Author Topic: Roy's Little Engine  (Read 49827 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Roy's Little Engine
« Reply #195 on: March 26, 2018, 06:13:01 PM »
Thanks for that Graham, I'll be using that when I get around to setting up the timing  :ThumbsUp:

:-[ It was too nice outside so I spent most of the day sieving compost and putting it on my flowerbeds (having first weeded the flower beds)  :cartwheel:

A little bit of swarf was made: I scribbled up a design for the bracket to go on the flywheel for the weights, first drilled the various holes and started machining it.  Then I got side tracked  :facepalm:  into making a stand for my drawings and then having seen someone's rather nice PC mounting in his workshop decided to make use of a couple of someone's cast offs and provided MEM live streamed to the workshop  :whoohoo:

:thinking: This is getting very homely I could add a fridge... No, No wine/beer and machine shops do not mix  :hellno:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #196 on: March 27, 2018, 12:11:02 AM »
Go for it. At our age we know how to enjoy the taste without getting careless. Have a tap in my shed and I have pondered my way around more than one head scratcher whilst enjoying a cold swallow or two and a draw or two of the old pipe or hand rolled cigar. Think I still have everything but my hair and youth; Hell, even still have the good looks  :lolb: :lolb:. Still following (and trying to keep up with) all your work.  :wine1:

Big E

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #197 on: March 27, 2018, 12:14:25 AM »
Ain't seen a pic of you recently Cletus, but last i saw the hair had just moved some :lolb:

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #198 on: March 27, 2018, 01:13:25 AM »
Clean shaven as a Paris Island recruit Sir. Though I do joke that the hair on my head just relocated to different locations on my body  :lolb:  Sorry Jo  ;)

Cletus

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #199 on: March 27, 2018, 08:28:54 AM »
Though I do joke that the hair on my head just relocated to different locations on my body  :lolb:

Too much detail   :o Next you will be making out that I must like grey and wrinkly because of Surus   :ShakeHead: He's cute, ok so he has a few habits that need moulding - like his idea that all new casting sets that turn up at home belong to him  :noidea: and how he has taken to sleeping in the casting cupboard and in the middle of the night can be heard rummaging through the castings, he claims it is just him trying to get comfortable ::)

Its workshop weather today   :cartwheel:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #200 on: March 27, 2018, 06:45:00 PM »
The governor bracket was finished off with a file to make it a bit more curvy  :naughty:

Then on to the arms themselves. Using a bit of my best scrap-binium milled into a 12mm by 8 mm block the two ends were milled first on either side then turned 90 degrees and the other two sides milled. This stick could then be marked out and drilled for the pivot hoes and main bar holes. I decided that I liked the idea of big brass weights so these were turned up and the whole lot fitted together...

About this point I found another of Graham's special features   :Doh: Can you see it  ::)

Jo

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #201 on: March 27, 2018, 06:55:11 PM »
 :)  ;)  >:D

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #202 on: March 27, 2018, 08:44:41 PM »

About this point I found another of Graham's special features   :Doh: Can you see it  ::)

Jo

No ...  :headscratch:

How about letting us poor sinners off the hook and telling us ??

Dave    :cheers:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #203 on: March 28, 2018, 07:20:53 AM »
Given up  :shrug: Ok so if you look at the photo you will see that the governor arms go into that sleeve on the crank, the same one that the end of the trip arm is in. If you look at the relative positions of the two arms you will see that they are remarkably close.... actually too close  :Doh: If the arms swing  the bracket will hit the top of the bolt that the trip arm pivots in  :rant:

I had wondered why I had noticed on the RLEs that had the original tripping mechanism fitted why they had extended the middle spacing section, now I know  :(

Sorry there will be no swarf making today on the RLE I am off to my supplier to raid his castings spring collection to see if he has a pair of suitable springs for the governor and discuss a bit of engine running (the weather is not with us to be able to actually run engines  :'( ).

Jo
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:20:06 AM by Jo »

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #204 on: March 28, 2018, 09:34:24 AM »
Aw yeah ... I think ....  :headscratch:

I'll have to let you give me a demo. when I come down ...  :)

Meanwhile, here in the somewhat parky East Midlands, I shall continue junk sorting ... the shop can wait.

L.M.F.   

Dave

Offline michaelr

« Reply #205 on: March 28, 2018, 11:30:30 AM »

Jo. Before you alter anything with the governor arms/bracket, you should be able to adjust the bracket position to give clearance when it is attached to the flywheel,my RLE has the standard bracket as drawing.

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #206 on: March 28, 2018, 11:50:31 AM »
Hi Michael.

Ha, you beat me to it!   :)

Jo needs to fit the assembly to the flywheel to get a better picture of the working relationship of the parts.

There might require a little bit of " fine " finishing, I sometimes had to remove a little metal from the governor support bracket, just above the pivots.

Otherwise everything is moving forward very nicely, well done Jo.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #207 on: March 28, 2018, 04:16:54 PM »
Mike thanks for that but its your pulley that is on the crankshaft that is not standard, its a bit wider than Graham's drawings.

I'll give it a another fiddle with tomorrow Graham .... Update on my attempts to pick up a set of Governor springs from my Supplier, it failed :(

However it was not all lost as I thought I came back with a few sets of castings but it now seems I have two (Cave Cobra and an Osam) and Surus tells me his is the proud owner of a S8G (Surus' Big Gas) Engine and is busy guarding the boxes he has stuffed it in :noidea:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #208 on: March 28, 2018, 04:28:14 PM »
Tell Dumbo to get out the way so we can have a decent look at those gas engine castings ;)

Couple of biro springs with the ends bent so you can use them as tension ones work quite well as governor springs or just wind your own.

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #209 on: March 28, 2018, 04:40:07 PM »
I have loads of poi-oingies here ... about how long between centres of the end loops do you want?

I'll see if I have any. Also what sort of gauge / tension . Stiff or floppy ?? (  ;D )

Dave

EDIT Pic. Att.  You choose ....

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 05:24:31 PM by Bluechip »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal