Author Topic: Kim's Shop Remodel  (Read 12750 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Kim's Shop Remodel
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 06:13:18 PM »
Thanks Shopshoe! :)
Sounds similar to what one of my former bosses uses to say; "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."   :Lol:
Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 10:42:52 PM »
Before Christmas, while I was moving things around and cleaning up, I’d spent a couple days on a better solution for my small parts storage.  Right now it’s just a stack of Plano boxes.  And the one I want is always on the bottom, so I have to move everything to get to the parts I want.

Wouldn’t some kind of slide in shelving be nice for these?

So, I took some old plywood, and some 1” aluminum angle, and made some.

Here’s my raw pieces, with a whole bunch of 6” lengths of aluminum angle, drilled and counter sunk:

Here I’ve mounted a bunch of them, regularly spaced, to two sides of the shelf.

Then assembled it into a box, like so:

And filled it with Plano boxes (or the cheap Harbor Freight equivalent :)

And this is where they now live, up on the top of a NEW modular shelving unit that I got for Christmas (now this WAS a surprise :))

And yes, they are all bolted to the wall behind, so I am earthquake proofed!

Kim

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 11:10:31 PM »
I like that idea. A lot!  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 11:16:53 PM »
That's a lot of good storage Kim. Should help a lot.

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 11:47:21 PM »
And now, 4 months after it started, I’m going to claim victory over my latest ‘Shop Remodel’ :)

And to commemorate this august occasion I’m inviting you all on a virtual tour of my newly remodeled shop!

Welcome!

So that no one gets lost in my vast, expansive empire, I’ll provide you with a map.  It’s ‘mostly’ right, but don’t get hung up on too many of the little details :)

As you step past the furnace (on your right) you are now entering my shop zone.
Looking straight ahead and to the right, you can see a craftsman bench drill press (this was my grandfather’s drill press).  And beyond that, against the far wall on the bench, is the Taig mill (VERY hard to pick out against the peg board with all the tools, but it really is there!).  Don’t look too closely at the bench top.  I haven’t cleaned those off yet.
Between the mill and the bench on the far wall, is my assembly desk area.  This is where I sit and navel gaze when I’m trying to figure stuff out, or where lots of small parts get lost as I try and assemble things.

If you shift your gaze to the left, you’ll see the new mill sitting proudly in it’s new home.  Directly behind it is the 4”x7” Harbor Freight horizontal band saw.  People speak poorly of this little saw, but for under $200, it has done an excellent for the last 6 years that I’ve had it.   continuing left, you’ll see the shop crane, the California Air Compressor, and Craftsman 12” band saw (also from my grandfather).  Beyond the band saw are the bikes, covered by a large floor mat that the dog has recently vomited on, so it got set out in my shop to ‘air out’ and dry off.  Isn’t that the way it goes with shops? :)

Stepping further in, and looking behind us, gives a good view of the mill bay on the left.  The area on the other side of that post is the lathe bay.  From here, you also get a pretty good view of the new metal rack, and a corner of the welding/soldering station on the far right.

Moving in a bit farther, now you can see into the lathe bay.  You also get a better look at the desk/assembly area.  For the sharp eyed among you, you might see a little casting sitting on the desk. This is a little casting that Dave Otto recently gave me. I’m working on a plan to make this into a water pump so that I can hydro-test the boiler for my steam tractor.  But that’s going to be covered in other posts in the future. :)

Now we’ve moved down along the benches and are standing right in front of the outside door, looking back toward the lathe bay.  (You can see this door in the first picture of the shop).  Again, the metal rack and the welding/soldering station are on the right.  On the left is a 1 ton HF arbor press, a marginal sheet metal sheer (also HF) and a some deburring wheels.  This whole table is on castors and can roll around as needed.

Moving on around the perimeter of the shop, standing in front of the welding/soldering station and looking back toward the center of the shop.  This gives you a better view of the rolling table (it’s quite sturdy) with the deburring wheels. On the lower level of that table you can see a bunch of Rubber Maid type containers (they are actually Sterelite). Soon, these will be sitting on some short shelves along there and will contain my short pieces of metal stock.  The Ridgid compressor will move to an undisclosed location.  On the left there, you can see just the corner of the fence for a Jet Table saw.  And above that, on the corner of the bench is a Ryobi Disk/Belt sander, that has seen heavy use for many years.

Moving around and standing in front of the lathe bay, you can clearly see that I’m not really moved in to the new shop arrangement. I’ve got lots of stuff piled on top of the table saw (left) and the bench along the far wall.  Again, on the white toped rolling table is my mini HF Break Press.  And just behind that, but before you get to the assembly desk is the scroll saw.

And that’s about it for the tour.   Hope you enjoyed it.  I certainly did, and would be happy to have you all over again sometime soon!

Next time, stay for a coke and some cookies! :)

Thanks,
Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 11:48:40 PM »
Hey Bill and Zee,
Thanks for looking in and commenting on my little parts holder shelves!  I didn't notice you'd posted till after I'd posted the whole shop tour!  Hope you enjoy that too :)

Thanks,
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 12:21:46 AM »
Very nice setup!  But you forgot to point out which shelf the shop elves live on! 
 :cheers:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 12:49:40 AM »
Very nice shop.  :ThumbsUp: And I'm envious of the lighting. (I could certainly use more.)

Where's the computer?  ;D

P.S. I have the same horizontal band saw and have been very happy with it.
The only complaints I've ever heard about has been the stand.
I built a mover's dolly and mounted mine on it.
If you do the same...be sure the wheels are outboard enough.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 12:58:32 AM »
Thanks for the tour Kim. You have put a lot of work into reorganizing the shop space. I noticed the radial 5 in a couple of the pictures. So where is the traction engine hiding out :)

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 01:09:32 AM »
Hey Kim

Wow, you have come a long way, and have put together a very nice shop!
Table saw? isn't that just another horizontal surface that collects stuff?  :lolb:

Thanks for the tour,
Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 05:58:56 AM »
Thanks Chris, Zee, Bill and Dave, for stopping by.

Very nice setup!  But you forgot to point out which shelf the shop elves live on! 
 :cheers:
The shop elves pretty much own the place.  They dictate where they want to be.  Much of the time they hang out at the farthest back corner under the bench against the wall. I'm quite sure that if I ever move those benches I'll find all the bright shiny things I've dropped over the years!  :Lol:

Very nice shop.  :ThumbsUp: And I'm envious of the lighting. (I could certainly use more.)

Where's the computer?  ;D
For this expansion I added two 8' LED lights.  They are really nice!  If one of the 8' florescent tubes ever goes, I'm replacing it with an 8' LED for sure.

The computer is in the den in the house.  I use my phone if I need to look something up out in the shop :)

I noticed the radial 5 in a couple of the pictures. So where is the traction engine hiding out :)
The traction engine is in a box on that same messy bench.  In the first picture you can almost see it - its just to the left of the Taig Mill, below a row of red handled files.  If you zoom in, you can see the copper boiler sticking out at a jaunty angle there :)

Table saw? isn't that just another horizontal surface that collects stuff?  :lolb:
Clearly, that is the case for me!  I do try to keep it clear so that I can use if for important things.  I've found if I set the wrong stuff on it, it can induce rust :(  (anything that's wet, of course).

Don't forget to grab a cookie on the way out!

Thanks for stopping by!
Kim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 08:48:44 AM »
Excellent remodeling  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I'm envious of the amount of space you have.
Best regards

Roger

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 01:19:25 PM »
That's a very nicely organized shop that shows the thought that you put in. I envy the new things you got to add as your built it.

Congratulations and a wish for many happy hours there.

ShopShoe

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 11:46:31 PM »
Thanks Roger and ShopShoe!
I plan to enjoy it!  ;D
Kim

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2018, 07:26:26 PM »
Excellent remodeling  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: I'm envious of the amount of space you have.

Hi Kim, as Roger said.
I am jealous.
Kind Regards
Achim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal