Author Topic: Proxxon MF70  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Proxxon MF70
« on: December 04, 2017, 08:14:31 AM »
Does anyone have any experience of this little mill? I currently have a TBM220 with a self made fine feed for small milling jobs but the column is not rigid enough. One of the local suppliers has quite a good offer on the MF70 so I am thinking about buying one.

http://www.suter-meggen.ch/detailseiten/Proxxon_27110.php

GoCNC offer a complete CNC upgrade for EUR 360 for a Linux/parallel port version or EUR 460 for a CNC studio/USB version which might encourage me to start to learn CNC.

https://gocnc.de/shop/en/cnc-router/385/proxxon-mf-70-cnc-custom-kit

I am aware that it is a lightweight machine, but that is an advantage as it can be put on a shelf when not needed or be taken upstairs to the apartment for learning CNC  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
Re: Proxxon MF70
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 07:49:31 PM »
Hi Roger,
my Proxxon FF500 has also an Aluminium column and this machine is doing all my CNC work without any issue.
Learn CNC in the living room, you will have fun.
My first trials were done with a toothpick in the chuck instead of a cutter, so I couldn't brake anything.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 09:41:30 PM »
Hi Roger

I do not know the Mf70 directly but I guess I can estimate what it is capable of.
In my oppinion, the question is what you want to do with it.
If you want to engrave things and mill really small parts (1mm endmills) then its ok.
But as soon as you say 3mm endmill in aluminium or brass, you will have a lack of torque. And rather high speeds.

Of course it would help you learn cnc but then you would again only be able to machine really fine stuff.

In case you intend to machine bigger stuff, I would rather look around for a little milling machine in the size fo a mini mill. Those machines are not doing huge stuff but they can produce chips and not just dust  ;)

Florian
ps: Oh and I have just seen that the spindle motor of this machine has the same power and rpm like the one of my Proxxon IBS. This works for a 1mm drill but not much bigger. (not enough torque)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:47:20 PM by Florian Eberhard »

simplyloco

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 09:45:52 PM »
Proxxon BFW/40E

I've had one of these for more than ten years, and it is excellent provided one recognises its limitations.  However, insert a 6mm 3 flute end mill in the highly accurate collet chuck and it is in its element!
John
https://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/20165.php

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 08:30:46 AM »
Thank you for your replies/thoughts. I already have the Hobbymat lathe/mill combination for larger work. For smaller objects the head and chuck (ER25) tend to obscure the view. I have used my modified TBM220 for milling out the cavity in pistons and shaping small rocker arms but the small diameter column and diecast base are really not rigid enough. This is the type of work I would be looking at the MF70 for. The smaller 'mini mills' are still too big to be put away on a shelf (my bench space is very limited).

I note the comments about torque and speed however looking at the exploded diagram I think it would be possible to move the motor back and add a 2 or 3-1 reduction and then turn the top cover round. It would also not be too difficult to make a new spindle with an ER11 collet chuck.

Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 02:48:56 PM »
Best regards

Roger

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 06:17:00 PM »
Hey Roger

Well the price is pretty high and then the gears are not even hardened. It would be a lot cheaper to use the gears from an old cordless drill (and even more durable since those are hardened)

Florian

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 07:38:34 PM »
That was my thoughts and an ER11 chuck with a plain shank from CTC  is around 15 (EUR, CHF, USD etc). I would probably have to use the machines at work to modify the ER11 chuck but that's all right tools can be made at work, engines have to be made in the cellar  ;)
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal