Author Topic: Hi from Seattle!  (Read 1902 times)

Offline natbr

Hi from Seattle!
« on: November 29, 2017, 06:37:15 AM »
Hello,
I was infatuated with steam engines as a kid and assembled a Stuart V10  as probably a 15 yo.  Fast forward, 35 years and I took it out of storage (in great shape) and getting back into it with my son.  Had built a 3 foot ocean going tug for the plant to power ...

But I'm a complete novice when it comes to metalwork.  Wondering if there are any members in the Seattle area (looks like there might be on the mem map)  -- I'm trying to locate a venue to learn basic metal lathe-work and milling.

If anyone has any ideas ... sing out!

-- Nat

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Hi from Seattle!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 04:28:19 PM »
Hi Nat,
Welcome to the forum!
Sorry, I'm not from Seattle, but a few hours south of you (in the Portland meto area).

Have you looked for a Maker's club up in the area? They might have a lathe & mill for use by members.

Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 05:20:26 PM »
Hi Nat and also, welcome to MEM. This is a great hobby but quite addictive as well. AS Kim said, finding a local Maker space would be ideal from a hands on perspective, but we are here to help as much as we can via this medium as well. Welcome to the world of model engineering :)

Bill

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 05:22:19 PM »
But I'm a complete novice when it comes to metalwork.  Wondering if there are any members in the Seattle area (looks like there might be on the mem map)  -- I'm trying to locate a venue to learn basic metal lathe-work and milling.

If anyone has any ideas ... sing out!

-- Nat

Nat: You might look around at the colleges and community colleges. Some may have machining classes. Usually an inexpensive way to get some training. You could sign up for a class with your son. Our local technical institute has an extension in Seattle but I believe only for Boeing employees. There must be others in the area.

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 05:39:30 PM »
Nat,

I'm in Woodinville, so pretty close by.  As far as learning how to use the machines...I kinda learned it on my own over the years, being a mech/aero engineer and hanging out around machinists all the time.  I bought my own mini lathe (Harbor Freight, or as we call it "Hazard Fraught") years ago to be able to make my own prototypes and tools, it's an education in itself, and we have a drill-mill that more or less works ok here at work.  There are some really good videos about machining on YouTube too, but mostly they kind of assume you know the basics.

I have heard good things about both Lake Washington Tech and Renton Tech as schools to teach machining/use of machines.  Someday I may take a class or two on CNC, if only to have access to somebody else's CNC to learn on :).  There are some maker orgs around, but I've never looked.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 07:26:24 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I'm round the other side of the world but there will be plenty of online help available on here  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 01:17:22 AM »
Welcome to MEM Nat!

There used to be a group of model engine and HSM guys that met once a month or so at the old power plant at Boeing field. I'm not sure if they still do that or not but you may be able to check it out and see.

Dave

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 07:59:58 PM »
Welcome!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal