Author Topic: Kim's Shop Remodel  (Read 12724 times)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Kim's Shop Remodel
« on: December 03, 2017, 02:03:19 AM »
I’ve started my new shop remodel.  The basic idea is to clear out the cruft that has gathered over the last several years to free up space.  More specifically, there’s a set of shelves that kind of divides the garage into two halves – my shop, and the family ‘storage area’.  My plan is to move those shelves over about 6 feet and get rid of most of the storage area that is mostly bikes and boxes and old things we need to get rid of.

Here’s the previous state of the garage.  I’ve hand lettered in a few important things. Most importantly “Shelves” are the divider shelves I mentioned.   Furnace, is of course the furnace, and the water heater.  Bikes – that’s the “storage” side and I’m working to decrease the number of bikes and stuff we currently store. Desk is a folding table I use for a workbench. You see lots of pictures of that – it has the big cutting mat on it.  And “OA” is the Oxy Acetylene torch – my soldering station.  Its actually more cramped than it looks.

Here are the before pictures.  The first two are the storage side of the garage:

You can see the ‘entrance’ into the shop here:

Just as you go past the shelves into the “shop” side, you can see my workbench with the Taig Mill on it – back against that far wall, and the desk in the foreground to the left.

Looking to the left from the same position, you can see the Grizzly lathe on the left, the Oxy-Acetylene setup there in the middle.  There is some extra stuff in the picture – I’ve started purchasing some of the new stuff for my shop renovation.  The boxes behind the OA is one of Harbor Freight’s finest rolling tool boxes.  They had them on sale over TGiving weekend for $299.  I decided this was the time to pick up one.

OK, that was last weekend.

Here’s my plan of where I want to go:
Again, same items labeled.  Note that the dividing shelves have been moved, as described, and a few changes made on the shop side.

And this is the progress I’ve made in a week.  This shows the shelves moved and that whole pile of stuff moved.

Unfortunately, it is still in the garage, its just been moved to the shop side.  I’m still working on getting it out of the garage.  That will take several weeks.

But today, I was able to get two more shop lights installed  - the two right along the top of the picture - barely showing - those are the new ones.

These are LED strip lights.  I’m quite pleased with them.  They make the 110W fluorescent tubes look dingy by comparison!

Anyway not a lot to show, but I feel good having made some progress!

Still have to move stuff OUT of the garage, and start rearranging things in the shop.  I’ll be doing a big overhaul of where & how I store stuff too, so this is still quite a project.

Thanks for stopping by for a look,
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Kim's Shop Remodel
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 02:09:11 AM »
Quite a lot to rearrange. Can you launch some of it into orbit with that big silver rocket off to the side?

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 02:09:56 AM »
When you finish, you can come do mine!!!    :lolb: :lolb:

I need to make a big push next summer.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 02:53:22 AM »
Looks like  good start Kim.  :ThumbsUp:

It's always amazing how stuff can come into the house (or garage), by the sack full, but goes out by the truckload!  :shrug: It seems to breed on itself and grow. I've always thought that the solution would be to cut an opening into the attic and store all the extra stuff up there. Then when it comes time to move.......................just drywall over the opening!  :naughty:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 03:48:38 AM »
It will be well worth the effort Kim. I need to do the same thing, but without as much starting or ending space as you have. Maybe one of these days.

Bill

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 05:49:44 AM »
Quite a lot to rearrange. Can you launch some of it into orbit with that big silver rocket off to the side?

Now THERE's an idea! :)

I've let my NAR/Tripolii license lapse, so I'd have to get re-licensed to launch that beast.  He was fun!  Flew on a K-motor - made lots of noise and smoke!  It got to maybe 4000 feet or so,  not quite into orbit maybe  :Lol:
But I did use dual-deploy on the chutes.  Kept it closer to the launch site on windy days!

No, it'll probably be something more mundane, like a trip to Good Will, or the landfill for stuff that has no re-use value. :(

Kim

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 05:52:09 AM »
When you finish, you can come do mine!!!    :lolb: :lolb:

How about I just give you excellent tips from afar?  8)

I need to make a big push next summer.

Pete

Yeah, I've been meaning to clean up the garage for several years.  The last good cleaning was 2013... And that was just before I got my new Grizzly lathe! :)  So there was motivation then too!

Kim

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 05:55:59 AM »
Looks like  good start Kim.  :ThumbsUp:

It's always amazing how stuff can come into the house (or garage), by the sack full, but goes out by the truckload!  :shrug: It seems to breed on itself and grow. I've always thought that the solution would be to cut an opening into the attic and store all the extra stuff up there. Then when it comes time to move.......................just drywall over the opening!  :naughty:

Jim
No kidding!
I think that's how most of the family views the garage - just put it out there - out of site, out of mind.

We've got stuff from when our youngest was kid - toys, bikes, you name it.  Now my wife is saying that nobody would let their child play with those toys because they're all coated in lead paint, or PCBs or something else.  So, I guess it's time for them to go.  Why keep them for another 10 years?  I can free up the space and put it to good use!  :embarassed:

Kim

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 05:57:16 AM »
It will be well worth the effort Kim. I need to do the same thing, but without as much starting or ending space as you have. Maybe one of these days.

Bill
Thanks Bill,
I believe that I will be pleased!  I'll look forward to seeing you do the same someday soon! :D
Kim

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 03:29:24 AM »
Just a short update.

I setup the shop crane and moved the lathe back about 3 feet. A lot of hoop-la for not much change, but it does open things up in my shop area, and that’s what this is all about.  I haven’t put the backsplash back on yet, just in case I decide I need to move it an inch to the left or something, but I think its in about the right spot.

After that task, I put together my new HF tool chest.  Had to assemble the handle and the wheels.  As one might expect, the fit & finish on the HF tool chest isn’t quite as nice as my Homak, but at half the price, I am very happy  ;D The drawers all move smoothly and the whole thing seems like it will do the job nicely!

With it assembled, my wife helped me put the tool-chest on top of the roller cabinet and it’s ready to be used.

That’s about it for today.
Kim

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 03:39:35 AM »
That tool chest will make a huge difference in your shop life, Kim.  The seemingly small stuff can make a big difference!
Lookin' good...

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 03:43:03 AM »
Another nice step forward Kim.

Man..........that Grizzly lathe was a serious upgrade from your Taig!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 03:58:56 AM »
Thanks Pete!  I'm looking forward to filling her up soon!

Yeah, my wife calls it the "Iron Lung"  :ROFL: that's what it looks like to her.
I took that step several years back.  I was originally aiming at a 8-10" bench lathe - my main goal was to get something that could do threading.  Then I started thinking about additional capability I might want, and how I didn't think I'd be able to justify another lathe any time soon, and I needed to make this one be my LAST one...  so, it started to grow.  And by the time I pulled the trigger on the order, this was the one in my cart  :Lol:

I'm quite happy with it, in spite of the fact its a Asian made lathe.  I just was never able to find any old US lathe in this area that was worth the money and had all the features I wanted.

Thanks,
Kim

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 04:38:55 AM »
Thanks Pete!  I'm looking forward to filling her up soon!

Yeah, my wife calls it the "Iron Lung"  :ROFL: that's what it looks like to her.
I took that step several years back.  I was originally aiming at a 8-10" bench lathe - my main goal was to get something that could do threading.  Then I started thinking about additional capability I might want, and how I didn't think I'd be able to justify another lathe any time soon, and I needed to make this one be my LAST one...  so, it started to grow.  And by the time I pulled the trigger on the order, this was the one in my cart  :Lol:

I'm quite happy with it, in spite of the fact its a Asian made lathe.  I just was never able to find any old US lathe in this area that was worth the money and had all the features I wanted.

Thanks,
Kim

I think I've heard that referred to as "feature creep"! Been a victim of that myself on numerous occasions.  :shrug: I hear you about old U.S. machines. Just don't know enough to be able to evaluate one.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 02:04:48 PM »
That's really looking nice. I'm in the part of my life where I am still trying to make things better but see downsizing will happen some day. On the size of new machines, since I've been on these forums I see most new machines (and shops) are larger, kind of like those who are into motorcycles: Very few riders buy smaller motorcycles when getting new ones.

And to quote my former boss when I had an input on facilities design: "Every time I ask you for a pickup, you want a three-ton truck."

Best wishes for great new projects, now,

--ShopShoe

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal