Author Topic: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project  (Read 92426 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project
« on: December 06, 2017, 02:39:37 PM »
Hello again guys - it seems quite a while since I posted the last few words on the Wide a Wake and as mentioned elsewhere since Sue retired September last the year has disappeared before our eyes. I owe two nice people long overdo emails - sorry George and Sandy I really will be in touch soon and feel quite guilty for lack of input and tardiness - howeverrrr ...

I’ve been working on this project for the past few weeks. Now truth to tell as I’m sure Simon will be the first to testify to I have debated whether or not to post about it. Not for any other reason than that of  – TIME.  As I get older ‘time’ becomes ever more precious and what is done with it becomes ever more important not to do something that sees no benefit

Posting (a build log) unfortunately does take considerable time for little if any benefit so I’m now reluctant to commit myself to another Wide a Wake journey. That said I do miss the contact on here so what to do?

With the lighthearted ‘Swarf Making’ thread having backfired though to be fair I have had some nice PMs as a result and another pleasing one from Jadge to redress the situation I guess the only thing to do is totally put that to one side and pop some pics up of this project in the hope that it may generate some interest rather than any anguish. It won’t be a build log as such just a few pics from time to time to show the latest progress but hopefully some will enjoy it a bit more than pics of my swarf production. I can’t explain the inability for some to see one of my pics on that thread – I could see them clearly enough on my PC so hopefully this will not occur again. Please say if these pics don't show.

OK, the engine -

I bought these castings in 1997. They were the first ones for this engine produced by Peter Southworth as a result of a conversation we had previously had. Originally bought as a Twin Tandem engine one half was later passed to my friend John in exchange for two new flywheel halves and an outer pedestal, the original four part flywheel having been made in ‘97 as a hedge against threatening redundancy. The parts for this flywheel were all machined at home but once bolted together the grooving was carried out at work.

It’s all sat under the bench since then. Don’t know when the decision to ‘split in two’ was made but that’s some time back too. Last year I decided to make the base – thinking being that if I did make it then I wanted to build it up as it progressed and not fit it to a temporary base. Hopefully with the several mating surfaces involved this would hedge off any potential inaccuracies on re-assembly.

The base was made as sturdy as possible using some multi layered ply coined from a redundant crate whilst still at work. The top is 3/4” thick MDF board and the top surface is Formica glued in place with epoxy resin. The ‘mahogany’ surround was sawn and planed from an old table top.

With thoughts gathering to an impending start a dry mock up was in order

Then first off was to establish datum faces on the bed plate castings. The lower faces were filed to sit flat on the surface table without rock then set up on the mill to create a datum face. These were certain high points like the hold down bolt pads and flanges

The castings were then set up on these points and the lower faces milled to give a true datum and a finished face

The CI castings – only five were used – the two main bedplates, the cylinder plinth, the HP cylinder and the pedestal bearing. All remaining ‘castings’ have been machined from solid material. The castings themselves were truly superb to machine - not a hint of a hard spot or blow hole and with plenty on the major surfaces to machine. The only area where they proved marginal was the width of the bolting flanges on the bedplates but as two of these were going to be done away with that wouldn’t be an issue. The other – for bolting the cylinder plinth to – was milled away and an insert screwed and JB Welded in place. The last casting, in gunmetal is the air pump which will be tackled later.

Well, I think that’s it for the first post – as usual I hope this will be of interest to some - obviously any questions please fire away. Please don't expect anything too regular - late night posting is out it will have to be when it can befitted in during the day - now the second main bearing's bore needs turning to.

Regards - Ramon (Tug)

Some may remember that because there are several 'Tug Wilson's' I began on here using my given name to avoid possible confusion. I think it's fair to say enough water has run under the bridge on here to know which one this one is. Most, virtually all, use 'Tug' - I'll leave it to you what you want to do. As Zee says I'll answer to anything but 'oi you' or 'Raymond'  :)
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 02:47:24 PM »
Wow - that is one impressive flywheel! This looks to be a very interesting build, hope you do continue the build log!

:popcorn:

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 03:14:58 PM »
Thanks for the progress report as it is interesting to see where all that swarf originated from. I have seen a set of the Twin Tandem compound castings in the flesh and it is certainly a big beast that will weigh rather a lot when complete, I expect the base is heavy enough maybe adding legs to it and displaying as a table would be an option rather than trying to find a suitably strong shelf.

GM seems a bit of an odd choice for the pump casting as it is the one that is likely to see the least moisture, was there a reason it was used or just easier to cast the shape?

J

Online sco

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 03:22:11 PM »
Tug,

Always get nuggets of inspiration from your pictures or words so are happy to see you post something on this monster undertaking.

:popcorn:

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 03:23:34 PM »
Tug............this is a really interesting project.............please keep this build log going when you get the time. As for benefit........build threads are a huge benefit for all of us and is what makes MEM such a fun place to hang out. Also, the source of knowledge they generate.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 05:37:18 PM »
Amazing Ramon....that is one size LARGE model!!! :o

Bill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 06:34:17 PM »
Tug............this is a really interesting project.............please keep this build log going when you get the time. As for benefit........build threads are a huge benefit for all of us and is what makes MEM such a fun place to hang out. Also, the source of knowledge they generate.

Jim

Jim said it well!! Keep it coming, Tug!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Bertie_Bassett

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 07:35:31 PM »
my you have certainly been busy! good to see where all that swarf came from  :ThumbsUp:

keep up the good work and please share when you can, we all like too see how others are progressing and gain ideas on how to do something.

one day ill finish a project before starting another!
suffolk - uk

Online vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 07:38:43 PM »
Pulling up a chair and some popcorn.

Vince

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 07:45:26 PM »
Hi Tug, good to see you back in the shop with this exciting project.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:50:44 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 08:24:26 PM »
Hi Ramon,
This model and your workmanship are an inspiration. Having seen the bits in the flesh at Forncett and thinking "I'd like to make one of those" I'll be following along with a lot of interest.
Regards, DT
Don't die wondering!

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 08:29:42 PM »
Ramon

I am curious to know what finish you are intending on the top of the base board.

I have just finished wood planking the one for Agnes, and it has turned out very well IMHO, I was originally going to do the black and white chess board tiled effect but thought it would look a bit OTT and distract the attention from the engine itself.

Phil

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 08:33:01 PM »
Ramon always good to follow your educational post and glad to see you on a project again my friend.

:cheers:
Don

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 08:33:14 PM »
Tug the onset looks great. You’re intro into the thread is a testament to your heart felt feelings for modeling  :cheers: :cheers:

Cletus

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 10:53:28 PM »
Always enjoy your posts Ramon, er, Tug (I'll get used to that pretty soon, I'm sure :)).
Thanks for posting the start of your build.  I will look forward to reading whenever you see fit to post!
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal