Author Topic: 2011 GEARS Steam Engine  (Read 3114 times)

Offline DD805

2011 GEARS Steam Engine
« on: November 29, 2017, 10:10:25 PM »
This post is primarily to learn how to post a picture.

I was the designer of the 2011 GEARS engine and I did all of the work from making the original prototype, developing the foundry board, working with the foundry, packaging the kits and delivering them to the show. The only thing I didn't do was the drawings. Well, I did them but everyone said they were not very good and so someone else re-drew them. Overall I am pleased with the results and so I decided to use a picture of a bronze model as my avatar.

Here is the picture that I used for my avatar.

Ok, lets see if this works. Yes after about 20 tries and a lot of changing and re-changing I got it to work and the size of the picture came out great. Something I noticed but I'm not sure it was part of the problem, was that the host name given by the Admin was lister-engine.com/ which got me to the site no problem. When I looked at the photo address on the host site the host name appears listerengine.com/ - no dash between lister and engine. This really confused things. I kept messing around with this when the real problem was I left off the last two digits of my photo ID. I ended up using a dash.

Here is another picture and this time I will omit the dash to see what happens.

Tried it both ways and both ways worked. Learned something.

Karl
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:35:16 AM by DD805 »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: 2011 GEARS Steam Engine
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 12:06:09 AM »
DD, the easiest way is simply to attach it to the end of your post especially for just a picture or two that don't need to be within the text.

Bill

Offline DD805

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 12:20:27 AM »
Bill,
Yes I am aware of the attach feature and agree it is a good way just to show a couple of pictures. I am trying to learn how to post inline because I have a couple of posts I want to make that will make better sense if post are inline. Actually, now that I have learned a few things posting pictures doesn't seem to be very difficult.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 12:30:12 AM »
To put it in line, the easiest way is to copy the image URL directly form the coppermine hosting site (listerengine.com).  Then you don't have to worry about what exact name they give their servers.  You just copy it from your clipboard.

To do this, go to your album in coppermine, find the picture you want to insert, hover over it, and use the alternate click.  It should give you a drop down menu with several options - the option you choose varies by the specific browser you're using. For Chrome, select the “Copy Image Address” option. For Explorer, select the "Copy" option.  Then go to your text editor and past the link there.  It should look something like one of these:

http://lister-engine.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10008/thumb_020d-Platform-1-DSC_1719.JPG
http://lister-engine.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10008/normal_020d-Platform-1-DSC_1719.JPG
http://lister-engine.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10008/020d-Platform-1-DSC_1719.JPG

The reason there are three versions is that when you upload a picture, Coppermine saves the one you uploaded, then it makes a thumbnail version of it, and medium sized version of it.  The one with the “thumb_” prepended to the name is, of course, the thumbnail.  The one with “normal_” prepended to it is the medium sized version.  However, you’ll want to sized the photos before you upload them, to something like 800x600.   And you’ll want to use THAT version.  The smaller ones are much smaller than will be useful in your posts.  So if, when you copy the Image Address, it has either “thumb_” or “normal_” in it, just delete those letters and you’ll get one you really want.

Of course, that URL has to be embedded in the [ img]  [/img] tags, like this:
     [ url] http://lister-engine.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10008/020d-Platform-1-DSC_1719.JPG [/img]

But without the extra space between the opening bracket and the url text (I had to put a space there otherwise it would insert the image here and not show you the text :)).

Hope that helps.
Kim
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:34:02 AM by Kim »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 12:32:08 AM »
It isn't, though the various hosting sites can have different procedures, formatting, etc. Especially with recent changes.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 12:47:28 AM »
I'm the same way Karl. I like to be able to add text for most pictures.

Here's What I do. I take all of my pictures at 640 x 480 so I don't have to resize them later.
Then I upload them to lister-engine.com
When I look at one of my albums the pictures show up as thumbnails in a film strip at the bottom.
I click on the picture I want and it shows up above.
Then I click on that larger picture and it will show up as a larger picture.
Then right click that picture and click on "copy image address"
then I go to my post I'm working on and click on "Insert Image" up in the tool bar (just below the "I") and this "[ img ] [ /img ]" shows up in my text
Click on the tiny space between "[ img ]   &    [ /img ]"
Then right click and "Paste" and your picture will show up.

Hope this helps. Once you get on to it it's really easy.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 01:00:20 AM »
You got it Karl. That is quite a nice engine too. I love the base  :ThumbsUp:

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 02:39:03 AM »
You got it Karl. That is quite a nice engine too. I love the base  :ThumbsUp:

Bill

Yes that IS a really nice engine Karl. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person one of these days............as well as your shop.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 05:29:31 PM »
Hi Karl,
I was so busy commenting on posting pics that I forgot to post on the TOPIC of the thread!

Your Gear's 2011 engine is a wonderful little engine! Thank you for designing it :)

As I mentioned previously, you're engine is the trigger that sucked me into this hobby!  I got the aluminum casting set at the 2012 GEARS show and spent the next several months learning how to build it!  I was successful, and it is a great little runner for me.  Here's a picture of my build of your design:

And a link to my "proud papa" post in the  showcase section showing my completed build.
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,1550.msg21761.html#msg21761

Not nearly as well done as your bronze version version, but it was my first!

Thanks for taking the time and effort to design the engine and the castings. I have thoroughly enjoyed it!
Kim

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 10:58:02 PM »
Cool.  Completely off topic, is there somewhere that publishes a list of shows, either on this site or others?  How do people find out about these shows, preferrably before-hand?

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 12:26:26 AM »
Most will be announced here we'll ahead of time, regardless of country or continent.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal