Author Topic: Roy's Little Engine  (Read 48600 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Roy's Little Engine
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2018, 05:10:17 PM »
:headscratch: that WiFi connecting will need to be looked at again. Sorry the battery took too long to charge no pictures of swarf  :-\

The stud holes in the front of the base must not be located in the middle of the lands  :ShakeHead: if you do so the nut will hit on the side of the cylinder wall. Instead I put them at 54mm apart which gave 1mm of air.

A few family shots while I learn about this new camera...

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2018, 05:14:10 PM »
Nice pics. I assume those last three are with the new camera.

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2018, 03:48:48 PM »
Hi Bill, yes that is with the new camera. However I think Mike has the right idea I have wasted hours and hours trying to get the Wifi downloading to work.

All this time wasted on playing with the camera means that I only got a little done on the RLE today  :-\

Edit: I am totally unimpressed with the Wifi as it must have been burning through the battery power as I have only taken six picture with the new camera and am already having to recharge it  :rant: There is a Mini-B USB port on the side which is much quicker to connect up to. I don't think I will bother with the WiFi  :disappointed:

Jo
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 05:37:54 PM by Jo »

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2018, 05:54:36 PM »
That's what I do with my Sony, just plug it in and it charges off the PC while I'm accessing the photos on it.

Just need to get you to post the photos in the threads now rather than attachments, when the Fibre broadband gets connected you will have no excuse for little attachments. :LittleDevil:

Offline Manorfarmdenton

• Fearnley Contract Services
« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2018, 06:35:01 PM »
Jo - love the green colour you're using.  What is it?

John.
John Fearnley

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2018, 07:15:06 PM »
I think it is "Oxford Green" I am not sure of the make as it was given to me and the can is out in my workshop and for some reason I don't want to venture out in the minus 6 degrees it is between my house and the workshop  ::)

Jo

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2018, 07:43:07 PM »
-6°C? it was -11°C at the bus stop this morning probably lower tomorrow  ;)
Best regards

Roger

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2018, 07:53:25 PM »
Here it is -14°C every morning in the car port. We expect -17°C for tomorrow morning.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2018, 08:54:00 PM »
Here it is -14°C every morning in the car port. We expect -17°C for tomorrow morning.
Look at it this way, thats about 250something in Kelvin. Heat wave!!   :Lol:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2018, 03:18:06 PM »
Before I go any further I thought I should mount up the name plate  :) First drill the plate for the tapping drills and then square everything up on the base before drilling and tapping to mount the plate.

If you recall the crankshaft bearing caps were left over thick. the first stage was to calculate a suitable set of measurements (Graham's drawings allow plenty of scope to add measurements  ::) ) and then mill/file to suit. I chose 19mm diameter tops to the caps and 5.5mm thick bits where they clamp down.

The plates on and caps in place - not sure if the plate is that see able hidden under the hopper  :thinking:

Jo

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2018, 04:39:00 PM »
Hi Jo.

It’s taking shape now, well done.

All those “ fiddly “ bits to follow, for me personally the worst bits !! Machining castings is the most pleasurable part IMO.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2018, 09:43:46 PM »
Hi Jo

I got a bit ahead of myself with my own project (The Lauson Build) and at this point need a long reach end mill to clean out some material from the crankcase so while the end mill is in transit I’ve been taking the opportunity to look at some other threads.

While at the Cabin Fever Expo in Lebanon PA. this January I succumbed to temptation and purchased Bob Herder's Myers Engine hit-and-miss casting set.  This makes a beautiful side shaft engine and had I not been so involved in the Lauson I would probably have started it by now.

The beginning of this thread reminds me of my own purchase; you stating being a “sucker for a nice set of castings”.  I find myself with too many projects and not enough time to pursue them all.

Anyway, it’s been fun catching up on this thread (and several others) and I find myself eager to see it proceed.  Thanks for taking the time to post.

Craig
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2018, 04:08:51 PM »
Thanks Graham/Craig  :)

The beginning of this thread reminds me of my own purchase; you stating being a “sucker for a nice set of castings”.  I find myself with too many projects and not enough time to pursue them all.

There is no such thing as too many casting sets  :hellno: Think of the enjoyment to be had fondling them dreaming of the hours of workshop fun they represent.

I felt it was important to go for that original factory look and feel for the connecting rod so it took a while to find a suitable piece of stock  :naughty:

The end was milled flat and a piece for the end cap cut off. The end of the bar was then remilled square. You will notice that I did not put the bolt holes in - this is because the two holes are very small and the holes constitute long holes this means that there is a good chance the drill will wander  :Doh: Much easier to use the mill to accurately cut the holes in the cap and avoid any wandering.  The holes can then be tapped and the cap attached bolts (and superglue just in case such little bolts try unscrewing with the vibration  :facepalm2: ).

The rod can now be set up and the little end drilled and reamed and the big end bored. I have chosen to make the big end 13.5mm this just misses the bolt holes which have been spaced at 16.4mm apart (chosen so that the corners of the bolt doesn't overhang the sides of the rod). While the rod is still in the vice the two sides can have a little taken off to taken the top end down to the 6.35mm thickness while leaving a little more on the big end to support round the crank pin.

The two sides are tapered by making two buttons to go into the two holes, then drilling and tapping two holes in a piece of scrap which had been bolted onto Tgs bed having offset one of the holes by 1.6mm to provide the required taper once clamped up ;) Both sides were then milled, first once side then flip it over for the other side (actually there was a bit more flipping to make sure everything is cut centrally ).

At this point I started feeling tired  :(  and while I looked into mounting up the connecting rod for little end milling and spotted that the end of the rod was going to hit the scale  :facepalm: so a bit more thinking was required so I decided better of it. I did have a quick check of the con rod on the engine

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2018, 12:22:10 PM »
The end of the rod has been rounded and then filed. The small end has a very odd oiling arrangement  :thinking: Which is fed from a hole in the top of the piston.

The last part for the connecting rod assy is the big end bush which Sexy swarf maker has begun work on by using a slitting saw to cut through the end of a piece of bronze which was then parted off and soft soldered onto the main bar.

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2018, 01:33:07 PM »
The hole in the piston is very common on the horizontal open crank engines.

Coming along well, I'm making a conrod too :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal