Author Topic: Unknown Generator  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Bobsmodels

Unknown Generator
« on: December 03, 2017, 05:25:07 PM »
Hi

Can anyone give me any information on this generator.  I tried cranking it over at about 800 RPM and got nothing.

thanks

Bob

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Re: Unknown Generator
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 05:31:29 PM »
Hi Bob.

My own experience with generators is to try them with a battery and see if they " motor " first.

I don't see any permanent magnets so the machine might have lost its " residual magnetic field " a motor up will bring that back.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 05:45:53 PM »
It's hard to see in the pictures but to me there is a lack of wiring/connections. There should be a pair of wires from the brushes, I only see one. It appears that the brushes are connected in opposing pairs which is reasonable. Both ends of the field windings should be available as well.
As Graham said a wound field generator needs some residual magnetic field to start off. Do you have a test meter? Can you measure the resistance of the field winding? If you can get a value we can suggest a suitable voltage to try and remagnetise it.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 06:21:57 PM »
Hi Bob, that is the proteus generator and I have all the information on it. Send me a pm with your email address. Also it is a series Generator so you need a load to see it generate output! Looks like he is using ground as a connection from one field leg to ground and a set of brushes to ground. Sering the armature and fields.

Don0
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 06:29:49 PM by Don1966 »

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 06:51:02 PM »
Don et al

It had a load on it with some bulbs.  On further investigation I found that the brush connections were not tight.  There are four brushes at about 1 , 4 , 7 and 10.  Brush 4 is connected to brush 10.  Brush 10 goes to one side of the output.  The outer coils go to the other side of the output.  Brush 10 had loose connection and did not seat on armature.  I fixed those and put the bulbs in.  I cranked it up and the bulbs came on.  Looks like lots of options with the brushes, and the position of the brush ring can move.  That I could set them to any clock position.  I want to run it at about 600 rpm so until I see

I just got everything and read over it.  Guess who lives down the road (well about 30 miles) from me - Duane Dehnicke, been to each others shop a number of times.  Completely forgot he was knowledgable in this area.  guess he gets a call or visit.

Thanks again all

Bob

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 07:18:18 PM »
It looks like a kit put out by DM a number of years ago.   Long since out of production

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 07:19:20 PM »
Looks like Don nailed it....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!