards for now - Tug

« Reply #329 on: June 25, 2018, 02:31:37 AM »
Tug, looks so damn good, I ain’t even gonna try to be funny. This one is destined to be a true “showmans” engine. Give Sue my regards.

Cletus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal